Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2007, 02:48 PM

419 posts, read 2,021,575 times

Advertisements

If years ago America would have set up a strict border fence and a system that would not allow illegal immigrants to work in the USA, we would have the same problems we have now. Why? As our economy grew, we still need the same type of low skilled poorly educated workers. As society changed and more and more native American born workers move into skilled work and further their education and worker shortages result, our business community would push for more legal immigration. Because so many of the jobs that need to be filled require people to do menial work, we would be bringing in the same type of people that are coming here illegally today.

Either it be 20 million mostly poorly educated low skilled "grunt job" illegals-- or 20 million mostly poorly educated legal immigrants to fill these jobs, the nature of the people coming in would be the same. (Poor folks who speak a different language than English who are poorly educated and likely to suffer from the same social ills all disadvantaged people face.) Their effects on our society and culture would be the same as our current illegal population, wouldn't they?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2007, 02:59 PM

11,887 posts, read 36,976,202 times
No. Because low-skill doesn't equate to unintelligent, and the people coming here would be screened properly and thus there wouldn't be as much of the criminal element involved.

Also, those coming here would be looking at becoming long-term residents or citizens and not here for a quick money grab to send South of the Border; whether they came from Mexico or from another country, they would immigrate here legally with their families, most likely.

You must also take into account that although the unemployment numbers indicate very little unemployed in this country that simply isn't true. There are plenty of people unemployed that just don't apply for unemployment benefits anymore because those benefits ran out long ago. There is a large pool of available skilled laborers right here in this country that would do those jobs for a decent wage.

Old 12-27-2007, 03:17 PM

9,603 posts, read 31,760,610 times
I could not agree more, Synopsis.

Old 12-27-2007, 08:12 PM

4,454 posts, read 5,184,939 times
Agreed, imo legal immigration should definitely not be halted but definitely needs to be reformed and reduced. End of chain migration would be a good start.

Old 12-28-2007, 04:09 AM

58 posts, read 102,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synopsis View Post
No. Because low-skill doesn't equate to unintelligent, and the people coming here would be screened properly and thus there wouldn't be as much of the criminal element involved.
Oh, but non-US-birth equates to unintelligent, eh? And what criminal element is unintelligent? Sauce, plz.

Your domestic low-lifes get no break from x-ile. The foreign low-lifes ain't here. The scum here are yours. They do EVERYTHING I see so-called illegals accused of (up to and including debasing the English language) in the southern 3/4 of California.

Fact from NW CA. Let someone say otherwise. Local [presumed] natives don't work, don't pay their bills, ruin neighbourhoods, you name it. They sure as f* don't pay taxes. It's easy for me to work without paying taxes here, so I know that many people that don't work for the gov or national businesses don't report their income. Why would we?

How do I get rid of the native drop-outs, ex-cons, and welfare queens that are ruining THIS neighborhood with the benefit of US citizenship?

Old 12-28-2007, 04:17 AM

Whether low-skill equals unintelligent or not, abject failure in a land of plenty indicates, well, abject failure.

What's the excuse among these folks for their failure to COMPLETE FREE HIGH SCHOOL? Or stay out of prison/jail/rehab? Or not have months at a stretch of unemployment on their resume's?

They've been blaming the feds and the timber wars for a generation. Time to own their own failures.

As for me, I'm just enjoying semi-retirement in a gakked-out rental house (450 USD 1B, b*). Why should I have to be surrounded by this scum just to save a buck?

Oh, cuz they were born in the same country as me...

Old 12-28-2007, 04:18 AM

419 posts, read 2,021,575 times
Default You guys are missing the point

I never said the people who are doing low skilled menial work are stupid. I just said that the people from overseas who would be recruited to do the work would be similar in background and education to the illegal immigrants who are here now.

Regardless of their legal status, low skilled poorly educated people from Latin America have a similar mindset. I suspect they would bring the same social problems into our country any person from that background would offer.

Illegal aliens or poor uneducated low skilled legal immigrants from Latin America are basically the same people.

Old 12-28-2007, 04:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by questioner2 View Post
I never said the people who are doing low skilled menial work are stupid. I just said that the people from overseas who would be recruited to do the work would be similar in background and education to the illegal immigrants who are here now.

Regardless of their legal status, low skilled poorly educated people from Latin America have a similar mindset. I suspect they would bring the same social problems into our country any person from that background would offer.

Illegal aliens or poor uneducated low skilled legal immigrants from Latin America are basically the same people.
Low-skilled uneducated native Californians are the same. And, since I'm not tip-toe'ing around the "noble" working class, I'll tell you they're all soaking up tax dollars, defaulting on their bills, and committing most of the crimes. That's what unskilled or low-skilled poor people do.

Among the likes of them (citizen or not), their chief contribution is their children, who hopefully will do better. Most likely they'll do better somewhere else. Migration's a b*.

Old 12-28-2007, 07:55 AM

36,794 posts, read 31,037,062 times
Does anyone remember when high school and college students did low wage menial jobs. I personally, mowed yards, babysat, waited tables, cleaned houses, etc. to buy a car, pay insurance, pay for college etc. Many older, retired folks worked food service for extra income.
Do these people no longer exist?

Old 12-28-2007, 09:26 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,823,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by questioner2 View Post
Either it be 20 million mostly poorly educated low skilled "grunt job" illegals-- or 20 million mostly poorly educated legal immigrants to fill these jobs, the nature of the people coming in would be the same. (Poor folks who speak a different language than English who are poorly educated and likely to suffer from the same social ills all disadvantaged people face.) Their effects on our society and culture would be the same as our current illegal population, wouldn't they?
No.

First of all many of the over 20 million illegals are not here to work at all. A large number are living off government handouts, and many are elderly or too young to work.

And many who work only work in services for illegals -- many taco stands, paleta cart pushers, bar workers and so on work only in Spanish speaking businesses that deal only with illegals as customers.

Legal immigration needs some reforms -- I think most people realize that and anyone bringing in legal immigrants should be required to provide for their immigrant. That would mean family sponsors must pay for all their needs, show proof that they have purchased health insurance for their immigrant.

Employer sponsors should have to also provide health insurance and legal wages. That will cut out a lot of the illegal nannies and yard boys whose employers want the cheap labor but want taxpayers to provide for them.

There are many employers of illegals who do not provide full time jobs, legal wages or insurance benefits for their illegals -- in fact -- that's why they choose not to sponsor a legal immigrant that would cost them more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration