Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2011, 10:34 AM

5 posts, read 6,458 times

Advertisements

hi all,

moving to pocatello. im from california, so itll be a major change. i just had a few ?'s. i was wondering if i will be denied assistance because im not mormon. i really need help and i hear non-moromons get the shaft alot. also, how hard is it to adjust to "small town" life? i really like having lots of opportunities for entertainment. eh, im sure itll be fine. how bad are the winters? no way the (many) statistics online could be accurate. it couldnt really be that cold could it? ive also heard that gangs and crime are becoming a problem. is this true? really looking forward to the move as ive been told the scenery is fantastic. maybe ill buy a pristine ridge and build a big house. how are the gun control laws? i dont really like firearms. maybe i should go on a gun control crusade. also the low crime rates and cheap living seem appealing. i just hope i can find a job.

okay, okay. im just joshin you guys. i been reading alot of threads, and figured id hit all the funny/controversial points in one post. my wife actually already got a (helluva) job in poky, so, thats covered. i was raised mormon, so am familiar with the culture. dont have much of a life (day or night), so not worried about that. shes from wyo and tho i grew up in cali, i left when i was 16. been to wisconsin, wyo, and SD, so im looking forward to "mild" winters (though the winters in KY HAVE spoiled us the last 4 yrs). i realize gangs and crime are everywhere, so meh. and i cant wait to buy a semi auto m-4 (though cant keep it in the house), so im glad for the lack of gun "control".

mostly i just wanted to give a shout out and say hi. we'll be arriving in poc on aug. 16 and luckily her relocation package is very attractive, so we can take our time looking for a rental house (that takes small pets). we like the outdoors and i already plan on stopping at barrie's pretty much right away. kinda hopin someone on here might have a leg up on a 3 bd w yard and some type of view (looking at mountains, not down from them).

we have 2 kids, a toddler and infant, so we have plenty of time to find a school. we are non-religious, but looking for a church. preferably one that focuses on community, not religion.

oh, and i actually am this snarky in person.

thanks for any tips/guidance/advice/leads on stuff.

cant wait for dry heat and elevation!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by ilmfat; 07-28-2011 at 11:28 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2011, 12:13 PM

28,099 posts, read 29,981,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilmfat View Post
i was wondering if i will be denied assistance because im not mormon.
What kind of assistance are you thinking of?

Old 07-28-2011, 06:33 PM

5,324 posts, read 18,274,525 times
I think the most difficult problem will be finding a rental that allows pets. That's one of the hardest things to find in SE Idaho, but can be done.

Old 07-29-2011, 07:42 AM

katzpur: i was being sarcastic. altho assistance finding a good rental would be nice.

cleosmom: im hoping!!!!!!

Old 08-01-2011, 08:06 PM

29,219 posts, read 22,380,933 times
You will do well here!
I'm sure you'll be able to find a house. You might have to negotiate a pet deposit, but these days, owners/landlords are easier to work with than in the past. Enjoy the drive out!

Old 08-01-2011, 08:59 PM

3,969 posts, read 13,670,747 times
Actually, I like your sense of humor. You will do fine in Poky.

The one thing that may surprise you about E. Idaho is people are pretty down to earth, have a great sense of humor, and as long as you don't bring "Cali" with you, will be very accepting. Welcome.

Old 08-01-2011, 09:11 PM

3,969 posts, read 13,670,747 times
Actually, I like your sense of humor. You will do fine in Poky.

The one thing that may surprise you about E. Idaho is people are pretty down to earth, have a great sense of humor, and as long as you don't bring "Cali" with you, will be very accepting. Welcome.

Old 08-01-2011, 10:08 PM

thanks for the replies people. definitely lookin forward to it. especially since our a/c died. if we were already there, just open the windows and wed be searchin for extra blankets come morning. here, it never feels cool. 3 am's even sticky. ugh. 9 more days til we leave. 15 til we arrive.

oh, does sizzler still have the cheese toast? ive tried a dozen or so times over the years to duplicate it, alas, unsuccessfully.

Old 08-02-2011, 06:56 PM

5,324 posts, read 18,274,525 times
I have no idea if Sizzler still has cheese toast, I try and stay as far away from there as I do California...oops, did I type that outloud?

One better, IMO, is Texas Roadhouse and their yummy rolls

I leave my windows open all night and never yearn for a blanket, then again after 20 some years, I've adapted to the temperatures.

One way to find out about rentals that allow pets is to check with vet clinics or pet supply stores, they might have an "in" on the information. I work in IF at a pet boarding facility and have a couple of names for real estate agents here that rent to folks with pets. So I imagine they would too.

And yes, I too was laughing when reading your original post

Old 08-03-2011, 02:52 PM

we got a T. roadhouse here, so not too biggy. she does love the rolls tho.

i havent been to a sizzler in 16 yrs, so im definitely lookin forward to it.

thanks for the tip about the vets. its good to know.

soon soon soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
View detailed profiles of: