Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Hyundai and Kia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2020, 03:07 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,584,054 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
That do should, for the most part, be did. Because that issue is largely gone post-2015 and even 2013-14 models were less afflicted. It was mainly 2011-12.

The bulk of the problems on 2016s and newer were caused by that flawed and misguided campaign 953 "upgrade". Wise and informed customers don't allow that anywhere near their cars and should enjoy a long engine life if they meticulously maintain oil levels and normal maintenance.
'13 and '14 are just as likely to fail as '11 and '12, there is nothing different other than the cleaning method at the factory. The whole metal debris story was false though, that is not what was causing the problems.

The Sonata started using the "updated" Theta II in 2015, and I have noticed a couple of those blowing some blue smoke from the tailpipe, so I don't know if they're any better or not. Oddly enough, the Optima didn't get the revised engine until 2016.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2020, 03:58 PM

12,350 posts, read 9,714,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
'13 and '14 are just as likely to fail as '11 and '12, there is nothing different other than the cleaning method at the factory. The whole metal debris story was false though, that is not what was causing the problems.

The Sonata started using the "updated" Theta II in 2015, and I have noticed a couple of those blowing some blue smoke from the tailpipe, so I don't know if they're any better or not. Oddly enough, the Optima didn't get the revised engine until 2016.
When you make a claim like that, you need to explain/elaborate in detail. Otherwise it is just more misinformation. I've seen no other sources making this claim.

NHTSA complaints are sharply down for 2014, so that calls into question your "just as likely" claim.

The techs at my local Hyundai dealer tell me that every single Theta II they have had to replace was destroyed by the owner letting it run out of oil. I'm not saying I buy that 100%, but I don't doubt that covers many cases.

So it uses a little oil? So what? - lots of engines do. In 53 years of driving, I don't recall ever having a car that didn't use a little oil in several thousand miles. Meticulously keeping track of oil levels is instinctive with me, so I have no worries about any calamity caused by that.

At 15,000 miles mine uses maybe 1/3 - at most 1/2 - of a quart in 5000 miles. I'm not at all worried. If it starts using more, like my '58 Fairlane did, like my '71 Bonneville did, like my '72 Skylark did, like my '78 Delta did, like my '95 Crown Vic did (not a complete list), I'll simply add oil as needed.

Old 02-19-2020, 04:40 PM

2,022 posts, read 1,737,314 times
As an owner of two Hyundai Suvs I read and post occasionally on the dedicated forum.

There was a post about a guy who got a new engine at 130 K miles. Others post they had to pay the labor but not for the engine itself. These vehicles had over 100K miles on them. With 9 K miles on my beloved Kona turbo I'm not worried.

Old 02-19-2020, 06:32 PM

Quote:
When you make a claim like that, you need to explain/elaborate in detail. Otherwise it is just more misinformation. I've seen no other sources making this claim.

NHTSA complaints are sharply down for 2014, so that calls into question your "just as likely" claim.

The techs at my local Hyundai dealer tell me that every single Theta II they have had to replace was destroyed by the owner letting it run out of oil. I'm not saying I buy that 100%, but I don't doubt that covers many cases.

So it uses a little oil? So what? - lots of engines do. In 53 years of driving, I don't recall ever having a car that didn't use a little oil in several thousand miles. Meticulously keeping track of oil levels is instinctive with me, so I have no worries about any calamity caused by that.

At 15,000 miles mine uses maybe 1/3 - at most 1/2 - of a quart in 5000 miles. I'm not at all worried. If it starts using more, like my '58 Fairlane did, like my '71 Bonneville did, like my '72 Skylark did, like my '78 Delta did, like my '95 Crown Vic did (not a complete list), I'll simply add oil as needed.
I have followed the issue for the last 7 years, and I know a couple of people who work at HMA. They changed to a wet blast cleaning method rather than using compressed air halfway through the 2012 model year, and they thought that would solve the issue, but it did not. That's why the initial recall was only for 11 and 12 models, and then they had to expand it.

And I agree, there are plenty of engines that still burn oil nowadays. GM's 2.4 engine they used in the Equinox and Terrain had serious issues with that as well.

Old 02-20-2020, 05:26 AM

Quote:
I have followed the issue for the last 7 years, and I know a couple of people who work at HMA. They changed to a wet blast cleaning method rather than using compressed air halfway through the 2012 model year, and they thought that would solve the issue, but it did not. That's why the initial recall was only for 11 and 12 models, and then they had to expand it.

And I agree, there are plenty of engines that still burn oil nowadays. GM's 2.4 engine they used in the Equinox and Terrain had serious issues with that as well.
You stated
Quote:
The whole metal debris story was false though, that is not what was causing the problems.
What was causing the problems?

Old 02-20-2020, 08:28 AM

Quote:
You stated What was causing the problems?
Hyundai isn’t going to say, but one theory is that the piston rods get slightly deformed over time, leading to uneven wear on the bearings. As far as piston ring wear, there has been some issues with the oil control rings getting gummed up.

Old 02-21-2020, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Hyundai isn’t going to say, but one theory is that the piston rods get slightly deformed over time, leading to uneven wear on the bearings. As far as piston ring wear, there has been some issues with the oil control rings getting gummed up.
As a former Honda tech I think the above could be true. I always thought it was a design weakness
If the problem had been the mistakes made during the cleaning process of the engine block the correction would have come much sooner. Undersized connecting rods are plausible, or engine oil passages either too narrow, or getting restricted due to poor maintenance. Undersized rod and main bearings also a possibility.

Last edited by mgforshort; 02-21-2020 at 05:05 PM..

Old 02-22-2020, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgforshort View Post
As an owner of two Hyundai Suvs I read and post occasionally on the dedicated forum.

There was a post about a guy who got a new engine at 130 K miles. Others post they had to pay the labor but not for the engine itself. These vehicles had over 100K miles on them. With 9 K miles on my beloved Kona turbo I'm not worried.
Quote:
As a former Honda tech I think the above could be true. I always thought it was a design weakness
If the problem had been the mistakes made during the cleaning process of the engine block the correction would have come much sooner. Undersized connecting rods are plausible, or engine oil passages either too narrow, or getting restricted due to poor maintenance. Undersized rod and main bearings also a possibility.
So you think it is a design weakness and yet you own two Hyundai Suvs? And, did something you learned as a former Honda tech push you away from Honda and toward Hyundai?

I agree that Hyundai is sending mixed signals with it's continuing push for the campaign 953 "upgrade" on later models, but real world failures do seem to be way down from 2011-2012 levels. At least, real world failures not caused by that bogus campaign 953. Maybe, in the absence of hard evidence otherwise, their manufacturing process explanation contains some truth?

Old 02-22-2020, 05:29 PM

Quote:
So you think it is a design weakness and yet you own two Hyundai Suvs? And, did something you learned as a former Honda tech push you away from Honda and toward Hyundai?

I agree that Hyundai is sending mixed signals with it's continuing push for the campaign 953 "upgrade" on later models, but real world failures do seem to be way down from 2011-2012 levels. At least, real world failures not caused by that bogus campaign 953. Maybe, in the absence of hard evidence otherwise, their manufacturing process explanation contains some truth?
I think it was / is a design weakness, but with a 10-year 100K miles warranty I'm not worried.

I was a Honda tech and after 22 years of doing it I'd have difficulty naming a single major component which didn't fail routinely on Hondas between 1978 and 2000, the last year before I left the trade. Such as head gaskets, piston rings, exhaust manifolds, transmissions, fuel pumps and relays, ignition switches, water pumps, timing belts, brake and clutch master and slave cylinders, igniters, power steering racks, A/C compressors, radiators, and I won't even bring up the body parts here.

My opinion is, and take it with a grain of salt, is that Honda and Toyota both are riding the tail of their stellar reputation. But the fire in their belly, which was evident in the seventies and beyond, has gone out.

The Koreans, on the other hand, are hungry and greedy. They are willing to try new things and sometime they fail, sometimes they win, but they are relentless in their aspiration.

Anecdote: we always had Sony TVs until the last two developed problems. After that we bought Samsungs and LGs and I couldn't be more happy.

Old 02-22-2020, 05:56 PM

5,451 posts, read 6,038,907 times
Quote:
I think it was / is a design weakness, but with a 10-year 100K miles warranty I'm not worried.

I was a Honda tech and after 22 years of doing it I'd have difficulty naming a single major component which didn't fail routinely on Hondas between 1978 and 2000, the last year before I left the trade. Such as head gaskets, piston rings, exhaust manifolds, transmissions, fuel pumps and relays, ignition switches, water pumps, timing belts, brake and clutch master and slave cylinders, igniters, power steering racks, A/C compressors, radiators, and I won't even bring up the body parts here.

My opinion is, and take it with a grain of salt, is that Honda and Toyota both are riding the tail of their stellar reputation. But the fire in their belly, which was evident in the seventies and beyond, has gone out.

The Koreans, on the other hand, are hungry and greedy. They are willing to try new things and sometime they fail, sometimes they win, but they are relentless in their aspiration.

Anecdote: we always had Sony TVs until the last two developed problems. After that we bought Samsungs and LGs and I couldn't be more happy.
I'm a Vizio man!!!!!!! lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Hyundai and Kia