Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2014, 06:23 PM

792 posts, read 1,302,934 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtn. States Resident View Post
6 keystrokes? LOL
Quote:
Originally Posted by juneaubound View Post
Thanks guys. I really appreciate your understanding and you taking time to acknowledge the death of my pup. Her name was Jamie and yes MSR, she adopted us, we didn't adopt her. I was living in Tennessee at the time with my two boys and husband (now ex), and we had just adopted a dog from the local Humane Society two years earlier.

We lived in the country, and dogs were regularly abandoned out there. We had already taken one other dog to the HS by the time Jamie showed up at our door. I told the boys "don't feed her, don't give her water, she'll go on".

It was January 2001, and for the next few days this cute pup of a few months old wouldn't leave. Every day I would come home from work and she would come bounding like Tigger from Winnie the Pooh from behind one barn or another to greet me. After four or five days of this I realized that either she was a) drinking the goat's water and eating their food to survive or b) the boys were subversely feeding her.

My youngest son Chris had a habit of throwing his jacket and hat down on the covered porch in back of the house before coming inside, and after this dog had been hanging around for almost a week I looked outside one evening and she had bunched the jacket and hat into a ball and was sitting on the porch using the jacket and hat as a pillow. Oh geeze.

The next morning I looked out the window again and pup was licking ice off the concrete. Oh geeze. I gave her a bowl of water and a bowl of food before heading for work, and by the end of the day had decided that she wasn't going to leave and that we now had two dogs instead of one.

The next day I took her to the vet, just to make sure that she was healthy before introducing her to our other dog. She threw up all over the back seat of my car. I put a sign up in the front yard for another week just in case somebody had lost her instead of abandoning her, but by that time she had wormed her way into all of our hearts, I had an appointment made to get her spade, and she was our dog. I named her Jamie after a TV show character I was watching at the time - a comedy about a newly married couple, with the lead womans' name being Jamie ("Mad About You").

Maybe we'll get another dog at some point but I guess we'll know when and if the time is right. Jamie was always up for an adventure. She loved to go for a drive, and would walk anywhere with me. My husband nick-named her Point Dog because she always had to be out front (walking point). We hiked up to glaciers in Juneau (and one day she alerted me and my husband to a grizz). I was trail running in Tennessee one day, and my husband and Jamie surprised me on the trail (they had found my truck and tracked me). Sometimes I had to cajole her during our walks. Sometimes I had to lift her. Sometimes I had to give her a butt-push to get her up and over an obstacle in our path. Sometimes I had to turn back because the going was just too rough for a pup. But Jamie would follow me anywhere. I miss my girl.

Thanks again guys.
Thank you for sharing your life with Jamie, and your story with us. During those times when you miss her most, look no further than your heart, because she is safely there, very much alive and very safe and secure...

Awesome story...thanks 😉
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2014, 11:26 PM

8,440 posts, read 13,450,639 times
Default Variety at CDF

I appreciate the rep pts. I receive probably the most for the messages that will often accompany them. I have firm opinions about some subjects, have fun with others and try to provide useful tips for some who need them. If you check the Idaho Porch often, you probably know about the "Cold Day in Hell," post.

Briefly, someone told me it would be a "Cold Day in Hell" before he would consider my suggestions. I guess GA must have been quite cold for more than a day last week. You can read more on "The Porch."

I'm always pleased when someone thinks I've made a difficult subject easier to understand or added merit to a discussion.

Maybe I post obvious comments that strike some as funny, IDK I just had to laugh at a rep comment I got today. It was about media getting stories accurate in what has now become a hot topic thread I started. There always are two or more sides to every story.

I post in various forums but I try to post accurate info if it is coming from me. I'm not saying others in Idaho don't value the same honesty. I guess that same view isn't held by all at CDF, given the comment I received today.

I appreciate all in this sub-forum and your honesty shown here. I do understand some can't comment about certain topics given work or other. Nonetheless, I appreciate what is shared in this sub-forum

msr

Old 01-04-2014, 05:08 PM

Default New Site for Info and Pics

A new site to show more and a different side of the Idaho Falls metro. Juneau, you may love the pics and info about Arco.

See what you think: The Local in Idaho Falls

MSR

Old 01-04-2014, 07:32 PM

10,688 posts, read 7,722,856 times
Default Coming back to SE Idaho for vacation

Well, in post 21 of this thread I explained why the wife and I are making a different choice for retirement. But we enjoyed our time in SE Idaho so much that we are going to a large cabin in Island Park in June and bringing our son and his family and some friends from Kentucky. By that time, good Lord allowing, we will have moved back to Colorado. I booked the reservation tonight.

We choose Island Park so we can do a couple of days in Yellowstone, but also because the cabin is out in the woods and at the end of a dirt road, so there is some privacy. In the past we generally stayed in Big Sky. Part of new choice was because on some thread, Banjomike gave an impressive history about working in Island Park--I think at some ranch that may now be a resort. Anyway, it sounded appealing. Banjo, if that ranch/resort is still around we might try to give it a visit if you can refresh my memory.

We'll try to leave a little Colorado, Kentucky, and Texas money in your fine state! Every one of you have been a fine tourism ambassador.

Old 01-05-2014, 06:14 AM

5,324 posts, read 18,280,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardendresden View Post
Well, in post 21 of this thread I explained why the wife and I are making a different choice for retirement. But we enjoyed our time in SE Idaho so much that we are going to a large cabin in Island Park in June and bringing our son and his family and some friends from Kentucky. By that time, good Lord allowing, we will have moved back to Colorado. I booked the reservation tonight.

We choose Island Park so we can do a couple of days in Yellowstone, but also because the cabin is out in the woods and at the end of a dirt road, so there is some privacy. In the past we generally stayed in Big Sky. Part of new choice was because on some thread, Banjomike gave an impressive history about working in Island Park--I think at some ranch that may now be a resort. Anyway, it sounded appealing. Banjo, if that ranch/resort is still around we might try to give it a visit if you can refresh my memory.

We'll try to leave a little Colorado, Kentucky, and Texas money in your fine state! Every one of you have been a fine tourism ambassador.
I think that is totally awesome! Just because you move to Colorado, doesn't mean that you can't come visit You're always more than welcome!!

Old 01-06-2014, 12:06 AM

Default Has Anyone Used This Yet?

Quote:
A new site to show more and a different side of the Idaho Falls metro. Juneau, you may love the pics and info about Arco.

See what you think: The Local in Idaho Falls

MSR
Just wondered what anyone thought about this new resource for Idaho Falls and the surrounding area.

Please post once you try it. There are hidden treasures and places few know about. Check it out to appreciate things you may have missed previously.

MSR

Last edited by Mtn. States Resident; 01-06-2014 at 12:55 AM..

Old 01-09-2014, 06:00 PM

6,265 posts, read 5,077,028 times
Quote:
Just wondered what anyone thought about this new resource for Idaho Falls and the surrounding area.

Please post once you try it. There are hidden treasures and places few know about. Check it out to appreciate things you may have missed previously.

MSR
Quote from the site you posted MSR:

Anyplace with a Mello-Dee Club and a giant mountain man on the outskirts of town is in my Book of Cool.

I like the site and agree with the author. Arco is some kind of quirky little Idaho town at the base of the valley, and it was nice to see someone else who agrees with my assessment.

A recent picture of our new pup BTW. Not much snow left by the time this picture was taken, but we've got plenty again after the past 24 hours:

Old 01-09-2014, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by juneaubound View Post
Quote from the site you posted MSR:

Anyplace with a Mello-Dee Club and a giant mountain man on the outskirts of town is in my Book of Cool.

I like the site and agree with the author. Arco is some kind of quirky little Idaho town at the base of the valley, and it was nice to see someone else who agrees with my assessment.

A recent picture of our new pup BTW. Not much snow left by the time this picture was taken, but we've got plenty again after the past 24 hours:
Juneau,

I'm glad you checked the new link out. I had a hunch you would like it.

Good for you for posting your Blogspot I like the name change......Nice, very nice.

MSR

Old 01-16-2014, 09:28 PM

Default Good

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardendresden View Post

Sounds great Warden! You'll have to remind us of your granddaughter's age so we can recommend a few other things. Will she be bringing a friend to play, hike and do other things with, or is she young enough mom and dad are still "cool?"

Island Park should be a nice homebase. Check out the Play I'll Theater in West Yellowstone. Their productions can be fun.

Take care and please give your wife and family my best.

MSR

Old 01-16-2014, 09:45 PM

Default Wow- Sometimes Good Guys Do Come in First

I got a note from a dear friend of mine. He just landed a major job working with a medicine he use to work with 10-15 yrs. ago. Such a hard worker and one person I've always said I'd add with no reservation to my bank acct etc. given his honesty. He knows me in a way few do...the person I trusted the most to ask for his help with various things. Besides, he has always remembered my favorite restaurant regardless of where else work has taken us.

Intelligent, fun, helpful and clearly always stands for the truth and doing the right thing, even if that meant an employer let him go for refusing to lie.

I'm so proud of you, Aaron! And I'm proud to be your friend. Maybe a lot of things will start to change soon - I sure hope so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls