Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2014, 03:13 PM

5,299 posts, read 4,855,486 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
You really do need to learn a little more about the events leading up to Texas Independence...
No, you calling Oñate a "Mexican anchor baby" was enough "malamute" reasoning for me. Sadly it places at the same level as the other ridiculous claims you have made. I never did hear your source for you to say that I wasn't honoring my sponsorship agreements on my family, why is that?:

Quote:
Why don't you pay for them to go to college? You are the reason they are here, why should taxpayers have to oay for everyone in the world you want to bring here? If not for you they could get college in their own country which is far more affordable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2014, 04:12 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,801,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post
No, you calling Oñate a "Mexican anchor baby" was enough "malamute" reasoning for me. Sadly it places at the same level as the other ridiculous claims you have made. I never did hear your source for you to say that I wasn't honoring my sponsorship agreements on my family, why is that?:
What??? Show me where I said that. I don't know if your immigrants have Medicaid of if they have health insurance plans that you pay for. I don't know you -- so I don't know who pays for the births or any other health care.

In fact that's the whole problem in my opinion with family sponsorship. The sponsor is not legally obligated to pay the medical care or other costs of his or her immigrants. I'm fine with sponsorship, but I do believe the requirements need to be expanded. I know for a fact that there are people on welfare handouts (not you) who have brought in immigrants --- that the taxpayers pay for.

Old 04-19-2014, 04:17 PM

Quote:
But yes, Oñate was born in what's now Mexico which made him as Mexican as anyone else born there at the same time. Yes, I realize Mexico really didn't exist as an independent country yet.

That's what's so funny about some of the claims the open borders side makes -- Mexico only ruled over the northern territories for a very short time and Mexico never existed as a nation before the Europeans came.

Old 04-19-2014, 05:08 PM

63,089 posts, read 29,276,624 times
Quote:
What??? Show me where I said that. I don't know if your immigrants have Medicaid of if they have health insurance plans that you pay for. I don't know you -- so I don't know who pays for the births or any other health care.

In fact that's the whole problem in my opinion with family sponsorship. The sponsor is not legally obligated to pay the medical care or other costs of his or her immigrants. I'm fine with sponsorship, but I do believe the requirements need to be expanded. I know for a fact that there are people on welfare handouts (not you) who have brought in immigrants --- that the taxpayers pay for.
It's the same twisting of words that I have experienced. I desire diversity/equality in our immigration numbers but it gets twisted into that I want to exclude Hispanics.

Old 04-19-2014, 05:49 PM

8,061 posts, read 4,898,412 times
Quote:
You mean the Treaty of Guadalupe Hidalgo (the Gadsden Purchase was later, for the narrower strip of land so the United States could put in a railroad along the southern route). The money from Guadalupe Hidalgo was half the amount - for more territory (you missed it was also for Nevada, Utah, part of Wyoming, and most of Colorado too) - than was offered before the Mexican-American War. Anyone thinking it was about money isn't aware that the U.S. government offered to buy the land before the war, and when the offer was spurned, had to come up with a war to get it.

The treaty was even signed while the United States was still occupying Mexico City. An amendment was attempted to also gain most of the Mexican states of Tamaulipas and Nuevo León, all of Coahuila and a large part of Chihuahua as well, but the leadership of the Democratic Party rejected it. All established land grants were to remain being recognized, along with any Mexican citizen that remained on the land for a year could gain U.S. citizenship. The United States later refused to honor these terms of the "Protocol of Querétaro" because they said their representatives had overstepped their authority to sign for them.

An attempt to ban slavery on the acquired territory, under the guidelines of the Wilmot Proviso also failed, and was a large factor leading to the U.S. Civil War...

My topic in P&OC is still open, about the U.S. occupation in Mexico occurring just a 100 years ago, it sounds like there is a few members that need to brush up on their American history, feel free to browse it...
OK you got me! I did not want go into a history lesson to bore the readers. Bottom line is the Leadership of Mexico sold out their country for a few silver dollars.

Thusly really cannot hold to the claim that the US stole any thing. It was a business deal period!

Old 04-19-2014, 06:04 PM

Quote:
You can't see your quote I posted, or follow the link-back it has? These are basic forum functions (also learn to edit, so you can add to a response to me, and not double-post). Here it is again:

Then why did you say that in your response to me? The burden of proof is on you to source your claims, not me to complain to "Yac" when I feel the members are going overboard in getting personal. My insurance paid nearly everything for my Granddaughter's birth (the only addition to my family since they immigrated), and I did the remainder out-of-pocket.

You just said that you didn't know, then put out more unsourced blather to misdirect it away from your comments to me. Do you ever listen to yourself? Making a comedic error in calling the man that claimed the land north of where you live for the Spanish crown four-hundred and sixteen years ago a "Mexican anchor baby", that is classic!

The only thing worse would be continuing to claim you were right about the statement...

Oh wait, you did that too...
I suppose I could have written that if you said something about your immigrants getting government loans or financial aid to go to college. It wasn't about medical care apparently. I don't go whining to Yac -- I never have.

What you might want to do -- is use the "ignore" function and then you won't see posts people make that you don't agree with.

Old 04-19-2014, 06:07 PM

Quote:
You can't see your quote I posted, or follow the link-back it has? These are basic forum functions (also learn to edit, so you can add to a response to me, and not double-post). Here it is again:

Then why did you say that in your response to me? The burden of proof is on you to source your claims, not me to complain to "Yac" when I feel the members are going overboard in getting personal. My insurance paid nearly everything for my Granddaughter's birth (the only addition to my family since they immigrated), and I did the remainder out-of-pocket.

You just said that you didn't know, then put out more unsourced blather to misdirect it away from your comments to me. Do you ever listen to yourself? Making a comedic error in calling the man that claimed the land north of where you live for the Spanish crown four-hundred and sixteen years ago a "Mexican anchor baby", that is classic!

The only thing worse would be continuing to claim you were right about the statement...

Oh wait, you did that too...
He wasn't born in Spain -- so how he is any different than an anchor baby? I think the Aztecs would have thought of him as an anchor baby.

Old 04-19-2014, 06:45 PM

63,089 posts, read 29,276,624 times
Quote:
I remember one time when you said I "twisted" your words, when I included the quote of what you had specifically said. Maybe you were like "malamute", and didn't see it there ("What??? Show me where I said that."). You guys are a comedy.

Once again we are talking about times when legal immigration (including about my family) is brought up on the Illegal Immigration section. It's not the place to say that you want legal immigrants to be able to do a headstand for five minutes (hint: policy is not going to change to what you want) or that sponsorship that you "don't know" can be tightened up. Can we return to our regular ethnicity-based programming now?
We're a comedy? My how civil of you. Please feel free to DM me anything that I have said where it wasn't a valid claim that my words were twisted. How about we stop discussing these past grievances and discuss illegal immigration which is what this forum is about? Either that or take them up via DM's? I'm sure Yac would appreciate it.

You have often brought up legal immigration in here yourself. Ethnicity based? Might I suggest you get that chip off your shoulder and not be so offended over facts while it is also being stated over and over in here by the lot of us that we want all illegals out of our country?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration