Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2013, 10:52 AM

445 posts, read 1,328,464 times

Advertisements

What’s a big town? For Idahoans (and according to the 2010 Census) it’s Boise, with a population of 205,671. That’s about 13% of the state’s total population. Incidentally, Idaho’s population of 1,567,652, is equal to the number of people who live in just one city….Philadelphia, Pennsylvania! On the other hand, what’s a small Idaho town? It doesn’t get much smaller than Warm River in Fremont County with a population of only....3!

Between these two extremes are scores and scores of towns - big and small - that have featured one or more annual events for years and years. Some of these local events celebrate the history of the town, some feature the agriculture in the area, some are fund raisers of one kind or another, and so on. Many include parades. Some feature a rodeo, races or local foods. Some events are simply an opportunity to get everyone together to have a good time. And, that they do!

Among other events here in Sandpoint, we celebrated “Lost in the Fifties” back in May and we look forward to the “Festival at Sandpoint” for 10 days in August. Downstate in Weiser, the “National Old Time Fiddlers’ Contest and Festival” is winding up today, while “Idaho Spud Day” celebrates the famous Idaho potato in Shelley on September 21. These are just some examples....you get the idea.

My question is: What local event in Idaho is your favorite? Why?

pimit2 (Bob)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2013, 11:35 PM

3,109 posts, read 10,837,332 times
4th of July in Sandpoint, starting with the parade, and capped off with the whole town turning out for fireworks at City Beach Park at night...we see most everyone we know in town in the space of about 5 hours, and having the fireworks go off right overhead is really cool.

Old 06-23-2013, 11:57 AM

5,324 posts, read 18,265,652 times
I have to go with the Freedom Festival on the 4th of July here in Idaho Falls. It used to be the Christmas parade, but they stopped doing that years ago

Old 06-23-2013, 12:40 PM

Is that the Melaleuca Freedom Celebration, cleosmom?

It must be. Last year, they claimed that the fireworks display was the biggest west of the Mississippi River, with an average of 9 shells being fired off every second....for 31 minutes....a total of 17,153 fireworks shells!

I also know that the celebration also pays tribute to the sacrifice of our soldiers and their families. "Little old" Idaho Falls showing the rest of the country how to celebrate our freedom. IFers should be proud....

pimit2 (Bob)

Old 06-24-2013, 06:57 AM

5,324 posts, read 18,265,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pimit2 View Post
Is that the Melaleuca Freedom Celebration, cleosmom?

It must be. Last year, they claimed that the fireworks display was the biggest west of the Mississippi River, with an average of 9 shells being fired off every second....for 31 minutes....a total of 17,153 fireworks shells!

I also know that the celebration also pays tribute to the sacrifice of our soldiers and their families. "Little old" Idaho Falls showing the rest of the country how to celebrate our freedom. IFers should be proud....

pimit2 (Bob)
Yes that is it. You have to pardon my error, not much sleep this weekend

Old 06-28-2013, 01:17 PM

3,338 posts, read 6,897,704 times
Here is a list of musical events in Idaho's mountains. I realize this is more than just one "favorite event", but nevertheless may revive this thread. The Harmonica Fest is awesome and draws a diverse crowd and Yellow Pine is one of those amazingly beautiful Idaho spots.

Let the good times roll... in the mountains | Music | Idahostatesman.com

Old 06-28-2013, 10:43 PM

8,440 posts, read 13,435,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pimit2 View Post
What’s a big town? For Idahoans (and according to the 2010 Census) it’s Boise, with a population of 205,671. That’s about 13% of the state’s total population. Incidentally, Idaho’s population of 1,567,652, is equal to the number of people who live in just one city….Philadelphia, Pennsylvania! On the other hand, what’s a small Idaho town? It doesn’t get much smaller than Warm River in Fremont County with a population of only....3!

Between these two extremes are scores and scores of towns - big and small - that have featured one or more annual events for years and years. Some of these local events celebrate the history of the town, some feature the agriculture in the area, some are fund raisers of one kind or another, and so on. Many include parades. Some feature a rodeo, races or local foods. Some events are simply an opportunity to get everyone together to have a good time. And, that they do!

Among other events here in Sandpoint, we celebrated “Lost in the Fifties” back in May and we look forward to the “Festival at Sandpoint” for 10 days in August. Downstate in Weiser, the “National Old Time Fiddlers’ Contest and Festival” is winding up today, while “Idaho Spud Day” celebrates the famous Idaho potato in Shelley on September 21. These are just some examples....you get the idea.

My question is: What local event in Idaho is your favorite? Why?

pimit2 (Bob)
Hey Bob,

What a great thread There are so many events done very well throughout the Gem State.

I have to join Cleosmom and say the Melaleuca Fireworks on the 4th. Last year a few pics got placed on YouTube along with some from the parade.

We're lucky to have such great events throughout the state.

I hope all is well with you.

MSR

Old 06-29-2013, 07:24 AM

We all love the 4th of July with the parades, get-togethers and the spectacular fireworks in an annual celebration of out nation's independence. It's special in so many ways.

And, 2013 is a special year for Idaho. On March 4, 1863, President Abraham Lincoln signed the act creating the Idaho Territory. So, this year, Idaho is celebrating 150 years, the State's Sesquicentennial Anniversary.

While July 4th is very important to the country, you may not remember that July 3rd is a very important date for Idaho?

On July 3, 1890, Idaho became the 43rd U.S. State.

Seems to me we should at least light up a few sparklers to celebrate July 3rd....

pimit2 (Bob)

Old 07-02-2013, 08:59 AM

1,939 posts, read 2,162,193 times
I always enjoyed the 4th of July fireworks in Cda and the after Thanksgiving parade and lighting of downtown.

Old 07-02-2013, 11:29 AM

349 posts, read 1,040,165 times
The Salmon Demo derby the Saturday after the 4th, always a good time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho