Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2013, 01:08 PM

7,800 posts, read 10,108,790 times

Advertisements

He wants to reward foreign lawbreakers while at the same time keeping 3.7 million American citizens subject to colonialism and second class citizenship against the very principles this nation was founded upon.

Immigration Reform and Puerto Rico Self-Determination: What it Means to be a U.S. Citizen | Puerto Rico Report
Very interesting article about Puerto Rican statehood and how the Democratic Party's obsession with amnesty for illegal immigrants is immoral and insulting to our own citizens who are denied their fundamental rights based on where they happen to live.

Quote:
As our fellow Americans in Puerto Rico enter the twelfth decade of a quest for self-determination, a new potential setback has emerged, the irony of which would be almost as cruel as Puerto Rican soldiers fighting overseas for democratic rights that they are denied back home as residents of a U.S. possession.

It could be regarded as profoundly unfair and demoralizing if 11 million people who entered the U.S. unlawfully are given a path to full enfranchisement and equal citizenship rights, while the 4 million U.S. citizens of Puerto Rico remain disenfranchised in a less than equal citizenship status. How would Puerto Ricans explain that to their children? How would any other American do the same?

How will anyone explain an outcome in which millions of non-citizens who enjoy many of the blessings of our way of life without first complying with our laws are given preferential treatment over law-abiding fellow Americans in Puerto Rico in seeking equality? Who will explain how non-citizens unlawfully present in America will be fully embraced and integrated into American society before the tried, tested and true patriotic American families of Puerto Rico who have lived under the American flag lawfully for 114 years?
In a non-binding referendum on November 6th 2012 the people of Puerto Rico - for the first time ever - rejected the current status as an unincorporated territory aka "the commonwealth" by a margin of 54% to 46%. Furthermore 61% voted to become the nation's 51st state in a separate question on non-colonial status alternatives.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2013, 02:15 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,285,459 times
I don't see how this pertains to the issue of illegal immigration.

Old 02-12-2013, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
I don't see how this pertains to the issue of illegal immigration.
I am making a point that he cares more about foreigners than our own! He does not care about you or I ... this is all about him getting more easy votes.

Old 02-13-2013, 05:22 AM

9,127 posts, read 7,943,324 times
The non-binding vote happened in Nov 2012. So since he didn't make puerto rico a state 2 1/2 months later, he doesn't care about PR.

Old 02-13-2013, 08:10 AM

I don't think Obama has the authority to declare that Puerto Rico is a state based off the results of a NON-BINDING referendum.

Personally, I am in favor of letting Puerto Rico decide its own destiny. If it's statehood, fine. Independence, also fine. I don't really care.

Also, 61% did NOT vote for statehood. 61% of people who answered question #2 voted for statehood. Of the total submitted ballots, 44% voted for statehood on question #2.

I'm pretty damn sure that it would take CONGRESSIONAL action for PR to become a state. Point fingers at Obama all you want, but I'm sure this (like many other things) is the purview of Congress, and their failure to act on it is not the president's fault. Point the finger at the right people, please.

Old 02-13-2013, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
I don't think Obama has the authority to declare that Puerto Rico is a state based off the results of a NON-BINDING referendum.

Personally, I am in favor of letting Puerto Rico decide its own destiny. If it's statehood, fine. Independence, also fine. I don't really care.

Also, 61% did NOT vote for statehood. 61% of people who answered question #2 voted for statehood. Of the total submitted ballots, 44% voted for statehood on question #2.

I'm pretty damn sure that it would take CONGRESSIONAL action for PR to become a state. Point fingers at Obama all you want, but I'm sure this (like many other things) is the purview of Congress, and their failure to act on it is not the president's fault. Point the finger at the right people, please.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/State_of_the_Union_address
Quote:
The address not only reports on the condition of the nation but also allows presidents to outline their legislative agenda (for which they need the cooperation of Congress) and their national priorities
Obama could have pushed Congress to take action last night, but he dident - probably because Puerto Rico has too many Republicans to be considered reliably Democratic

Blank ballots don't count. We don't know what the intention was of a blank ballot. It can be argued that the blank ballots were cast by supporters of the status quo ... the problem is that the 2nd question was about choosing a non-colonial status option (ie: anything but the status quo).

You support self determination than write your senators and congressman asking them to push for a Federally sanctioned binding referendum with statehood vs independence as the only options.

Old 02-13-2013, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/State_of_the_Union_address

Obama could have pushed Congress to take action last night, but he dident - probably because Puerto Rico has too many Republicans to be considered reliably Democratic

Blank ballots don't count. We don't know what the intention was of a blank ballot. It can be argued that the blank ballots were cast by supporters of the status quo ... the problem is that the 2nd question was about choosing a non-colonial status option (ie: anything but the status quo).

You support self determination than write your senators and congressman asking them to push for a Federally sanctioned binding referendum with statehood vs independence as the only options.
I'm not in favor of it or opposed to it. Like I said, I don't really care. Whatever Puerto Rico wants for itself is fine by me.

Perhaps if Puerto Ricans were showing up in protests in massive numbers or were protesting in the streets of San Juan, they might get more attention. But they don't, and that is because one party or the other is taking their support for granted. Maybe if the rest of PR showed up on US shores tomorrow, people might pay attention.

As for Obama's agenda, I don't really care. I voted, but only because I didn't want Mitt Romney to be president. Neither party has our best interests in mind and they are both orchestrating the destruction of the American middle class.

Old 02-13-2013, 11:20 AM

15,063 posts, read 6,175,095 times
I'm indifferent to the the Puerto Rican statehood issue. Illegal immigration is far more pressing, imo. Additionally, considering that the majority of Puerto Rican voters didn't even vote on the issue of statehood, I'm far less inclined to give that weight...

Old 02-13-2013, 11:40 AM

11,760 posts, read 14,654,294 times
Quote:
He wants to reward foreign lawbreakers while at the same time keeping 3.7 million American citizens subject to colonialism and second class citizenship against the very principles this nation was founded upon.
I'm sure you can find and post President Obama's most recent statement on the status of Puerto Rico, right?

Old 02-13-2013, 12:10 PM

9,240 posts, read 8,668,081 times
Quote:
I am making a point that he cares more about foreigners than our own! He does not care about you or I ... this is all about him getting more easy votes.
Its up to Puerto Rico & Congress if they want to become a state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration