Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Hyundai and Kia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-04-2024, 05:04 PM

842 posts, read 768,934 times

Advertisements

My malfunction indicator lamp just went on. It’s not blinking it’s just steady. I looked at the manual to see what it meant and it’s telling me I should see an authorized Hyundai dealer. My question is whether I really have to go to the dealer to get it checked out or someone else. My dealer is rather far away and I’d rather go to a local mechanic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 06:56 AM

11,045 posts, read 4,719,587 times
even the dumbest of scan tools while tell you why it is on...if its a P code its the powertrain...then you can look it up.

BUT, sometimes its something else that makes it report a failure. not as common as history, but it does happen.

In almost no cases does a dealer for the brand have to be involved.

Old Yesterday, 11:04 AM

17,740 posts, read 15,507,173 times
Yeah.. Blinking SES/MIL is much more problematic.. That's something that has to be addressed immediately. And.. While I could probably TECHNICALLY argue the 'any scan tool' that RetireinPA mentioned.. Because I've seen some crappy ones and some weird manufacturer specific codes.. the odds are overwhelmingly good that any scanner will tell you what it is.

Take it down to autozone or wherever and have them read it.

Since you didn't mention a model or year.. Just going off your location.. And playing the odds.

I'm going to put my money on something in the P0440 to P0460 range. Emissions. EVAP issue.

Not being totally familiar with Hyundai.. I'll lay a full dollar on a large evap leak of P0455, perhaps coupled with another code.

Long story short.. I'm putting that big dollar on a failed vent valve. I'd put a whole $2 on the code being an EVAP code. Betting the salt from your roads got to it.

Quite frankly. You can ride with that for a while. At least until your next inspection. The problem with doing so is that.. You have the light on, which is annoying.. And because it's always on.. if you have a SECONDARY failure.. Well, the light was already on. It doesn't light up brighter when there are more codes. Plus, EVAP monitors usually stop running at the first error.. If you get this fixed, and it is evap and a vent valve.. Don't freak out if the light comes back on a few days later. Your mechanic will have fixed the problem, but EVAP monitors take so long to run because of their criteria requirements, it's not uncommon to fix 'the' problem only for the next one to pop up. And it's not your mechanic's fault.

That being said.. Too many mechanics don't explain that situation overly well.

Old Yesterday, 03:45 PM

842 posts, read 768,934 times
Thank you all. First time I’ve owned a car so I panic easily. I went to my local auto parts store and they checked it with that gadget. Long story short - my gas cap wasn’t on tight so it registered as an emissions problem. So glad it wasn’t serious.

Old Yesterday, 08:55 PM

17,740 posts, read 15,507,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by october2007 View Post
Thank you all. First time I’ve owned a car so I panic easily. I went to my local auto parts store and they checked it with that gadget. Long story short - my gas cap wasn’t on tight so it registered as an emissions problem. So glad it wasn’t serious.

Ok.. Now, just going to tell you.. You probably got the Large Evap leak code, and everything says check the gas cap. It's almost NEVER the gas cap!

Maybe you get lucky.. Come back in a couple of weeks and let us know. But.. I'll lay at least even money that it lights back up again with the same code within a week or two, pending on how you drive.

Leaving the gas cap off WILL cause a large leak. So.. It's certainly possible.. But.. Most times it's not.

Just to know.. What year is the vehicle, and is your MA location accurate? And has the vehicle been there the whole time?

And.. Remember.. Grain of salt here(no pun intended). I haven't seen your vehicle.. No expert on Hyuindai/Kia.. And, honestly, I don't see many issues with corrosion being here in SC where only rarely do the roads get treated, and when they do, it's with brine which is at least somewhat better than the salt you get. Plus, even that rarely happens. I've checked out a few northern cars that made their way down here, tho. And i've always recommended a hard pass on them due to the corrosion issues.

So.. Everything I say is from my own experience.. And I don't do this professionally, so even THAT is limited. But.. you're not looking at something massive even if it is elsewhere. About the worst case scenario is that you've got a rotting filler neck.. And I wouldn't really expect that unless the vehicle is 10+ years old, living in MA the whole time. And.. Well.. I guess if it is 'just' the filler neck rotted.. That probably doesn't speak well to the condition of the frame. But I'd be shocked if that were the problem and the ONLY problem. So.. High odds it's not that.

But.. Yes.. I do kinda suspect you've got something more than a loose gas cap. But I still expect it's rather minor.. And.. As I mentioned. Look at your inspection sticker. You can ride it until that comes due. I'm trying my damndest not to freak you out.. lol. And you shouldn't be freaked. Even if the code does come back.

Last edited by Labonte18; Yesterday at 09:03 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Hyundai and Kia