Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2006, 09:52 AM

12 posts, read 34,307 times

Advertisements

Has there been any effort to pass a proposition to limit property taxes like the famous prop 13 in Ca. many years ago? of course today in ca., if the voters passed such a reform, a liberal judge would find it unconstitutional.
Boise or bust in July 07
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2006, 10:07 AM

16 posts, read 49,414 times
Default prop 13

for you who do not know what this is ,, it really is a good thing for you to try and adopt ,,, the property taxes are fixed at what you paid for your house ,,, i think it can go up at 1% a year or something small like that,,,but it keeps you from being taxed out of your home if prices rise dramatically,,
so all the "rich " new commer calif people will be paying the high taxes , and the locals who bought their house way back when will still have low taxes.

Old 12-20-2006, 11:33 AM
HDL

3,216 posts, read 6,791,412 times
Talking Totally know about Prop 13 and think it's great

I too was for Prop 13 here and had hoped that Idaho would implement something like it to help people not get taxed out of their homes.

But then again, I have no complaints about property taxes on my home here in Boise, since they are lower than they'd be in CA for the same purchase price. I paid 'less than' 1% of the purchase price my first year here and since the legislature increased our homestead exemption from $50K to $75K this year, my taxes actually went down $300 this tax bill received in December 2006.

Now, it does help that I am in an unincorporated area of Boise, as Boise city is approx $1200 more per year.

Old 12-22-2006, 10:25 AM

1 posts, read 4,225 times
I believe that the House will consider a Prop 13 type of property tax reform in the upcoming session

Old 12-27-2006, 03:41 PM

1 posts, read 4,283 times
Default Idaho Homeowner Exemption

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbmitch View Post
Has there been any effort to pass a proposition to limit property taxes like the famous prop 13 in Ca. many years ago? of course today in ca., if the voters passed such a reform, a liberal judge would find it unconstitutional.
Boise or bust in July 07

Although Idaho does not yet have a CA Prop 13 approach to "holding down" taxes, Idaho did recently pass legislation that increases the Homeowners Property Tax Exemption from $50,000 to $75,000.

Old 12-30-2006, 08:36 PM

278 posts, read 1,139,193 times
Not to worry with all the calif people moving there you will most likely get it. Just another good idea from calif like so many including the high Tec industry of micron. yet so many idahos seam to hate any thing to do with calif. hmm may be we should keep a tax break like this to our selfs also LOL.

Old 02-07-2007, 09:44 PM

4 posts, read 18,354 times
You bring up a great question and one that I have asked every year since buying in Northern Idaho in 2001. I don't understand it. Here is a dyed in the wool Red state that taxes like a liberal porker. I sure hope it changes soon!

Old 05-31-2015, 04:26 PM

1 posts, read 2,023 times
May 31st, 2015
It's time to enact Proposition 13 in Idaho.

Voting records validate that Idaho's local & state governments are controlled by a powerful Cartel of Realtor, Developer & Construction Industry Lobbyists, this trumps citizen's access to representative government.... It's well known that the Capitol City of Boise has served as the testing grounds for abusive property tax hikes & voting & property rights abuse via highly contested forced annexations for decades. Many of you reading this have been victims of Idaho's detested Forced Annexation Laws or may now in the process of being taken against your will by a City you have no voice or vote in.
Forced Annexation is closely related to Eminent Domain takings, usually initiated by developers with political connections.

Idaho's Forced Annexation Law allows various Urban Renewal type organizations run by the Development Industry to evade paying appropriate IMPACT FEES & instead use taxpayer dollars to fund the costly infrastructures, roads, fire, police, sewer, schools, etc., etc. for their private business ventures.

Idaho's Forced Annexation Law also steals the individual property & voting rights of County residents that they purchased in good faith, creates major tax increases without getting anything in return, & implements Taxation Without Representation.

Monies from the Corporate Cartel of Realtor, Contractor, Developer Industry Lobbyists select & elect our local & state officials. Some within the Cartel hold office..

The Cartel's lawyers & their politicians in office has defeated all past Citizens For Annexation Reform sponsored legislation that would have replaced Forced Annexation with Voting Rights for the County property owners involved.

Freedom of Speech also Restricted:
The Idaho Statesman Editorial board is chaired by the developer industry & has refused numerous Readers View articles that I've tried to submit over past years that exposed conflict of interest corruption & evidence of blatant Oath Of Office Contract violations with both parties within our local & state governments.

**Many millions of taxpayer dollars continue being funneled into Construction Industry pockets yearly for unnecessary construction projects. This is where your stolen tax dollars are going..

Having the best government Special Interests can buy has trumped replaced representative government with political houses of prostitution.
FACT;
Just prior to Rino Gov. Otter's re-election he miss-used his Executive Privilege to restrict citizen's access to Legislative Public Records. Other than a coverup, there is no good explainable reason to explain this unconstitutional action. UNLIKE POLITICIANS ,, THEIR VOTING RECORDS NEVER LIE .
AMERICAS FOUNDERS PLACED THE OBLIGATION OF OATH CONTRACT ENFORCEMENT SOLEY IN HANDS OF CITIZENS..
It's time to replace apathy with strict oath contract enforcement . Time to man-up & demand access be immediately returned to the evidence that our public records provide, then arrest our political bandits & enact Prop.13 .
Chuck T.

Old 05-31-2015, 04:39 PM

3,782 posts, read 4,258,162 times
MI had something similar that prevented the rise in property taxes, except for a rise in the CPI, until sold. It do not believe it prevented the property taxes from going up if voted on by the masses for school mileages, bond issues etc.

Not a bad thing to have, but not due to the scare tactics in the previous thread. Just a logical thing to do; especially for those on fixed incomes!

Old 05-31-2015, 06:08 PM

2,395 posts, read 3,017,906 times
Some California tax history:

In 1980-81, 2 years after Prop 13 was passed, there was a total of $6.36B in property taxes collected in the state.

In 2006-07 they collected $43.16B in property taxes, so property tax collections were up 579% in that time.

In that same time the population grew by 58%, and inflation increased prices by 133%.

So while most anyone who has lived in CA for a long period of time will tell you that Prop 13 has been a very good thing, it hasn't stopped the growth of property tax collections, or even held them to something close to the rate of population growth or the rate of inflation.

All that said, property tax rates are much lower on our property in Idaho than they are here in CA.

Dave
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho