Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-02-2008, 04:43 PM

4 posts, read 24,668 times

Advertisements

Hello - I know that my Uncle was responsible for the deaths of one or two Blackfoot Indians - on the reservation back in the 60's .. I'm guessing mid to late 60's.

His sister, my mother--now deceased --had told me as a child that my Uncle Wayne had married many times, but never had any children. I don't recall why he was in ID - it may have been to work in a mine .. he was a miner.

I'm just very curious about the events, as recently he told a relative that HIS mother (My grandmother) killed the girls! He's never been one to take responsibility for his actions.

From conversations I overheard my grandmother (Wayne's mother) discussing back then, and letters I found that my mother had written, it was my Uncle's responsibility. I believe he was drinking and caused the accident. We lived back East and my Grandmother, Grace Halterman, had to fly out to ID to bail him out of jail .. and go to trial with him.

If you recall any information about this accident (I'm sorry I don't know the date .. it would have been late 50's (I was born in 1958) or early 60's -- I would appreciate knowing anything about the accident. I apologize for my Uncle - as I'm sure he never did ... for what happened, especially if precious lives were lost.

I can be reached at: MsJones08@comcast.net.

Thank you in advance.

M. Elaine Jones - 10-02-08
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2008, 02:22 PM

210 posts, read 946,975 times
Just to clarify, did the incident happen or was he in jail in Blackfoot, Idaho?

The reason I ask is there is often confusion between the Blackfoot Indian confederacy of tribes in Montana and Alberta. The Native Americans in SE Idaho on the Fort Hall reservation are mostly from the Shoshone and Bannock Tribes.

So, are we talking about Blackfoot the town or the tribes? If we nail down the town or the place it may be easier to help you find some information.

If he was a miner he may have been working at Simplot's Gay Mine on the Fort Hall Indian Reservation, near Blackfoot, Idaho which was operating in the 60's and would fit in with your story.

Here's some information on that mine from IDAHO MINING ASSOCIATION (http://www.idahomining.org/members_simplot.html - broken link)

[SIZE=2]"Simplot got its phosphate mining start in 1944 with a large phosphate deposit on the Fort Hall Indian Reservation north of Pocatello, Idaho and developed an open-pit mine. Naming the mine after his only daughter, Gay, the Gay mine would provide raw phosphate rock for the Simplot fertilizer operations in Pocatello for over 50 years."[/SIZE]

Old 10-17-2008, 02:33 PM

Default I recall Blackfoot Indians near Blackfoot, ID

I'm sorry I don't know the specifics of the accident, just that two Blackfoot Indian women were killed in a car driven by Wayne Clifford Halterman; and, as I understood it, the accident took place in Blackfoot, ID. I thought it was off the reservation, but I can be certain.

Thank you for any information you provide. Elaine Jones, Morrison, CO

Old 10-17-2008, 02:37 PM

Default Correction; - I CAN'T be certain.

Thanks.

Old 10-17-2008, 02:57 PM

210 posts, read 946,975 times
The edge of the Fort Hall reservation is just outside Blackfoot, idaho so I think you are the right track. Unless they were visiting from Montana, they were likely not of the Blackfoot tribes but who knows. Maybe someone can check newspaper archives or the library. I will if I'm ever up that way. You might try contacting the Morning News, which is the Blackfoot newspaper and see what records they have.

Old 11-01-2008, 11:06 AM

Dear Twinprism: Thank you for your reply. It's odd how secretive families can be.

I will follow your lead on the Morning News and see what I can come up with. I need to see if any distant relative can narrow down the exact year of the accident. That would help immensely.

Thank you so much. I hope you're enjoying this Indian Fall that we are, here in Colorado.

Elaine Jones
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho