Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-25-2010, 06:05 PM

3,598 posts, read 3,106,051 times

Advertisements

There is a lot of misinformation about how Mexican crime is spilling over the border into the US. El Paso and Ciudad Juarez are directly across from each other, and one might expect that crimes would mirror each other.

El Paso remains unscathed by violence across the border | News for Dallas, Texas | Dallas Morning News | Texas Regional News

"Ciudad Juárez, a city of 1 million caught up in deadly drug wars, has reported more than 1,300 murders so far this year. In 2009, there were about 2,700."

"The danger has yet to spill over into El Paso, which has had only one murder this year."

"Ciudad Juárez, a city of 1 million caught up in deadly drug wars, has reported more than 1,300 murders so far this year. In 2009, there were about 2,700.

In El Paso, with more than 700,000 residents, the total was 13 in 2009."

Is El Paso unique? Have the reports of increasing crime by illegals been exaggerated?

Laredo Texas, Population 226,659, Murders in 2008 - 10
Brownsville Texas, Population 175,494, Murders in 2008 - 4
San Diego, CA, Population 1,279,329, Murders in 2008 - 55
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2010, 06:35 PM

1,890 posts, read 2,658,965 times
Considering we have a stronger nation and far less corrupt police officers and elected officials, it sounds about right.

However, you can't predict the future thus I would not want to move to a place where there will be literally violence in my backyard. I want to see grass and flowers in my backyard, not spent casings and corpses.

Old 06-25-2010, 07:21 PM

5,407 posts, read 7,806,345 times
I appreciate your attempt at sanity. Of course government statistics show the border to be relatively safe. However in 3,2,1 this OP will be bombarded with posters with wacky statistics from wacky websites with no sources to tell us how illegals are raping and pillaging throughout the countryside. It has reached a frenzied pitch and you just have to shake your head, step aside and let the mob pass by.

The top four big cities in America with the lowest rates of violent crime are all in border states: San Diego, Phoenix, El Paso and Austin, according to a new FBI report. And an in-house Customs and Border Protection report shows that Border Patrol agents face far less danger than street cops in most U.S. cities.

http://azstarnet.com/news/local/bord...ime+%26+Courts)

Old 06-26-2010, 12:12 AM

44,882 posts, read 33,341,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bily4 View Post
I appreciate your attempt at sanity. Of course government statistics show the border to be relatively safe. However in 3,2,1 this OP will be bombarded with posters with wacky statistics from wacky websites with no sources to tell us how illegals are raping and pillaging throughout the countryside. It has reached a frenzied pitch and you just have to shake your head, step aside and let the mob pass by.

The top four big cities in America with the lowest rates of violent crime are all in border states: San Diego, Phoenix, El Paso and Austin, according to a new FBI report. And an in-house Customs and Border Protection report shows that Border Patrol agents face far less danger than street cops in most U.S. cities.

http://azstarnet.com/news/local/bord...ime+%26+Courts)
You end with most cities but I saw nothing there about the southern Arizona cities. Why don't we talk about those areas? Is it like the Wisconsin city council woman I saw on TV tonight who didn't think that Arizona had any right to pass that law, S 1070 since they aren't even a border state. What a simple minded thing she is.

Old 06-26-2010, 08:16 AM

5,407 posts, read 7,806,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
You end with most cities but I saw nothing there about the southern Arizona cities. Why don't we talk about those areas? Is it like the Wisconsin city council woman I saw on TV tonight who didn't think that Arizona had any right to pass that law, S 1070 since they aren't even a border state. What a simple minded thing she is.
LOL. Which southern Arizona city are you talking about? Phoenix not "southern" enough for you?

I live in Tucson hoss and things are pretty darn quiet here, sorry to break the news. I know this is not what Glenn Beck is feeding you.

But FBI and U.S. Department of Justice data show that Arizona’s violent crime rate is lower than the U.S. average and has been declining more rapidly than the U.S. average.
Despite a growing population, violent crime rates dropped sharply in Arizona between 2002 and 2008, the latest year for which complete federal crime data are available online.

Crime, immigration connection unclear, Justice Dept statistics suggest « New Mexico Independent
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration