Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2024, 10:30 AM

14,055 posts, read 13,942,709 times

Advertisements

A new program in Maine will provide asylum seekers with free housing for up to two years as cities across the country continue grappling with an influx of migrants.

Brunswick, Maine, plans to open 60 new apartments for migrants, with 24 of the units already complete, according to local news station WCSH-TV. The units are specifically planned for migrants awaiting their work permits, a process that can take more a year.

The program has enough funding to pay rent for up to two years, but migrants will need to pay 30 percent of their rent once they find a job, the news station reported.

https://www.newsweek.com/migrants-ge...tments-1859556
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2024, 06:20 AM

5,176 posts, read 3,091,598 times
Hmm, let’s see, do I continue living rent free and keep my job that pays under the table, or do I tell them I have a “real” job and fork over 30% of my paycheck?

Who comes up with these ridiculous incentive programs? Are there any competent people left in state governments?

Old 01-11-2024, 01:15 PM

1,937 posts, read 825,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimAZ View Post
Are there any competent people left in state governments?
Rhetorical question of the week!

Old 01-11-2024, 01:59 PM

24,496 posts, read 17,239,538 times
This sounds all well and good for the first 60 but what about the next 60 that are halfway to the Border right now?

60 rooms is a drop in the bucket for how many hundreds of thousands? How is this sustainable?

The "migrants" are costing us all Millions of dollars that we do not have. In my state, what they actually admit to is an estimate of $50,000,000 per month. It is no doubt more than that since tens of thousands more have come in.

Here is an idea. If these people are really coming to do the jobs that Americans won't do AND to pay taxes............ yeah right, than lets tax them as they come in. We give each "migrant" a credit card of $50,000 and they have 2 years to spend it and pay it back. If they do not pay it back then they get deported.

Old 01-13-2024, 09:47 AM

3,661 posts, read 2,948,846 times
So Biden and Obama did all of this to get even at Trump?

I can't imagine the hatred behind all of this. Its so sick what has happened to this country.

Old 01-14-2024, 12:47 PM

22,473 posts, read 12,003,345 times
I just read the article. These so-called "migrants" have no business being here. This is disgusting.

Meanwhile, Maine has its share of homeless Americans who are living in their cars. Some months back, a story was done about a family who fell on hard times and were having trouble finding a place to rent. The husband was disabled due to a job injury. The wife had a full-time job that didn't pay much. It's people like this family who should be helped first and foremost.

Old 01-14-2024, 01:30 PM

25,961 posts, read 22,126,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
I just read the article. These so-called "migrants" have no business being here. This is disgusting.

Meanwhile, Maine has its share of homeless Americans who are living in their cars. Some months back, a story was done about a family who fell on hard times and were having trouble finding a place to rent. The husband was disabled due to a job injury. The wife had a full-time job that didn't pay much. It's people like this family who should be helped first and foremost.
https://247wallst.com/state/how-main...20since%202010.

"A reported 4,411 people were experiencing homelessness in Maine in January 2022, and an estimated 3.7% of them were unsheltered, the second smallest share among the 50 states. The number of people experiencing homelessness in Maine increased by 110.3% since 2020 and is up by 85.4% since 2010.Feb 9, 2023"

Old 01-16-2024, 06:59 AM

15,435 posts, read 25,818,588 times
Will these apartments become like the projects that many cities had in the past? That’s if they’re being put up at the same place. If it’s spread out then forget I asked.

Old 01-17-2024, 06:54 PM

908 posts, read 1,662,077 times
worst idea ever ! how about we just don't allow millions of illegals to freely enter in the first place, we should ENFORCE THE LAWS AS INTENDED. And deport most of them asap. HOMELESS AMERICANS NEED THOSE 60 RENT FREE HOUSING UNITS !
No, we do not need to hand them a 50,000 dollar credit card either ! they will indeed spend it and then leave. or just take it back home and leave.
They need told that they can get a free ride back home to their warm 3rd world countries, there is a program for that ! as most of them had NO idea how cold it gets here in winter. Well it's a hard lesson this winter for some of them i am sure, unless they are taking up those motel rooms originally meant for our own homeless Americans. And many of them are taking up those rooms, by the MALFEASANCE of evil government officials that we need to identify and boot out of office. Two for starters: Biden and Mayorkas !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
This sounds all well and good for the first 60 but what about the next 60 that are halfway to the Border right now?

60 rooms is a drop in the bucket for how many hundreds of thousands? How is this sustainable?

The "migrants" are costing us all Millions of dollars that we do not have. In my state, what they actually admit to is an estimate of $50,000,000 per month. It is no doubt more than that since tens of thousands more have come in.

Here is an idea. If these people are really coming to do the jobs that Americans won't do AND to pay taxes............ yeah right, than lets tax them as they come in. We give each "migrant" a credit card of $50,000 and they have 2 years to spend it and pay it back. If they do not pay it back then they get deported.

Old 01-31-2024, 05:24 AM

8,046 posts, read 10,638,176 times
It seem like they have a particularly strong interest in attracting "asylum seekers" to Maine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration