Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Hyundai and Kia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-23-2023, 07:25 PM

2,014 posts, read 5,096,883 times

Advertisements

My '21 Elantra has (had?) some electrical issues. One night about a year and a half ago, I was about to go to the gas station and suddenly a bunch of alerts randomly toggled on my dashboard and the steering wheel was hard to turn. The next day, everything started working again.

I took it to a Hyundai dealership and was told that I had an electrical issue and that they had to order parts. By the way, the camera stopped working as well. They ordered the parts and everything has been working fine for the most part. Maybe once every 3-4 months, I'll get random alert that pops up and goes away.

I filed a claim with Hyundai. After months, they wrote back saying Hyundai wouldn't be able to buy back the car, but they'd give me $500 for "customer satisfaction" as long as I signed a document saying that they aren't liable for anything.

I'm sorry but doesn't this sound fishy? Should I pursue anything further with my own attorney? The problem hasn't come up much but it's still not really a comfortable feeling knowing that these random alerts can pop up at any time, and it feels like Hyundai is basically settling with "hush money"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2023, 08:18 PM

843 posts, read 562,857 times
Definitely fishy, Bro-fessor. $500 isn't much. Not worth signing away your legal rights.

What is the warranty you have in place? If it's only covered by the 5 yr/60,000 mile basic warranty, I'd want to have more. Although it seems to be fixed, you just never know with electrical issues. Not sure if you can negotiate for more/extended warranty coverage? For example, Ford automatically extended the warranty to 10 yr/100k for powertrain on their crappy dual clutch transmissions in the Focus and Fiesta.

Last edited by KO Stradivarius; 08-23-2023 at 08:26 PM..

Old 08-24-2023, 12:57 AM

4,621 posts, read 2,218,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Soul Bro View Post
My '21 Elantra has (had?) some electrical issues. One night about a year and a half ago, I was about to go to the gas station and suddenly a bunch of alerts randomly toggled on my dashboard and the steering wheel was hard to turn. The next day, everything started working again.

I took it to a Hyundai dealership and was told that I had an electrical issue and that they had to order parts. By the way, the camera stopped working as well. They ordered the parts and everything has been working fine for the most part. Maybe once every 3-4 months, I'll get random alert that pops up and goes away.

I filed a claim with Hyundai. After months, they wrote back saying Hyundai wouldn't be able to buy back the car, but they'd give me $500 for "customer satisfaction" as long as I signed a document saying that they aren't liable for anything.

I'm sorry but doesn't this sound fishy? Should I pursue anything further with my own attorney? The problem hasn't come up much but it's still not really a comfortable feeling knowing that these random alerts can pop up at any time, and it feels like Hyundai is basically settling with "hush money"
Whatever amount of money they're offering you it's probably less than what it would cost to fix the issue. Not repair your car but fix the issue.

I would advise don't sign that unless someone's going to come and break your legs if you don't give them the $500 you owe them don't sign.

Old 08-24-2023, 01:18 AM

9,974 posts, read 5,669,596 times
NDAs and no-liability clauses are standard features of payout settlements whether it's $500 or $5,000,000.

Old 08-24-2023, 06:21 AM

22,653 posts, read 24,575,170 times
I would first try to get the official TSBs on the problem and go from there.

It may be something very fixable without spending much money, or it could be a systemic-issue that will be a pain the whole time you own the thing.

Old 08-24-2023, 09:09 AM

1,097 posts, read 641,748 times
You only have one chance to properly document the failures under warranty and your attempts to get the dealer to resolve them. Every time the problem recurs, I would take it to the dealer and tell them what happened and that it needs to be fixed. Make sure you get a print-out that states the reason you brought the car in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Hyundai and Kia