Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2010, 05:46 PM

3,485 posts, read 7,341,579 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tulani View Post
Although true, overstays usually don't do the right thing once they realize they've made a mistake. It is then a conscious choice on their part to stay in the US illegally.
Of course there are laws on the books. However, we all know that nobody enforces said laws. No one keeps track of who is here and when they should leave. (Someone probably is supposed to do this, but it just ain't getting done!)
And you know this from anecdotal experience of a few people? From some study that they somehow did of people who overstayed?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2010, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
It's going to be very hard to get illegals to pay up all the back taxes they owe including all the Social Security tax, Medicare tax with fines -- which would be what an American citizen tax evader would have slapped on.

If they stole a social security number, that's a serious felony crime so they shouldn't be eligible for any amnesty, but those who worked for cash most likely have no proof of income and deciding how much back taxes and fines they owe would be impossible.

And why leave out the family they left back in Mexico - why should back child support be given only to children born in the USA?

I don't think you discourage law breaking by rewarding people for breaking the laws.
That's the whole point. If by some miracle they can do it, they might just be worthy of keeping. Of course they would have had to have some documentation of income, which is also hard to come by.

You don't really encourage or discourage law breaking either way - people are just gonna do what they are gonna do.

Old 06-16-2010, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheStupid View Post
Paying back taxes is a laughable matter. It's much better to set up a fine in equivalent of what a regular legal immigrant must pay to become a permanent resident.

I would propose a fine in the range of $50,000. They want to come back? They must go back home, pay the fine and then apply for visa from their home countries.
You are right, can't calculate backtaxes... A hefty fine is better.

Old 06-16-2010, 07:34 PM

14,306 posts, read 13,385,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miyu View Post
That's the whole point. If by some miracle they can do it, they might just be worthy of keeping. Of course they would have had to have some documentation of income, which is also hard to come by.

You don't really encourage or discourage law breaking either way - people are just gonna do what they are gonna do.
No, but the point is to discourage most of them. That is why we have prisons and the death penalty. It is a deterrant to commiting murder for "most".

We don't need to "keep" millions and millions of illegal aliens in this country who have flaunted our laws and borders just because they may pay a fine or back taxes. We have millions of Americans out of work that need these jobs and legalizing millions of impoverished will only increase our welfare roles. Even those that work are on the low tax brackets with many dependents so essentially they pay no income taxes. We don't need this uncontrolled population growth that has been the outcome of illegal immigration either.

When those still waiting to cross illegally get the message that there will be no more amnesties, no jobs and no benefits and we secure our borders it will cut illegal immigration back to a trickle.

Old 06-16-2010, 07:55 PM

1,909 posts, read 2,554,054 times
Quote:
And you know this from anecdotal experience of a few people? From some study that they somehow did of people who overstayed?
Not at all.
I know this from what I read... and I read A LOT!

Old 06-16-2010, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
No, but the point is to discourage most of them. That is why we have prisons and the death penalty. It is a deterrant to commiting murder for "most".

We don't need to "keep" millions and millions of illegal aliens in this country who have flaunted our laws and borders just because they may pay a fine or back taxes. We have millions of Americans out of work that need these jobs and legalizing millions of impoverished will only increase our welfare roles. Even those that work are on the low tax brackets with many dependents so essentially they pay no income taxes. We don't need this uncontrolled population growth that has been the outcome of illegal immigration either.

When those still waiting to cross illegally get the message that there will be no more amnesties, no jobs and no benefits and we secure our borders it will cut illegal immigration back to a trickle.
I dunno if you can get them to leave anyway. Even if you don't give them amnesty or benefits, living impoverished in this country is probably preferable to going back to a violent, more impoverished home country. The only thing that might work is to root them out and send them back kicking and screaming, then sealing the borders.

The reason I bring up this issue of amnesty for people who are worthy of this country is this. The US has a history of being retarded and kicking out important scientist foreigners. (Example: Qian Xuesan, 1940s, founder of JPL at Caltech, involved in JPL and rocket program). He applied to US citizenship in 1949 and was rejected. The US treated him like crap and putting him under house arrest for 5 years for allegedly being a commie. He was not a pinko, but when released he went straight back to china and became the father of chinese rocket science. Pretty idiotic if you ask me, considering how much military and technological information was probably compromised.

I'm also sick of taking care of impoverished "citizens" who take from the welfare system and extended unemployment benefits with my tax dollars, just as I am sick of illegals. I'd rather have smart people from other countries come here and prosper. In my eyes a "citizen" is one who contributes to society - not one who takes away.

Old 06-16-2010, 09:44 PM

3,875 posts, read 3,889,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the one View Post
this does bring up another question. does anyone differentiate between a person who overstayed a student visa and the person who was smuggled in?

the former has been previeoulsy vetted and allowed to be in the US, while the former has never been through the proper channels to be a part of society.

does it make a difference? is either one more desirable?
It shouldn't make a difference as both have an Illegal status.Even though those that come in on student and/or work visas are usually better educated and have a better chance to be financially independent,Both are in violation of immigration laws and both violated the law.If immigration enforcement is to work it should be applied equally to both violators.

Old 06-17-2010, 05:39 AM

20,300 posts, read 22,314,460 times
Quote:
I dunno if you can get them to leave anyway. Even if you don't give them amnesty or benefits, living impoverished in this country is probably preferable to going back to a violent, more impoverished home country. The only thing that might work is to root them out and send them back kicking and screaming, then sealing the borders.

The reason I bring up this issue of amnesty for people who are worthy of this country is this. The US has a history of being retarded and kicking out important scientist foreigners. (Example: Qian Xuesan, 1940s, founder of JPL at Caltech, involved in JPL and rocket program). He applied to US citizenship in 1949 and was rejected. The US treated him like crap and putting him under house arrest for 5 years for allegedly being a commie. He was not a pinko, but when released he went straight back to china and became the father of chinese rocket science. Pretty idiotic if you ask me, considering how much military and technological information was probably compromised.

I'm also sick of taking care of impoverished "citizens" who take from the welfare system and extended unemployment benefits with my tax dollars, just as I am sick of illegals. I'd rather have smart people from other countries come here and prosper. In my eyes a "citizen" is one who contributes to society - not one who takes away.
Although I agree with you in regards to the dead weight types, I disagree with the idea of an illegal being able to buy their way to amnesty. For example we have individuals involved with organized crime. The Russian Mafia for example. Of course they will have the ability to buy their amnesty. We can't always prove the association though. Better to deport along with a massive fine.
By the way illegals do cost legals there jobs. The construction industry for example.

Old 06-17-2010, 09:51 AM

851 posts, read 3,638,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
Although I agree with you in regards to the dead weight types, I disagree with the idea of an illegal being able to buy their way to amnesty. For example we have individuals involved with organized crime. The Russian Mafia for example. Of course they will have the ability to buy their amnesty. We can't always prove the association though. Better to deport along with a massive fine.
By the way illegals do cost legals there jobs. The construction industry for example.
Paying the fine only allows them to apply for legal immigration from their home countries.

We must NOT allow them to apply for legal immigration from USA.

Old 06-17-2010, 10:30 AM

50,810 posts, read 47,691,651 times
Quote:
I can't think of one good reason for illegal immigrants to receive amnesty except under the circumstance that they are able to pay all their taxes, backtaxes, and support all the family they have in the US. Obviously somebody who can do this is able to contribute to society, and are likely well-educated, thus elevating the talent pool in this country.

But then again most talented people like this probably came through legal channels of immigration.

Unfortunately some people who want amnesty banned are the probably pretty low on the totem pole of intelligence and financial stability as well - and blaming loss of jobs on illegals makes them feel better. Kick them out too. Why stop at illegals... just lose the dead weight.

You said it, if they are capable of contributing they have already gone through legal channels. Any other amnesty will just increase the amount on the social service dole.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration