Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2014, 08:22 AM

3,338 posts, read 6,927,043 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatcity321 View Post
Regarding Seattle, I have found this to be a very live-and-let-live environment regardless of what point of view you come from. At least that's how it is in the suburbs. In general, people just leave you alone and let you live your life. I am very socially conservative and haven't had anyone be hostile towards me about it.

Thanks for sharing about the hostility in Idaho and the disdain of hearing about organic foods, eating healthy, etc. These things are important to me, and I had no idea that Idaho considers these ideas liberal. Since when is good health liberal?
Not sure how you came up with that. Organic foods in Idaho are grown in state, easy to find and all the rage, at least in the Boise area and local restaurants are also serving organic food products. A quick google search brings up a lot of organic farms in Idaho. I've heard it said many times that the Capitol City Saturday Market and Farmers Market in downtown Boise each Saturday is one of the largest organic foods markets in the Northwest. Not to mention that within blocks of each other in downtown Boise is a Whole Foods, Trader Joes and the Boise Co-op.

Old 05-14-2014, 04:12 PM

2,395 posts, read 3,028,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syringaloid View Post
Not sure how you came up with that. Organic foods in Idaho are grown in state, easy to find and all the rage, at least in the Boise area and local restaurants are also serving organic food products. A quick google search brings up a lot of organic farms in Idaho. I've heard it said many times that the Capitol City Saturday Market and Farmers Market in downtown Boise each Saturday is one of the largest organic foods markets in the Northwest. Not to mention that within blocks of each other in downtown Boise is a Whole Foods, Trader Joes and the Boise Co-op.
Not to mention the Six Rivers Market based in Sandpoint, or numerous farmer's markets based around the state ...

Old 04-01-2015, 10:13 AM

1 posts, read 2,219 times
Great thread, lots of great info.

I'm from Southern Idaho, my wife is from Mississippi. We're both Mormon, have tried living in SLC and Mississippi and haven't felt like we have found a place to put down roots. I graduated from LCSC in Lewiston and loved it up there, but I don't think going to college there was getting the full feel of living there. My wife and I are pretty conservative, but also march to the beat of our own drum. We believe everyone should live according to what they feel is best without judgement. Mormons are pretty much hated here in Mississippi... it was a mistake to move here, and the members of the church in Utah just seem a little different too me. I guess the point of my post is, can we feel at home up there without feeling like everyone is talking about us behind our backs because of our faith like in the South?

Old 04-01-2015, 11:19 AM

159 posts, read 356,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A-A-Ron View Post
Great thread, lots of great info.

I'm from Southern Idaho, my wife is from Mississippi. We're both Mormon, have tried living in SLC and Mississippi and haven't felt like we have found a place to put down roots. I graduated from LCSC in Lewiston and loved it up there, but I don't think going to college there was getting the full feel of living there. My wife and I are pretty conservative, but also march to the beat of our own drum. We believe everyone should live according to what they feel is best without judgement. Mormons are pretty much hated here in Mississippi... it was a mistake to move here, and the members of the church in Utah just seem a little different too me. I guess the point of my post is, can we feel at home up there without feeling like everyone is talking about us behind our backs because of our faith like in the South?
I think so, I can't imagine most people in CDA or North Idaho would really care what religion you practice. For the most part people have a live and let live attitude.

Old 04-03-2015, 06:54 AM

39,932 posts, read 26,639,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatcity321 View Post
Regarding Seattle, I have found this to be a very live-and-let-live environment regardless of what point of view you come from. At least that's how it is in the suburbs. In general, people just leave you alone and let you live your life. I am very socially conservative and haven't had anyone be hostile towards me about it.

Thanks for sharing about the hostility in Idaho and the disdain of hearing about organic foods, eating healthy, etc. These things are important to me, and I had no idea that Idaho considers these ideas liberal. Since when is good health liberal?
Idaho is far more libertarian than "conservative" IMO. Most people don't care what you eat, drink, or in increasing numbers, smoke. Oh, and most don't care if you smoke a cig in your yard or a public field either and aren't as "overbearing" about pushing their views on you as either conservatives or liberals. Both are equally intolerant of other's opinions that don't conform with their collective belief system.

Now if you spend $5 for coffee at Starbucks rather than $1 at your convenience store, or spend 3x the price for the same product because one says "organic" on the label....I don't necessarily consider you very smart financially, but I don't really care. It's your money, spend it how you want.

Old 02-06-2018, 12:37 AM

3 posts, read 2,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS35a View Post
I lived in Seattle for twenty years. It's long on scenic beauty but short on sane people. It's home of the 'if you don't believe in our long check list of, global warming, white people are all racists, capitalism is evil, etc, etc, etc, then we will scream at you at the drop of a hat.

Really, it's not a good place for a normal person to live. I visited Portland over the years, same deal.

I'm stuck in Phoenix which is a little too heat, sand, scorpions and strip malls for me. I hope to someday move to a place with four seasons and some green.

Is northern Idaho maybe the place? I love the climate and scenery of the northwest, but my experiences in Seattle make me leery.
If I didn't know better I would think I wrote this. I am trying to get out of [mod cut] California. [mod cut] 39 million people here and yes bad attitudes. Ready to hate and argue with anyone normal. I'm so sick of this place. I am considering Idaho or Arizona. I think Idaho may be better. The cold places are less populated, and it's worth it to get away from the crazy people, at least until they self-destruct.

Last edited by volosong; 02-06-2018 at 09:18 AM.. Reason: One thing we don't do in Idaho, or at least this forum, is cuss and swear, implied or overt.

Old 02-06-2018, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pattycake57 View Post
If I didn't know better I would think I wrote this. I am trying to get out of this [mod cut] California. [mod cut] 39 million people here and yes bad attitudes. Ready to hate and argue with anyone normal. I'm so sick of this place. I am considering Idaho or Arizona. I think Idaho may be better. The cold places are less populated, and it's worth it to get away from the crazy people, at least until they self-destruct.
Wow, your first post and you dug up a 3 year old thread.

With your attitude you might want to skip over Idaho, maybe look into Wyoming or the Dakotas?

Last edited by volosong; 09-24-2019 at 11:20 AM..

Old 02-06-2018, 09:01 AM

32,745 posts, read 48,403,474 times
So, we are going to resurrect a three year old thread?

It's my observation that politics aren't discussed much. I've heard that there are plenty of liberals moving to CDA, but they appear to be normal people type of liberals. The ones who rant and rave and break windows when they don't get their way are all moving to Portland.

There is plenty of organic food in the markets and they wouldn't carry it if no one was buying it.

So far, the liberals in Idaho haven't passed a law fining restaurants for giving out drinking straws (Califirnia) nor passed a law taxing the insurance companies 6% on their gross receipts and made it is illegal to pass the cost onto their clients, or voted that undocumented aliens under the age of 19 go onto a "free" government paid health care program (Oregon)

The behavior of liberals in the west coastal states tends to make conservatives rather nervous and myself, I'd be much happier if the radical militants ones would stay out of Idaho, and give the 50% of the population that are deplorable toothless uneducated primitive rednecks some place to get away from them.

[mod note] Limited political discussion is fine. What is not permitted is partisan political talk. We all know that partisan politics are rarely constructive and usually divisive. [/mod note]

Last edited by volosong; 02-06-2018 at 09:24 AM..

Old 02-06-2018, 09:11 AM

32,745 posts, read 48,403,474 times
I guess I should add that all of my neighbors have guns and occassionally, there is gunfire in the neighborhood from target practice or maybe just sighting in.

My neighbors are all sensible people and I have no problem trusting that they are all using their guns correctly with proper backstops. There aren't any stray bullets zinging around.

But I can see how this nice neighborhood might be uncomfortable to anyone who was anti-gun. I don't think there is anything unusual about my neighborhood and guns. This same gun situation is all over the state.

Old 02-06-2018, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
I guess I should add that all of my neighbors have guns and occassionally, there is gunfire in the neighborhood from target practice or maybe just sighting in.

My neighbors are all sensible people and I have no problem trusting that they are all using their guns correctly with proper backstops. There aren't any stray bullets zinging around.

But I can see how this nice neighborhood might be uncomfortable to anyone who was anti-gun. I don't think there is anything unusual about my neighborhood and guns. This same gun situation is all over the state.

What town do you live in?
Sounds like it could be a suburb of Chicago lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho