Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2017, 03:43 AM

3 posts, read 6,607 times

Advertisements

Thanks Sandpointian.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-29-2020, 11:59 PM

20 posts, read 24,828 times
Default Update for 2020

Well, things just get worse and worse over here in californistania. I have been slowly sliding from unhappy to miserable for a long time. I seriously had to rewire my brain just to cope.

Fortunately I have had some turns for the better health wise which has net positive effects on my finances. I mentioned in the title post I suffer chronic pain and migraines. Well, I have much improved that situation and now spend a lot less time convalescing and have been actually working for the last 2 years, having not worked since 2008 before. So now I subcontract semi full time and make about double my VA disability. This is good because it has allowed me to almost completely eradicate debt while building my inventory of tools and knowledge so I can land in a better situation when I get to the Sandpoint are in a couple years.

I have been looking on the map and at real estate listings off and on and I know i want to live somewhere along the Pend. Priest river/lake looks real good on the rural side and Sandpoint looks good for a town to bum around so I just have to figure out whats more attractive to me.

I have at least on friend on the ground. I have one guy from this post who I was in contact with, but I need to reconnect. He lives close to Priest Lake and came from here so we can relate. And a guy I have known for awhile just got 5 acres up the mountain 20 minutes from Sandpoint. He and I seem to get along well and I am coming up this summer to help him frame out his shop he want's to build. That will give me a place to base camp from and make things a lot easier.

For long term prosperity, I have considered opening up a storage facility since it seems like everyone is now trying to flee to Idaho. I bet that would turn a couple of bucks. And my dad would like to get into aquaponics(food not pot). I like tat idea alot and had looked into it years ago when I was still suffering debilitating pain an an ongoing basis, kind of bad for motivation and creativity. Anyway, that
s 2 ideas to boost cash flow for a nicer life than just living off disability without working to hard.

I still don't plan to be in Idaho full time till 2024 because my kids want to finish high school here. But my dad hates it even worse than me and is chomping at the bit. My brother might go with him. That would make it easier for me because I could have one foot firmly planted in the short term instead of just mini vacations a couple times a year.

So if anyone knows where I can get maybe 5 acres close to the pend river for a good price let me know. Utilities to property and not to mach a headache for a well would be nice. Internet would be a dream but honestly, I could live without it. I would like enough flat ground to work with but I don't care if it's covered in trees.

As always, thanks for any input.

Old 03-01-2020, 12:00 AM

Oh yea, are there any places to shoot long range around? I am taking about 2000 yards. Or do I have to go to Wyoming or Arizona for that?

Old 03-01-2020, 08:08 AM

7,386 posts, read 12,693,281 times
Glad to hear things are improving for you, SC Mike! And I think you picked a great area to focus on. In terms of property search, Realtor.com is your best source. That was how we found our place in Clark Fork, and the website hooked us up with a superb real estate agent.

The only 3 shooting ranges in the area that I know of, Farragut in Bayview, CdA gun club, and Sandpoint, all have max 200 yards. 2000 yards--who are you, Quigley?

Old 03-01-2020, 08:41 AM

6,359 posts, read 7,785,489 times
No long ranges in the area, that I know of. I shoot at Farragut in the summer when they are open and there is an short indoor range in Post Falls to keep up my proficiency in the winter. Farragut is only five bucks and Center Target Sports is more than double that. (ask for the senior discount to save a few bucks).

I really like Farragut. Pretty deserted on Fridays and the range people are very friendly. Then again, Farragut is on of those special places in North Idaho. If I'm not there shooting, you'll find me there trail riding on my bike. Center Target is okay. Don't go there as much as I should because of the cost and on one of my first visits, one of the range masters was admiring my stainless Mark II and belittled me because I cleaned it after every range session.

I'm pretty sure you can shoot on Forest Service land. Just be aware of your backdrop and police your targets when you're done.

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Old 03-01-2020, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by volosong View Post
No long ranges in the area, that I know of. I shoot at Farragut in the summer when they are open and there is an short indoor range in Post Falls to keep up my proficiency in the winter. Farragut is only five bucks and Center Target Sports is more than double that. (ask for the senior discount to save a few bucks).

I really like Farragut. Pretty deserted on Fridays and the range people are very friendly. Then again, Farragut is on of those special places in North Idaho. If I'm not there shooting, you'll find me there trail riding on my bike. Center Target is okay. Don't go there as much as I should because of the cost and on one of my first visits, one of the range masters was admiring my stainless Mark II and belittled me because I cleaned it after every range session.

I'm pretty sure you can shoot on Forest Service land. Just be aware of your backdrop and police your targets when you're done.

Awesome to hear of place to shoot and ride the same trip. Short ranges are enough to keep proficient. I can just stick to rimfire and iron sights. It's just that I have been itching to get into long range precision for a few years now but the environment here has been getting more and more hostile at a rate that is hard to keep up with. I was hoping to pick up a 300PRC and learn to shoot a mile to a mile and a half. My pistol skillz are rusty anyway, so that's another option for something to do with no long ranges near by.

I still have a MKI that I have not shot much since I got it. I got it to replace the one I should have never sold that I grew up with. Those things are so sweet. When you say trail riding, I assume human powered? I ride mtb and 4stroke. Just one more thing I can't have as much fun at around here anymore.

Maybe we can shoot or ride together sometime.

Old 03-01-2020, 11:02 PM

6,359 posts, read 7,785,489 times
MTB at Farragut. Mostly flat with a few hills. One I have to walk up. Short, but steep. For a dirt bikes, (i.e., motorcycles), there is a good trail system on Canfield Mountain. MTBs area allowed on Canfield too. Few conflicts between the two. Everybody is pretty respectful of each other. Hikers on the Canfield trails too.

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Old 03-01-2020, 11:29 PM

I was researching aquaponics as a possible revenue stream today and the northern climate had me concerned. It was at that point I remembered having read reference to an Idaho banana belt so I searched that up. Now I am getting my ears up about treasure valley? Seems to be farther south though and I'm concerned about the politics. But it looks like Nampa might be close enough for me. More research I guess.

Old 03-02-2020, 10:48 AM

1,539 posts, read 1,479,980 times
I assume your water source for aquaponics is not from rainfall! Southern ID is significantly sunnier, but drier, and so pay attention to water sources. Others ought to keep me straight on this, but I think the Treasure Valley is outside of the big Snake river aquifer the stretches through eastern and southern ID along that river, like around Idaho Falls and Twin Fall, etc. But it's colder as you move further south and east from the Treasure Valley due to rising elevation.

Since you are not happy with CA, Ada County and Boise may be the political situation to which you refer. Nampa and Caldwell are outside of Ada County. It is not uniform group-think in the Treasure Valley. And not at all like that as you go to southern and eastern ID.

Old 03-03-2020, 07:44 PM

7,520 posts, read 2,815,579 times
If you don't mind a drive you can head to Shoshone County gun range in Smelterville. Hardly anyone ever there during the week and it's free. They have a gong up on the hill at about 500 yds. Fernan Range in CDA requires a membership but I hear it's worth it since their upgrades. We haven't been to Farragut range yet. We don't trail ride there anymore because of all the mountain bikers who don't know how to behave around horses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho