Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: If you thought of illegal Mexicans as Native-American Indians does it change your opinion of their r
Yes 1 1.89%
No 50 94.34%
Somewhat 2 3.77%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2008, 04:41 PM

9,963 posts, read 18,501,624 times

Advertisements

If you thought that most of the illegals from Mexico were Native Americans, would that change your opinion of their rights to be here?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2008, 04:51 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,748,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
If you thought that most of the illegals from Mexico were Native Americans, would that change your opinion of their rights to be here?
illegal is illegal. No way.

BTW, i have Native American blood from the Cherokee Tribe.

Old 05-29-2008, 04:52 PM

2,065 posts, read 3,594,329 times
Not in the least. They are citizens of the country of Mexico, regardless of their ethnic roots. They have NO RIGHT to come here, same for the illegal Irish!

Old 05-29-2008, 04:57 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,558,314 times
Certainly. If I believed that illegals from Mexico were indigenous to the United States, then I'd think they had an inherent right to live here.

If I thought they were indigenous to another country, however, (such as Mexico), then I'd think their inherent rights lay with THAT country. I'd think that the modern-day Mexican Government should make every effort to aid these people, whose land it had 'taken' without their consent.

At one time, a number of indigenous people found themselves living, successively, under the rule of Spain, then of Mexico, and finally, of the US. The US, when it gained part of the former lands of Mexico, also 'gained' the people who lived therein. Today, the descendants of those people, including Indians, Mestizos, whites, etc., are American citizens. The people who remained in Mexico itself, continued on as Mexican citizens.

Indigenous Americans ("Indians") are a race. Citizenship is a matter of legality, not ethnicity.

Old 05-29-2008, 05:00 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,435,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
Certainly. If I believed that illegals from Mexico were indigenous to the United States, then I'd think they had an inherent right to live here.

If I thought they were indigenous to another country, however, (such as Mexico), then I'd think their inherent rights lay with THAT country. I'd think that the modern-day Mexican Government should make every effort to aid these people, whose land it had 'taken' without their consent.

At one time, a number of indigenous people found themselves living, successively, under the rule of Spain, then of Mexico, and finally, of the US. The US, when it gained part of the former lands of Mexico, also 'gained' the people who lived therein. Today, the descendants of those people, including Indians, Mestizos, whites, etc., are American citizens. The people who remained in Mexico itself, continued on as Mexican citizens.

Indigenous Americans ("Indians") are a race. Citizenship is a matter of legality, not ethnicity.
Say it ain't SO!!!

And I wonder, conversely, are those who live in Mexico and can trace their roots back to Spain, obligated to pack up and "go back to where they came from"?

Old 05-29-2008, 05:02 PM

8,185 posts, read 12,640,468 times
No, an illegal immigrant from Mexico that had native american roots is no more a citizen of the US then I would be if I showed up at the border of Scotland or Ireland or Czech republic or any other of the many ethnicities I could claim....

Old 05-29-2008, 05:29 PM

31 posts, read 122,880 times
Back then there was no established authority/government. You can't compare those days to today. Times have changed and so has the world. Illegal immigration is against the law of ALL countries.

Old 05-29-2008, 05:33 PM

13 posts, read 28,636 times
If you have enough money you can do anything

Old 05-29-2008, 05:44 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,855,247 times
The only way it would change is if the "Native Americans" were here legally or is native citizen at the USA... you can be a native american in Africa and it still be illegal for you to come here illegally... you can even be an american who gave up his/her citizenship and moved to the UK and now changed your mind and decide to come back illegally and STILL be an illegal citizen... you cannot change where you were born but you can choose to come here legally or illegally... I am not going to reward criminal behavior..

Old 05-29-2008, 05:47 PM

3,674 posts, read 10,606,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FJORDHEIMER View Post
If you have enough money you can do anything
Paris Hilton used to believe that way too. Now she knows it only rents tolerance, not immunity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration