Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-16-2011, 11:47 AM

356 posts, read 520,614 times

Advertisements

Hello, again!

I posted a while back, but family circumstances became priority one, so I couldn't follow up here. Things have settled now and our plan to move to the area has reached a new phase.

Our family will be arriving in the area in just under 2 weeks. So I have some questions, if some of you locals might have a moment?

1) My 9 year old daughter and I (and our German Shepherd) get to stay the whole summer (daddy can only stay for a week or two on both ends of the visit). Any suggestions for what we should see, do, experience? I've bookmarked a bunch of ranches/farms (hey, what 9 yr old girl doesn't love animals, and who could miss "Pack River Yaks?") and I know she wants to swim and go to the amusement park, but that leaves loooads of free time-yay!

2) We will be beginning our house hunt this summer, as well. Ideally, we will buy this summer, but if we can't find the right place, we'll wait. We definately plan to buy by the end of next summer. We want a minimum of 5 acres (2 horses already, and goodness knows how many more animals once we get the short person into 4H), and would prefer a decent school available (I homeschool now, but because we have an only, we'd prefer she go to school for a while to make friends.) Any suggestions as to areas? Any advice for us? I know to check proximity to train tracks, but any other concerns? Also, does anyone have recommendations for local lenders?

I will likely think of a gazillion other things once I post this, so any advice or suggestions you think are important will be much appreciated.

Thank you! We can't wait to leave!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2011, 03:49 PM

820 posts, read 1,740,425 times
Hi! Sandpoint is a beautiful area. Alot of great communities around it as well. When you get here, I would just take a day or 2 drive and explore. Do you want to be in sandpoint itself or one of the in between Sandpoint-CDA areas? That is going to be your toughest choice. Sandpoint is great, so is CDA and most people I know choose to live inbetween.

I have a couple great lenders I work with everyday, just depends on what type of loan you are thinking and your life experience's to whom I would recommend you. If you want some specific information about any properties or area's, shoot me a pm and I will look them up for you!

As far as stuff to do, silverwood would be a good day. If your going to be here before july 1st, Bayview Daze is alot of fun and great fireworks. Come down to CDA for a day and parasail, take a cruise on the lake, plenty of trails to hike, the fair is 3rd week in July. Thats all I can think about now!

Old 06-19-2011, 10:05 AM

356 posts, read 520,614 times
Default Thanks, Shaner

We are torn over the "north or south of the long bridge" question. We go back and forth debating the pro's and con's of each. Your advice to spend time exploring is excellent.

Silverwood is definately on the agenda. We've driven by it, but couldn't squeeze it in before. We would have a revolt on our hands if we didn't get there this time!

I'll check out Bayview Daze on-line. We'll be arriving on the 27th, so time-wise it should work. Do you know if it's dog friendly, or is that one the pooch should skip?

Thanks so much for responding; I appreciate the help.

P.S. I'll PM you if I need lender contact.

Old 06-19-2011, 12:21 PM

5,266 posts, read 8,747,546 times
Check out the area west of Sandpoint as well. Laclede, the Wrencoe Loop area, Carr Creek. Nice places for horse people.

Old 06-21-2011, 09:57 AM

820 posts, read 1,740,425 times
I think that most of the events are all dog friendly. Coming in on the 27th is going to be a rough day, that is Ironman.

Old 06-21-2011, 03:49 PM

3,109 posts, read 10,841,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LionFamily View Post
We are torn over the "north or south of the long bridge" question. We go back and forth debating the pro's and con's of each. Your advice to spend time exploring is excellent.
What made the decision for us was when we considered how many of our family activities would eventually be requiring trips to CDA. In Sagle we're about 40 minutes from Hayden and North CDA. In Sandpoint it's just under an hour. When we looked at dance, gymnastics, soccer (Sandpoint Strikers club soccer is top notch, but a LOT of games are in CDA area), shopping, dining, movies, specialty shops (Black Sheep, etc), theater arts, etc....then we realized that north of the long bridge was less attractive...especially because Sandpoint (city) has around DOUBLE the property taxes of unincorporated Bonner County (we pay 1%), and I don't think you get your money's worth for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
View detailed profiles of: