Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Illegal immigration makes me feel
Angry 54 60.67%
Frustrated 36 40.45%
Dissapointed 25 28.09%
Scared 16 17.98%
Hateful 7 7.87%
Racist 9 10.11%
Selfish 2 2.25%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 89. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2008, 01:01 AM

1 posts, read 798 times

Advertisements

I know it's been almost a month since the last reply, which means I may be the last to say something, but I just found this site through Yahoo! search, and this is a very valid poll. I guess the assumption is that no one will feel happy, hopeful, neutral, and that kind of thing about immigration. That's a good general assumption, when you base it on observation and media reports. My additional categories would be 1. helpless 2. unsympathetic 3. full of pity 4. indignant 5.incredulous (that a country like the US isn't doing, for some reason, what its governmental history shows that it is able to do: enforce quickly and sweep illegals out thoroughly in an organized manner).

I agree that there is no visible reason why we should allow 'Latin American' culture, habits, influences and poverty mentality to increase the weight under which the culture personal to our own country is sinking. I am not just stating off the cuff, but am myself putting forth an observation based on general documented histories, that no two various cultures ever existed side by side, locked within the same country, each doing its own thing, and witnessed anything but the eventual decline of that country based on the clash of cultures.

Culture in this case defines itself as nationalism, and nationalism is the toughest glue in the world, binding one to one's country and culture no matter where one lives outside that native country. It travels with us in our suitcases and in our hearts and minds. We fight for it, wherever we are, we downgrade and degrade our host country, when necessary, for love of our own. The exception to this is rare. Even those who hate and run from their government love and defend their country and culture.

So I can't condone multiculturalism on any level, because 1. it is too vaguely defined, 2. it is as separate in its attempt to be unified as multitasking is: just a mix of many things all happening to be in action at the same time, more a novel approach to conducting our lives than a necessary one.

All else equal, illegal immigration is not contributing to cultural nor any other kind of understanding. We have laws, we all know the difference between obedience to them and disobedience, and, quite naturally and commendably, we get angry and indignant when our laws are broken. Lawbreakers should not exist on the same side of the wall as law-abiders. Accessories and accomplices included. Some illegals may lament that if they are sent back, Mexico would become their prison. That's as it should be for lawbreakers. I don't like it, but I don't like illegal immigration. So many have to spend years breaking their backs to come here legally that nothing, including close proximity of another country to ours, should be allowed take away from the attention they have earned to be in the spotlight of that final success.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2008, 12:51 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,563,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just what I always said View Post
I know it's been almost a month since the last reply, which means I may be the last to say something, but I just found this site through Yahoo! search, and this is a very valid poll. I guess the assumption is that no one will feel happy, hopeful, neutral, and that kind of thing about immigration. That's a good general assumption, when you base it on observation and media reports. My additional categories would be 1. helpless 2. unsympathetic 3. full of pity 4. indignant 5.incredulous (that a country like the US isn't doing, for some reason, what its governmental history shows that it is able to do: enforce quickly and sweep illegals out thoroughly in an organized manner).

I agree that there is no visible reason why we should allow 'Latin American' culture, habits, influences and poverty mentality to increase the weight under which the culture personal to our own country is sinking. I am not just stating off the cuff, but am myself putting forth an observation based on general documented histories, that no two various cultures ever existed side by side, locked within the same country, each doing its own thing, and witnessed anything but the eventual decline of that country based on the clash of cultures.

Culture in this case defines itself as nationalism, and nationalism is the toughest glue in the world, binding one to one's country and culture no matter where one lives outside that native country. It travels with us in our suitcases and in our hearts and minds. We fight for it, wherever we are, we downgrade and degrade our host country, when necessary, for love of our own. The exception to this is rare. Even those who hate and run from their government love and defend their country and culture.

So I can't condone multiculturalism on any level, because 1. it is too vaguely defined, 2. it is as separate in its attempt to be unified as multitasking is: just a mix of many things all happening to be in action at the same time, more a novel approach to conducting our lives than a necessary one.

All else equal, illegal immigration is not contributing to cultural nor any other kind of understanding. We have laws, we all know the difference between obedience to them and disobedience, and, quite naturally and commendably, we get angry and indignant when our laws are broken. Lawbreakers should not exist on the same side of the wall as law-abiders. Accessories and accomplices included. Some illegals may lament that if they are sent back, Mexico would become their prison. That's as it should be for lawbreakers. I don't like it, but I don't like illegal immigration. So many have to spend years breaking their backs to come here legally that nothing, including close proximity of another country to ours, should be allowed take away from the attention they have earned to be in the spotlight of that final success.
Your "multicultural" points are right on. It's a dream---an entirely impractical dream. It has never worked anywhere on earth, and the world is full of the wreckage of societies that attempted to 'get along' by allowing multiple cultures equal 'billing'. The nature of cultures is that one will dominate the other--or vice-versa. If multiculturalism WORKED--or was a GOOD THING---it wouldn't have to be "pushed" on us. We'd have adopted it on our own.

Muticulturalism, in its modern sense, is only a few decades old, and has been unable so far to 'get off the ground'...and for good reason. Its role is strictly that of an interesting, theoretical 'laboratory experiment'---fun to talk about, fun to speculate about, but totally unworkable out in the real world.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration