Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Hyundai and Kia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-31-2009, 11:41 AM

14,100 posts, read 28,534,474 times

Advertisements

Just came from the dealership to look at the Kia Forte, the replacement for the Spectra. Fuel economy is improved. With 2 L base engine (156hp 155 torque) the fuel econom is 24 city and 35 highway. If you opt for the fuel economy package those numbers go to 26/37. Optional engine is 2.4L 173hp/168 torque. Body weight is 2,740 (2L auto trans) or 2,868 (2.4L auto trans). Doesn't look as top heavy as the Corolla. Is more conservatively styled than the Civic but more stylish than the Corolla. I have a 2003 Malibu and the Forte's passenger space, front and rear, felt as big as my Malibu. The split fold rear seat folds nearly flat. Base tires are 15 inch which is cheaper to replace when treads wear away. Called the wife to come take a look. Dashboard materials felt higher quality. She was surprised at how the materials felt when she opened and closed the glove compartment and sunglass holder. Downside for her is she still can't get the driver's seat high enough to see over the dash without a cushion. She needed a cushion for her 96 Protege'. Her 07 Sebring with power seat gets her to a position so she won't need a cushion. She said she'd be ok with using a cushion on those rare occasions when she'd have to drive the car. We enjoyed some of the colors including dark cherry metallic and bronze metallic. The interior colors are stone, coffee, and black. Dark cherry metallic only comes with coffee so we'd look at the bronze metallic which comes with stone. My only concern is the torsion beam rear suspension. How smooth does this type of suspension ride on Louisiana horrible roads, among the worst in the country. This is a concern for the sake of my wife's severe back condition. Will be going back Monday to test drive the Forte. If weather permits, we may go Saturday but we've got a high chance of rain for Saturday. Will also do some research on magazine reviews to see how it fares. No comparison test as yet. It's most obvious test opponents includ the Civic, Corolla, and Sentra.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2009, 12:00 PM

5,994 posts, read 20,093,452 times
Glad to hear you had a positive experience with the Forte. I'd definitely recommend it to anyone who's looking for an attractively styled yet economical vehicle.

Old 07-31-2009, 12:02 PM

2,482 posts, read 6,533,345 times
I have not been up close and personal with that vehicle yet. I did see one on the road a few months back and it caught my eye...only because of how different it looked. Not for me...but I am sure for my others out there.
Good luck to you.

Old 07-31-2009, 12:07 PM

11,155 posts, read 29,323,086 times
http://www.birchwoodkia.ca/userfiles/image/Blog/2010%20Kia%20Forte%20SX.jpg (broken link)

I have to say they are pretty nice looking cars what trim were you looking at?

Old 07-31-2009, 12:17 PM

I was looking at the EX. The LX is the base model. The SX has the 2.4L engine. The transmissions for the 2.0L engine is either 5 speed manual or 4 speed auto. The transmissions for the 2.4L is either 6 speed manual or 5 speed auto. Found a Car and Driver quick test drive of the 2.4L with automatic transmission. It's test performance numbers were less than a second slower than the Top engine Civic and Corolla but those two were manual transmission and the Forte was automatic. From what I read, it's handling wasn't sporty but it does have four wheel disc brakes and electronic stability control, brake assist system, and traction control system standard on all models. There's a rumor that Kia is holding off the sportier handling for the Forte' Koup (two door model) coming next year. The two door model looks like it's aimed squarely at the Civic coupe. While at the dealership I looked at the Kia Soul. It's not for us. It looks like it was designed for people between late teens and late 20s. Take away the funky styling and it's very functional for two people. It's interior design is what I would recommend for kids getting ready to head to college. Very little rear seat room but fold down the back seat and you have plenty of room to haul stuff from dorm to greek house. It's also has a great many ways to be customized. Too childish for my wife and I who are in our 40s.

Old 07-31-2009, 12:35 PM

OK, used MSN Auto comparison tool to compare the Forte, Corolla, and my 2003 Malibu interior volume. Front headroom winner is Forte, .60 more than Malibu and 1.2 more than Corolla. Rear headroom was a tie between Forte and Malibu, .40 more than Corolla. Front legroom winner is Forte, 1.4 more tan Malibu and 1.6 more than Corolla. Rear legroom winner is my Malibu, 3 more than Forte and 1.7 more than Corolla. Shoulder room front and read winner is Forte. Front hip room tie between Forte and Corolla. Forte wins rear hip room. Rear leg room isn't a worry for us since my wife and I are both short (5'5" me and 4'11" wife). Plenty of rear leg room for father-in-law should he ride with us. Also standard is full side curtain airbags, front seat mounted airbags, and dashboard airbags. That's a big plus for my wife, who has serious spinal conditions, and my father-in-law who turns 84 in a few months.

Old 07-31-2009, 07:15 PM

2,544 posts, read 4,283,841 times
Quote:
My only concern is the torsion beam rear suspension
Torsion bar suspension has been around a long time. Similar in ride quality to coil springs, much better than leaf springs (which you only see on trucks anymore.) Some might argue that it is smoother. I can't speak to this particular design, but in general it's solid technology.

Old 08-03-2009, 04:35 PM

After seeing the car I went home and went online to Kia and wrote to them my impression of the Kia Forte and the problem my wife has with fitting in the driver's seat. Wasn't mean or nasty. Was honest. They, Kia customer service, called me this afternoon thanking me for my comments and asking for any suggestions. Know someone who works at their dealership as a mechanic and he said the reason why their quality has gone up is because of their 10 year/100,000 mile warranty which includes repair reports being collected so as to spot problem areas and correct those problems as they're found. For the sake of my wife I suggested something optional for short people like seat risers or a slighly higher seat height adjustment. At this point in time if I had to buy a new vehicle it would have to be either a Chrysler Sebring or Dodge Avenger since those are the only two vehicles we've found so far that will fit her body.

Old 08-03-2009, 08:26 PM

453 posts, read 1,536,128 times
We just bought a Forte EX. We initially had a deal in place to buy a Sentra and we were all set to pick it up but drove this and got a better deal. VERY happy with it so far!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Hyundai and Kia