Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2008, 11:19 AM

7,025 posts, read 11,411,011 times

Advertisements

“As religious leaders we understand and support the need to apprehend and arrest individuals who are responsible for felonies and other serious crimes. The enforcement of just laws is necessary for public safety and the common good. But the arrest of serious criminals is not what we have observed in the arrest and detention of immigrants that has taken place recently in our State, particularly in Newport and in Providence.”

The letter was sent to ICE in response to concerns about the spiritual and pastoral well-being of immigrants - documented and undocumented - entrusted to the care of the Catholic Church. The bishop and pastors believe that a moratorium on raids will provide the necessary time for the federal government to propose, debate and enact comprehensive immigration reform.

“What we have witnessed is that the police action of ICE against immigrants has divided the community, instilled fear in our streets, disrupted the everyday life of good people and separated family members, innocent of any crime, from one another,” the bishop and clergy added. ”The confusing and secretive detention of those arrested has further complicated the situation. As religious leaders concerned for our people we would be negligent of our pastoral duties if we didn’t speak out against these unjust government policies and practices.”

The Bishop and pastors also urged ICE officials to question the morality of their participation in immigration raids. They believe that agents should not be forced to participate in such raids if agents conclude that such actions are immoral or contrary to their personal or religious beliefs.

“…we encourage the agents and staff of ICE to evaluate the morality of their participation in immigration raids in the context of their faith and sanctity of their conscience,” the Bishop and pastors wrote. “If their discernment leads them to the conclusion that they cannot participate in such raids in good conscience, we urge them not to do so. If ICE agents refuse to participate in immigration raids in conformity with their faith and conscience, we urge the Federal Government to fully respect the well-founded principles of conscientious objection.”

http://oneoldvet.com/?p=7800#more-7800 (broken link)

Isn't aiding and abetting a felony? If caught harboring illegal aliens under the guise of providing a sanctuary, the priests should be arrested, charged and convicted and the church should have it's tax exempt status revoked.

They all seem to think they are above the law.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2008, 11:27 AM

15,171 posts, read 18,564,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDubsMom View Post
Isn't aiding and abetting a felony? If caught harboring illegal aliens under the guise of providing a sanctuary, the priests should be arrested, charged and convicted and the church should have it's tax exempt status revoked.

They all seem to think they are above the law.
Yes, this is in fact aiding and abetting. However, they won't have their tax exempt status revoked, because they are facilitating the illegal alien 'slave' trade. I wouldn't be surprised if the government is financing some of these churches. Otherwise, why are they so brazen?

Old 08-21-2008, 11:31 AM

7,025 posts, read 11,411,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
Yes, this is in fact aiding and abetting. However, they won't have their tax exempt status revoked, because they are facilitating the illegal alien 'slave' trade. I wouldn't be surprised if the government is financing some of these churches. Otherwise, why are they so brazen?
The only other reason I can think of is desperation to restock their victims for the purpose of future molestation, and to refill the coffers that were depleted as a result of the enormous settlements they've had to pay. Then again, maybe they have special insurance that covers pedophilia

Frankly, I find the hypocrits known as the catholic church officials a disgusting bunch.

Old 08-21-2008, 12:17 PM

3,645 posts, read 4,926,999 times
Quote:
The only other reason I can think of is desperation to restock their victims for the purpose of future molestation, and to refill the coffers that were depleted as a result of the enormous settlements they've had to pay. Then again, maybe they have special insurance that covers pedophilia

Frankly, I find the hypocrits known as the catholic church officials a disgusting bunch.
I couldn't agree with you more. Got to spread the love around more or I would have repped you.

Old 08-21-2008, 12:24 PM

8,185 posts, read 12,641,953 times
Quote:

Yes, all catholics are pedophile lovers.....they just love to offer the young flesh of their children to the priests. They also all eat babies at passover,oops! My bad, wrong religion smear

Old 08-21-2008, 12:26 PM

The catholic church is very liberal -- with the exception of abortion -- so this does not surprise me at all. I also wouldn't be surprised if they noticed the money to stop flowing so freely. Catholics have learned many things in the past several decades, the biggest of which is that tithing (and the lack thereof) talks.

Old 08-21-2008, 01:10 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,512,987 times
The article says - this situation is dividing the community. Well, uh, the community is made up of illegals who should not even be here. Send them all back home where they can be united. I am sure there is a Catholic church in the neighborhoods where they used to live b/f they decided to hop across the border and squat ILLEGALLY in Rhode Island.

As far as ICE agents refusing to PERFORM THE DUTIES THEY ARE HIRED TO PERFORM, they should be fired for not fulfilling their job descriptions if they refuse to round up illegals for deportation.

You gotta wonder what the Catholic Church thinks will be of benefit to THE CHURCH by getting involved in this issue. Couldn't be that attendance is down and no one will be there to fill the coffers in ethnic parishes if everyone who is in RI illegally gets sent back home, could it????

Old 08-21-2008, 01:11 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,441,267 times
compassion is good. breaking the law is not.

Old 08-21-2008, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
The article says - this situation is dividing the community. Well, uh, the community is made up of illegals who should not even be here. Send them all back home where they can be united. I am sure there is a Catholic church in the neighborhoods where they used to live b/f they decided to hop across the border and squat ILLEGALLY in Rhode Island.

As far as ICE agents refusing to PERFORM THE DUTIES THEY ARE HIRED TO PERFORM, they should be fired for not fulfilling their job descriptions if they refuse to round up illegals for deportation.

You gotta wonder what the Catholic Church thinks will be of benefit to THE CHURCH by getting involved in this issue. Couldn't be that attendance is down and no one will be there to fill the coffers in ethnic parishes if everyone who is in RI illegally gets sent back home, could it????
Ding ding ding!! We have a winner!

Old 08-21-2008, 01:26 PM

2,065 posts, read 3,594,784 times
Quote:
“What we have witnessed is that the police action of ICE against immigrants has divided the community, instilled fear in our streets, disrupted the everyday life of good people and separated family members, innocent of any crime, from one another,” the bishop and clergy added. ”The confusing and secretive detention of those arrested has further complicated the situation. As religious leaders concerned for our people we would be negligent of our pastoral duties if we didn’t speak out against these unjust government policies and practices.”
I beg your pardon?!?!?

If they were 'innocent of any crime' they wouldn't be getting arrested in raids, now would they?

Most of my family is Catholic, but NONE of them agree with this kind of blatant propaganda!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration