Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Hyundai and Kia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2023, 11:52 PM

5,587 posts, read 8,398,368 times

Advertisements

Wow, this thread is eye-opening. I've leased my vehicles over the past 30+ years, usually in the middle-luxury market. The most reliable have been Infiniti, Acura and BMW. The most problematic were Cadillac and the GMC I have now. Hence, I'm sorry to say it but I will never buy American again. Anyway, ten years ago I would have looked down my nose at Genesis/Hyundai and Kia. However, having been priced out of some of the brands I've mentioned, these brands have gained respectability and seemed like a good alternative in terms of looks and bang for the buck. Well, not really the Genesis as the model I'd want is also out of my price range. But I LOVE the Kia Telluride and Sorento. They are really sharp-looking vehicles. People I know with Hyundais and Kias seem very happy with them, but I guess I'll have to really do some polling when my next lease term comes up in 2025.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2023, 12:22 AM

3,657 posts, read 2,937,139 times
I think the current Kia Sorento interior comfort and design is off the CHARTS! Everything about it to me feels as good on the inside as European cars and the controls are no where as confusing where I have to google how to even use basic things.

Old 12-17-2023, 06:43 PM

1,226 posts, read 1,279,994 times
One interesting note: Hyundai "junk" likely saved Tiger Woods' life. He was driving a Genesis GV80. The cabin remained remarkably intact, including the panoramic sunroof.

Old 12-18-2023, 07:24 PM

5,587 posts, read 8,398,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverBrian View Post
One interesting note: Hyundai "junk" likely saved Tiger Woods' life. He was driving a Genesis GV80. The cabin remained remarkably intact, including the panoramic sunroof.
Yes, I forgot to mention that! When I saw how that Genesis SUV had survived that crash, I definitely changed my tune on Genesis just being a wannabe Mercedes. Plus, what I could see of the remaining wreck, it looked like a sharp vehicle! I did price them out but with the model/package I wanted, it would be $64K....hence, a GMC Terrain. The thing broke down in the midst of rush-hour traffic, not even a year old. (Electronic issue)

Old 12-18-2023, 10:12 PM

1,976 posts, read 6,852,517 times
I work on my own cars and have listed my issues with the 2013 Sonata Theta II engine earlier in the discussion. We have had two Tucsons and a Veloster too. I got rid of them at an earlier mileage before issues popped up. I also have had quite a few Toyota's along with some domestics, Honda, Nissan, Mitsu, etc.

When I work on the Hyundia's, most of the designs are very similar if not the same as Toyota, except that the part quality is a bit inferior. The plastic is more rigid, the pins brake easier, etc. By the same token, then the radiator (which is the same Denso) goes bad at an earlier stage, the axles start clicking at around 80K miles, the hood or hatch strut goes bad, the clocks spring fails, and so on.

Toyota is not flawless either, but we keep our cars at least up to 200K miles and that does make a difference. The other thing is, the resale on a Toyota is much better and easier. So, unless I get an amazing deal on a Kia/Hyundai, I will prefer to get something else.

Old 12-31-2023, 11:49 AM

25,693 posts, read 12,772,161 times
Just sold my Kia Telluride after 2.5 yrs of flawless ownership.

The driver seat wasnt comfortable for long trips, and I just got bored of it...wanted something more upscale.

Somebody in Tampa is going to get a great Kia Telluride SUB w/ low miles on it.

Bought for $35k, sold for $30k after 2.5 yrs and 24,500 miles...VERY low cost of ownership...I had the base LX model w/o any options. Burned regular gas, never spent 1 penny on any repair, but it was under warranty...no warranty claims, did have 1 recall the dealer took care of for free of course.

A+ exprience. Might try a Genesis next time we need a car. I would have bought one this time but the local dealers didnt have any White G70's or G80's that were not loaded up w/ usesless options.

Old 01-23-2024, 08:15 AM

2,962 posts, read 4,995,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
I bought my 1st Kia in 2021, a Telluride (base model demo), & its been perfect, but I have not yet hit 20k on it.

I had a 2006 Honda Element & the tranny dropped at 133k...I'll never buy another Honda....cost me $3,800 for rebuilt trans.

I drove the Ioniq...didnt like the deacceleration drag, even when set to low..too small, plasticy looking front, rear, & interior for the $...pass.

I like the looks of Genesis SUV's, but when I tried to buy the larger one they had none, so I bought the Kia Telluride instead.
There's no drag when set to 0 in manual mode and very little at the lower auto modes. It's very configurable but there is a learning curve.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sdxsRhLaYgY
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Hyundai and Kia