Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2021, 03:32 PM

129 posts, read 332,087 times

Advertisements

Okay here's the deal I live in California I have a house here in California we bought a house in Idaho in November of last year

Me and my wife are both still working we're not going to be able to move to Idaho probably for one or two years

There are a lot of restrictions on firearms in California and what I want to do is change my driver's license from California to Idaho for 3 months I do own a house there then I want to buy all of my goodies keep all of my goodies in Idaho never never never bring them back to California ever ever

Then I want to change my driver's license back to California

I'm not sure of the ramifications or if I can do something like this or if I need to talk to some kind of an accountant or tax attorney

Last edited by countonme; 03-22-2021 at 03:33 PM.. Reason: Spelling
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2021, 04:02 PM

32,636 posts, read 47,995,345 times
That seems rediculously complicated.

You are going to maintain an empty house in Idaho for a couple of years, a house full of assorted guns and ammunition? Plus do the beaurocratic snarl at the DMV three separate times? Talk about a glutton for punishment.

Old 03-22-2021, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post

You are going to maintain an empty house in Idaho for a couple of years, a house full of assorted guns and ammunition? Plus do the beaurocratic snarl at the DMV three separate times? Talk about a glutton for punishment.
I have been a California resident born and raised I'm kind of used to it

This would be a walk in the park I just don't want to do anything that's illegal

Just the tip if you ever need to go to the DMV walk in 5 minutes before closing they're in a hurry the line goes super quick

Old 03-22-2021, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post

You would not believe the punishment in tyranny there is to purchase ammo in California

Old 03-22-2021, 06:47 PM

7,378 posts, read 12,662,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by countonme View Post
Okay here's the deal I live in California I have a house here in California we bought a house in Idaho in November of last year

Me and my wife are both still working we're not going to be able to move to Idaho probably for one or two years

There are a lot of restrictions on firearms in California and what I want to do is change my driver's license from California to Idaho for 3 months I do own a house there then I want to buy all of my goodies keep all of my goodies in Idaho never never never bring them back to California ever ever

Then I want to change my driver's license back to California

I'm not sure of the ramifications or if I can do something like this or if I need to talk to some kind of an accountant or tax attorney

We also own retirement property in Idaho, and we're also still working and living in CA. You have to prove to the ID DMV that your Idaho house is your primary residence--otherwise you won't be able to get an Idaho driver's license. That means showing bills for most of the year, issued to your ID house, or other documents showing that you have in effect made the move. Just giving the address is simply not sufficient. And lying about one's primary residence is in fact fraud.

I suggest just saving up for all the amazing "goodies" you're going to purchase once you move to Idaho, keep your CA driver's license for another two years, and look forward to the day you can move. That's not what you'd like to hear, I know. Just rejoice that you already have a place in Idaho, and you don't have to be in a bidding war this spring!

Old 03-22-2021, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Fork Fantast View Post
We also own retirement property in Idaho, and we're also still working and living in CA. You have to prove to the ID DMV that your Idaho house is your primary residence--otherwise you won't be able to get an Idaho driver's license. That means showing bills for most of the year, issued to your ID house, or other documents showing that you have in effect made the move. Just giving the address is simply not sufficient. And lying about one's primary residence is in fact fraud.

I suggest just saving up for all the amazing "goodies" you're going to purchase once you move to Idaho, keep your CA driver's license for another two years, and look forward to the day you can move. That's not what you'd like to hear, I know. Just rejoice that you already have a place in Idaho, and you don't have to be in a bidding war this spring!

we are already receiving water bill internet bill and other kind of bills to the house in Idaho

I just found out I might have another path to what I'm trying to do

Some Sheriffs allow CA domicile, ID residents to apply and get an enhanced ID CCW,

Old 03-22-2021, 11:12 PM

6,354 posts, read 7,762,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by countonme View Post
Some Sheriffs allow CA domicile, ID residents to apply and get an enhanced ID CCW,
I only know Kootenai County, and we now have a new Sheriff, (but he has stated that he supports Second Amendment rights). You can indeed obtain a regular or an enhanced CWL, (Concealed Weapons License), as a non-resident. And it will show your California address. It will NOT allow you to purchase firearms in Idaho.

It was a bit of a pain to get my first regular license, (was a CA resident - later on, after moving here, I got the enhanced license). As a non-resident, you have to submit your application, pay your fees, and get fingerprinted. Once approved, and only then, you have to return to get your picture taken that will appear on the license. Two trips! Yup. When you come back for your picture, they will give you a temporary paper license until your "real" permit is created. They will mail that one to you.

To get the enhanced license, you need to take a full-day course. About half the classroom session was taken up with the usual firearm stuff, such as, "This is a bullet. This is a round. They are different." etc. The other half of the classroom session is the legal stuff. It's almost enough to make you want to never carry. The legal ramifications are really scary. Some have decided to not get a license because of what they learned in the legal portion of the class. Then, you spend the rest of the day at the range. Different scenarios and distances. (I did not like letting my magazine fall onto the ground in the dirt. I cheated and dropped them into my hand, then shoved into my pocket. They didn't notice, or if they did, didn't say anything.) I think we sent about one hundred rounds downrange during the shooting portion of the class.

The enhanced is very well worth the effort obtaining. Good in a lot more states, including Washington. The regular license is not valid in WA, nor a whole lot of other states. Neither is good in Oregon, but being in a state that borders OR, we can obtain an OR license, (both CA and ID). And, nothing is valid in California. The enhanced is so good that I let all my other licenses expire, (UT, NV, FL, AZ). The enhanced, (if you have the resident enhanced), will allow you to purchase a toy without a background check. Almost "cash and carry". You still have to fill out the paperwork, but it goes into the office file cabinet, there to stay. Theoretically, it doesn't go anywhere outside the store.

I can't remember what was required for the regular ID license. I took a class at Oak Tree in Valencia, CA for my UT license and a class in Las Vegas for my NV license. Since I had copies, I think I just submitted them with my ID paperwork; but I can't remember if they were required. If you are breathing, AZ will give you a license. FL is almost as easy.

Please do not do what you are considering doing. I can't quote the state statute, but it sure doesn't sound on the "up and up". As CFF suggests, save your money for the time being. The pickings are pretty slim right now anyway, and ammunition is almost as good as currency. Hopefully, by the time you get here, the supply chain will start working again. People are just freaked out right now. First the virus, then the change in the administration, soon to follow by the media circus promoting tighter restrictions to ownership. These things go in cycles, and right now we are in a tight availability cycle.

You'll need that money. I know that my bank account has taken some hits and I now have everything I could possibly want, and more.

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Old 03-23-2021, 11:30 AM

5,324 posts, read 18,264,571 times
If you have two homes in two states, the only way to get an Idaho license is by living here for the majority of the year ;270 days of 365. (Per Idaho DMV)

As pointed out, firearms and long arms are scarce here! Then if you do find what you like/want you won't finda the ammofor for a year.

I'm an instructor and we're anticipating lower classes due to no ammo.

Old 03-23-2021, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by volosong View Post
I

Please do not do what you are considering doing. I can't quote the state statute, but it sure doesn't sound on the "up and up". As CFF suggests, save your money for the time being. The pickings are pretty slim right now anyway, and ammunition is almost as good as currency. Hopefully, by the time you get here, the supply chain will start working again. People are just freaked out right now. First the virus, then the change in the administration, soon to follow by the media circus promoting tighter restrictions to ownership. These things go in cycles, and right now we are in a tight availability cycle.

You'll need that money. I know that my bank account has taken some hits and I now have everything I could possibly want, and more.

wow thanks for all the info

living in California around 2010 I did receive my CCW for Utah Nevada Arizona Florida I let it expire

I was able to fulfill my dream and buy a house in Idaho

I know it did not sound on the up-and-up I guess if I have to ask the question that's my conscience

It looks like I am able to get my CCW enhanced Idaho license if that's possible I will do that since I do own a home there

The goodies I can purchase now are the overpriced ammo and magazines and keep them there without a problem

I just feel so frustrated somebody with no job can just move there get a Idaho driver's license and buy all the goodies they want

I feel trapped with this job I am older and it would be harder to get a job

Old 03-23-2021, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleosmom View Post
If you have two homes in two states, the only way to get an Idaho license is by living here for the majority of the year ;270 days of 365. (Per Idaho DMV)

As pointed out, firearms and long arms are scarce here! Then if you do find what you like/want you won't finda the ammofor for a year.

I'm an instructor and we're anticipating lower classes due to no ammo.
I'm signing up for a class today I think that will work fit my schedule I just will bring my own ammo

the future belongs to those that prepare yesterday
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
View detailed profiles of: