Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2006, 09:37 PM

1 posts, read 7,628 times

Advertisements

I think it is about time we do something about this area where plenty of people swim and also many have lost lives.. I am tired of no actions being taken towards making this and illegal place to swim. The "swim at your own risk" signs are simply not enough... this is the second dear friend I have lost to that exact spot on the spokane river in Post Falls....

Body: POST FALLS -- Will Wilcox was a "walking encyclopedia" on sports. The 32-year-old man who, according to friends played in Spokane's Hoopfest this year and had aspirations of going to college to be an accountant, drowned on Friday in the Spokane River on the east end of Corbin Park in Post Falls. Police and witnesses said that Wilcox, at the park with a group of residents from the Union Gospel Mission in Spokane, was wading across the river when it appeared that he was sucked under by the current. "It appears that he slipped and fell and witnesses saw his arms flailing when he went under, " Sheriff Rocky Watson said. Bystanders said several people tried to save Wilcox in the ensuing moments after hearing him yell for help. Wilcox's body was recovered at 1:47 p.m. by multi-agency rescue divers. He was under 13 feet of water.
Attempts to resuscitate Wilcox, originally from Coeur d'Alene but at the UGM for the past six months, were unsuccessful. Wilcox was with about 25 others from the Union Gospel Mission during a day outing that included a picnic, softball and swimming.Friends said that Wilcox has family in Coeur d'Alene. "He was our brother from Coeur d'Alene, " said Spokane's Chris Coder. "He said that this was his neck of the woods." Coder said Wilcox was tight with family and others at UGM."He was close to all of us, " Coder said. "He loved sports, and he loved God." UGM resident Walter Cookson said Wilcox had a big heart."He was really into baseball and basketball, " Cookson said. "He was a walking encyclopedia, really knew what was going on. He was changing his life (at UGM) and doing it for the better."
Cookson said Wilcox worked in the back dock area of the UGM where donations were accepted."People loved him because he'd say, 'Good day. How are you? God Bless, '" Cookson said. "He was always friendly. If I needed to talk to someone, he was there. We'll miss him dearly." After the incident, a group prayer for Wilcox was held at the picnic area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2006, 02:28 PM

1 posts, read 7,623 times
Default Swim at your own risk

I believe that your friends died on there own behalf. I swim at Corbin Park every year, and I know a lot of people that swim there. No one I know has died there. As for your proposel to ban swimming there, I say NO. Everyone who swims there knows the risk they take. If you ban swimming there you would **** a lot of people off, so dont think about doing it.

Old 09-24-2006, 03:38 PM

5,324 posts, read 18,273,163 times
Let me start by saying I know nothing of the area, but I do know people. We all make choices and sometimes we pay for the choices we make. People will do what's enjoyable to them, knowing full well that risk is involved. People skydive, bungee jump, race cars (legally on and off track), the list of extreme sports goes on.... I don't think bnanning swimming is the answer.

Sorry to hear about the loss of your friends.

Last edited by cleosmom; 09-24-2006 at 03:38 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 05-03-2007, 10:51 AM

2 posts, read 15,152 times
Default Ban Swimming At Corbin Park

I agree that swimming should be banned there. I have heard of several people that have lost their lives there. I myself almost drowned there when I got caught in the current and could not swim through it. I am an experienced swimmer, but that current could take anyone by surprise. The only thing that saved my life as I went under, with no energy left to hold on, was I remembered my mom saying that if you ever get so tired you cant make it, just float and let the current carry you till you have the energy. Thats what I did, and a mile down the river I finally drifted to the shore. It was the most terrifying experience. My friends were there, also experienced swimmers, but they too got caught in the current when they tried to help me, so they had to go back to shore. There are so many other, much safer swimming areas in the area; there is no reason that people should be losing their lives for an afternoon in the water!

Old 05-03-2007, 10:54 AM

2 posts, read 15,152 times
Default maybe you should not talk about things you dont know!!

This lady should not be encouraging people to swim in this area, especially when she does not know the dangerous currents and undertow. sure, people have control of their lives, but that does not justify putting yourself in danger, or others!
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleosmom View Post
Let me start by saying I know nothing of the area, but I do know people. We all make choices and sometimes we pay for the choices we make. People will do what's enjoyable to them, knowing full well that risk is involved. People skydive, bungee jump, race cars (legally on and off track), the list of extreme sports goes on.... I don't think bnanning swimming is the answer.

Old 05-07-2007, 06:48 PM

6 posts, read 37,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kikibelle View Post
This lady should not be encouraging people to swim in this area, especially when she does not know the dangerous currents and undertow. sure, people have control of their lives, but that does not justify putting yourself in danger, or others!
The lady you quoted said this:

Quote:

Where did you get that she was encouraging anyone to do anything? She was stating a fact about human nature.

If you want to argue a point, good, but don't put words in people's mouths.

One of the problems with people today is that nobody wants to take responsibility for their own actions. If you do something you know to be dangerous and you do it anyway and get hurt or killed, it is entirely, one hundred percent YOUR fault. It isn't the fault of somebody who posted on a message board; it isn't the fault of law makers; it isn't because your mom didn't give you enough cookies as a kid. It's because you decided, using your own free will to do so, to perform a certain action and that action ended with an unfortunate result. That was a chance you took when you made the decision to do what you did.

I, too, am sorry to hear of the OPs friends.

Old 05-08-2007, 09:26 AM

5,324 posts, read 18,273,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buffalo head View Post
The lady you quoted said this:

Where did you get that she was encouraging anyone to do anything? She was stating a fact about human nature.

If you want to argue a point, good, but don't put words in people's mouths.

One of the problems with people today is that nobody wants to take responsibility for their own actions. If you do something you know to be dangerous and you do it anyway and get hurt or killed, it is entirely, one hundred percent YOUR fault. It isn't the fault of somebody who posted on a message board; it isn't the fault of law makers; it isn't because your mom didn't give you enough cookies as a kid. It's because you decided, using your own free will to do so, to perform a certain action and that action ended with an unfortunate result. That was a chance you took when you made the decision to do what you did.

I, too, am sorry to hear of the OPs friends.
Buffalo_head, thanks for covering for me. I haven't paid attention to this thread as it was done last Fall.

Correct, I'm not saying to run out and everyone MUST swim in that river I'm just stating the facts; people (dumb, smart, trained, untrained) sometimes enjoy taking risks. Flying in planes can at times be unsafe, should we do away with all planes and airports? How many people are killed on the highways and roads daily? Should we go back to walking and forbid automobiles? You take your first risk once you rise out of bed each day

Old 06-12-2009, 11:10 AM

1 posts, read 6,454 times
Ban Swimming At Corbin??? Preposterous Idea !!! I have swam at Corbin Park In Post Falls,Idaho for years and it's a BEAUTIFUL place for a summer swim away from it all. It's a TRADITION for many,many people and just because there are careless people, who take ridiculous risks, that's NO REASON to ban swimming at Corbin. That's like saying ban cars because people get killed in car wrecks. Taking Personal responsibility for ones actions is the only way to look at this issue. I have NEVER felt in danger at Corbin. But then again I'm not stupid enough to risk swimming in the Whirl Pool Area at Corbin ! ! That could be a potential DEATH sentence. So a little common since goes a long way @ Corbin Park,ID. HAVE A GREAT SUMMER , AND ENJOY SWIMMING AT CORBIN PARK,IDAHO. If you've never been there you should try it out. It's a classic old school swimming experience that you'll not forget. The scenery is incredible,& the water is COLD and REFRESHINGLY CLEAN.**SUMMER 2009, ONE TO REMEMBER**

Old 08-04-2010, 12:17 PM

1 posts, read 5,296 times
No one should be banned from swimming here. If you got caught in the current then I guess you should have been swimming in the boundaries.

Old 08-06-2010, 11:49 PM

1,043 posts, read 3,440,850 times
This is the kind of BS that ruined Calif and many other states... Nobody is allowed to do anything remotely dangerous or fun.. I say put up warnings of the danger, and let em do as they wish.. Freedom has its concequences yes, but I would rather have freedom than a bunch of dont do this dont do that laws, rules and signs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho