Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2008, 06:33 PM

7,025 posts, read 11,408,610 times

Advertisements

No doubt such protections warm the heart of the city's liberal leadership. But San Francisco's status as a sanctuary city is having unintended consequences.

The brutal and senseless murder last month of Tony Bologna and his sons Michael, 20, and Matthew, 16, at the hands of Edwin Ramos, a native of El Salvador and known member of the Mara Salvatrucha (MS-13) street gang, was a reminder that inviting illegal activity can turn deadly. The Bolognas were on their way back from a family picnic when they inadvertently blocked Ramos' car from making a left turn in the Excelsior district. When Bologna politely backed up to let the other car past, Ramos responded by opening fire and killing all three passengers. Ramos has been charged with three counts of murder, with the added penalty of street-gang involvement.

San Francisco: Sanctuary City Gone Awry
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2008, 08:11 PM

307 posts, read 522,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDubsMom View Post
No doubt such protections warm the heart of the city's liberal leadership. But San Francisco's status as a sanctuary city is having unintended consequences.

The brutal and senseless murder last month of Tony Bologna and his sons Michael, 20, and Matthew, 16, at the hands of Edwin Ramos, a native of El Salvador and known member of the Mara Salvatrucha (MS-13) street gang, was a reminder that inviting illegal activity can turn deadly. The Bolognas were on their way back from a family picnic when they inadvertently blocked Ramos' car from making a left turn in the Excelsior district. When Bologna politely backed up to let the other car past, Ramos responded by opening fire and killing all three passengers. Ramos has been charged with three counts of murder, with the added penalty of street-gang involvement.

San Francisco: Sanctuary City Gone Awry
For those who are not aware The San Francisco Chronicle is generally on the "Liberal" side of most issues.

The fact that this article is being printed in "Liberal" San Francisco's largest newspaper may very well say more about the change in America's oppions about Illegal Immigration then the words within the article.

My apologies to the many Liberals who are against Illegal Immigration for clumping you into one group.

Random

Old 07-18-2008, 08:20 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,134,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandomU View Post
For those who are not aware The San Francisco Chronicle is generally on the "Liberal" side of most issues.

The fact that this article is being printed in "Liberal" San Francisco's largest newspaper may very well say more about the change in America's oppions about Illegal Immigration then the words within the article.

My apologies to the many Liberals who are against Illegal Immigration for clumping you into one group.

Random
I still strongly sense that California will turn against its illegals-----and, it will be sudden and severe which may make Sheriff Joe here in Az come across as a illegal lover by comparison.

Old 07-18-2008, 08:46 PM

307 posts, read 522,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
I still strongly sense that California will turn against its illegals-----and, it will be sudden and severe which may make Sheriff Joe here in Az come across as a illegal lover by comparison.
You may be right. Several of my friends who used to not really care 10 years ago are now starting to get vocal on the subject. One has, unfortunately due to some bad incidents that took place with illegals, turned slightly racist towards Mexicans. He used to be one of the most easy going guys around.

Random

Old 07-18-2008, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandomU View Post

Random

That's what happens when kindness is taken for weakness, people get angry, hostile and when pushed to the end of their ropes, retaliatory. I remember when illegals were just "California's problem". Then they became the problem of all border states. Now? we're all feeling the pain that used to belong solely to the border states. Even (Chicago) Mayor Daley is crying uncle and siding with Gov. Blago (his sworn enemy) about getting the National Guard in to stop the gang violence.

Any day now, I am expecting Chicago to denounce its sanctuary status.

Old 07-18-2008, 09:24 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,134,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDubsMom View Post
That's what happens when kindness is taken for weakness, people get angry, hostile and when pushed to the end of their ropes, retaliatory. I remember when illegals were just "California's problem". Then they became the problem of all border states. Now? we're all feeling the pain that used to belong solely to the border states. Even (Chicago) Mayor Daley is crying uncle and siding with Gov. Blago (his sworn enemy) about getting the National Guard in to stop the gang violence.

Any day now, I am expecting Chicago to denounce its sanctuary status.
Soon, very soon IMHO.

Old 07-18-2008, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Soon, very soon IMHO.

From your mouth to God's ears. When that happens, I'll be able to extend my lunch time walks. It's gotten so bad downtown until its nauseating to see them walking around like zombies with 2 toddlers holding hands, one in a stroller and a bun in the oven. Despite the fact that they don't speak a word of the king's English, somehow they always manage to find the building that houses the welfare office.

Old 07-18-2008, 10:09 PM

1,242 posts, read 2,460,247 times
I doubt it. Chicago leadership sucks. They'll probably just raise or make an 'illegal' tax to offset the damage done by illegals not paying taxes. After all, all Chicago does is raise taxes. Got a problem? Nickel and dime its citizens.

Old 07-19-2008, 06:42 AM

1,474 posts, read 2,299,945 times
The Balogona family shouldn't have been the in the path of that gang member and he wouldn't have been forced to remove them.........whats so difficult to understand

Sarcasm button on

Old 07-19-2008, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronK View Post
I doubt it. Chicago leadership sucks. They'll probably just raise or make an 'illegal' tax to offset the damage done by illegals not paying taxes. After all, all Chicago does is raise taxes. Got a problem? Nickel and dime its citizens.

ITA. I sold my home in Cook County 3 years ago. Best decision I ever made. Thanks to Chicago, Cook County now has the highest sales tax in the nation -- 10.25%. With the exception of DuPage County (the last county with reasonable taxes), the property taxes are so high they would make the baby jesus weep.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration