Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Hyundai and Kia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2020, 04:28 AM

6,073 posts, read 4,746,641 times

Advertisements

Remember when the Koreans made the value brands? I guess those days are long gone. The new K5 is more expensive than the Camary and the Accord, the class leaders. Clearly the K5 will be heavily discounted, as all Korean cars are, but this still seems a little extreme. When they got their designers from Audi and BMW, I didn't think German car prices would follow. You can get a new A4 for less than the cost of a top trim K5. In this segment, I would stick with the Accord and the Camary.

https://www.motor1.com/news/437553/m...e-2021-kia-k5/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2020, 02:49 PM

672 posts, read 698,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionsgators View Post
Remember when the Koreans made the value brands? I guess those days are long gone. The new K5 is more expensive than the Camary and the Accord, the class leaders. Clearly the K5 will be heavily discounted, as all Korean cars are, but this still seems a little extreme. When they got their designers from Audi and BMW, I didn't think German car prices would follow. You can get a new A4 for less than the cost of a top trim K5. In this segment, I would stick with the Accord and the Camary.

If you add accessories similar to the K5 it's still the cheapest model. The Camry at a discounted price, will still be around 36k before taxes, in my area at least. The K5 will likely have the biggest price discount. In my opinion, a minimum of 10% off of msrp.

When It comes to getting the premium powertrain option in each car lineup the Honda Accord is the best value buy.

Old 08-06-2020, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc1538 View Post
If you add accessories similar to the K5 it's still the cheapest model. The Camry at a discounted price, will still be around 36k before taxes, in my area at least. The K5 will likely have the biggest price discount. In my opinion, a minimum of 10% off of msrp.

When It comes to getting the premium powertrain option in each car lineup the Honda Accord is the best value buy.
the accord is a good vehicle, especially with the 2.0. I don't think I would want the 1.5 because of some of the issues. they never had the issues with the 2.0 though.

Old 08-06-2020, 08:12 PM

672 posts, read 698,110 times
Honda seems constantly have quality control issues in recent years. A friend of mine bought a new accord and had several issues at the beginning. The 2.0t is impressive to me. It performs better than Honda's or Toyota's V6 motors every time. Any you know it can handle more power since it really is just an de-tuned motor from the civic type r.

Old 08-09-2020, 02:38 PM

21,827 posts, read 25,102,289 times
Quote:

Yes, a base model. A top of trim A4 will run into the middle $50k range. At the end of the day it's still a 2.0 four banger that's $50,000. Ouch. I've never been a huge fan of Hyundai/Kia. On paper they're great and the value definitely there. But then when I actually drive them I've never been all that impressed. I was looking at the old 5.0 G80, for example, and I really didn't like it at all. The seats were awful and while the engine had some decent punch for a luxury sedan, it wasn't fun to drive at all. I'd much rather have gone with a 3-series or 5-series sedan even if it meant a bit more money except those weren't very fun to drive either. Eventually I decided to be sensible than a used luxury sedan, particularly since none of them really impressed me that much.

The $37,000 is for the GT, basically N-Line. Doesn't really compete with either the A4 or the S4, slots in between. The S4 starts at $50k and runs into the mid $60k range. So yeah, in an indirect comparison $40k is a lot cheaper than $60,000. You do get less but maybe not all that much less 290 HP/310 torque vs 350/370 in the S4. Definitely less, but 290/310 are respectable numbers. Not up there with an S4 or M340 but then it's much less expensive as well and not intended to compete with them.

Last edited by Malloric; 08-09-2020 at 02:51 PM..

Old 08-09-2020, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Yes, a base model. A top of trim A4 will run into the middle $50k range. At the end of the day it's still a 2.0 four banger that's $50,000. Ouch. I've never been a huge fan of Hyundai/Kia. On paper they're great and the value definitely there. But then when I actually drive them I've never been all that impressed. I was looking at the old 5.0 G80, for example, and I really didn't like it at all. The seats were awful and while the engine had some decent punch for a luxury sedan, it wasn't fun to drive at all. I'd much rather have gone with a 3-series or 5-series sedan even if it meant a bit more money except those weren't very fun to drive either. Eventually I decided to be sensible than a used luxury sedan, particularly since none of them really impressed me that much.
of course a base model, but that's besides the point. when your economy car gets into luxury car territory, you're playing in the wrong arena. I decided to get a used lexus. it performs decently, and is pretty reliable. most importantly, it's comfortable to drive on the highway.

Old 08-09-2020, 03:21 PM

21,827 posts, read 25,102,289 times
Quote:
of course a base model, but that's besides the point. when your economy car gets into luxury car territory, you're playing in the wrong arena. I decided to get a used lexus. it performs decently, and is pretty reliable. most importantly, it's comfortable to drive on the highway.
Not really. To some people the badge is really very, very important. They'll never look at a $38k Kia because it's a $38k Kia and for $38k you can get a BMW, Mercedes, or Lexus. Will Kia sell a lot of K5 GTs? No, probably not. The average person buying a Kia Optima is going to pick something from the LX to EX range, which is $24,500 to $29,000. EX Premium with a few useful accessories (trunk light, homelink) is $33,000. That's the most most people will pay. They're not going to get the GT and then tick all the option boxes which is under $38,000 for a bunch of stuff nobody ever buys like paint protection and puddle lamps. Not like you can get much for $38,000 from a BMW. Base model 2-series coupe with no options is $37,000.

I mean, for a certain buyer that's what matters. The $37,000 BMW has a BMW badge and that's what they're buying.

Old 08-15-2020, 05:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Not really. To some people the badge is really very, very important. They'll never look at a $38k Kia because it's a $38k Kia and for $38k you can get a BMW, Mercedes, or Lexus. Will Kia sell a lot of K5 GTs? No, probably not. The average person buying a Kia Optima is going to pick something from the LX to EX range, which is $24,500 to $29,000. EX Premium with a few useful accessories (trunk light, homelink) is $33,000. That's the most most people will pay. They're not going to get the GT and then tick all the option boxes which is under $38,000 for a bunch of stuff nobody ever buys like paint protection and puddle lamps. Not like you can get much for $38,000 from a BMW. Base model 2-series coupe with no options is $37,000.

I mean, for a certain buyer that's what matters. The $37,000 BMW has a BMW badge and that's what they're buying.
I would rather stick with the accord or camary if shopping in this segment. korean cars are really only good deals when used. let them depreciate for a year or two and then buy one up and hope the engine lasts for a few years.

Old 09-12-2020, 02:35 PM

518 posts, read 400,523 times
Quote:
I would rather stick with the accord or camary if shopping in this segment. korean cars are really only good deals when used. let them depreciate for a year or two and then buy one up and hope the engine lasts for a few years.
Just looking up some of the specs. The Camry has more power with their 2.5I4 (missing turbos) than the K5 has with their 1.6T. I don't what anyone says, 180HP for a $30K KIA is not enough power.....even the Camry V6 makes more than the GT K5....and the Camry still has better fuel economy

Quote:
korean cars are really only good deals when used. .
I disagree, if you can get a mighty discount on a Korean car...they are worth getting...the huge discount on my Elantra make it worthwhile

Old 11-03-2020, 12:20 PM

9,110 posts, read 6,155,520 times
I had a fully loaded KIA Optima SX. It wasn't cheap, but people always mistook it for a Lexus, which certainly wasn't in my price range. I always feel you get good value in a KIA. Lots of options (if you want to spend more money) that are useful and elevate the car.

Always love those power folding outside mirrors.

And the KIA has style. The Audi A4 is boring.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Hyundai and Kia