Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Hyundai and Kia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2020, 02:52 PM

17,620 posts, read 17,674,997 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwatted Wabbit View Post
The field is getting crowded. Venue is a wee bit smaller, there's also the Seltos and Niro at the KIA store.

Venue, Kona, and Elantra GT at the Hyundai store.

Sales go up, sales go down. Go fish at Autotrader for deals. Or look for new 2019 or 2018 and you'll see a base automatic for 15-ish on up. That's advertised price.
Venue has the smaller and weaker engine without a big difference in fuel economy. The Kona is nice but is more of an SUV than the Soul. Elantra GT would be my choice but my next vehicle will have to sit higher for my wife with mobility issues. To me the Soul and Venue are closer in category than the others you listed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2020, 02:57 PM

3,573 posts, read 2,882,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
Venue has the smaller and weaker engine without a big difference in fuel economy. The Kona is nice but is more of an SUV than the Soul. Elantra GT would be my choice but my next vehicle will have to sit higher for my wife with mobility issues. To me the Soul and Venue are closer in category than the others you listed.
I was interested in the Elantra GT but the Soul won the buy by it's easy access and egress.

Old 01-30-2020, 04:09 AM

17,620 posts, read 17,674,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sockeye66 View Post
I was interested in the Elantra GT but the Soul won the buy by it's easy access and egress.
Yesterday my wife’s Kona was parked next to a Soul. Visually the Soul appeared to be the bigger of the two vehicles with a higher and wider roofline. My next vehicle will take my wife’s mobility into my decision. I like the Elantra but my wife has trouble exiting my car. She has to use the Car Cane to help her up and out. I love her more than I love a machine.

Old 01-30-2020, 09:34 AM

9,419 posts, read 11,166,375 times
Quote:
Agree with all that. I was just casting a wide net while staying this side of the Sportage and Tucson.

Quote:
Yesterday my wife’s Kona was parked next to a Soul. Visually the Soul appeared to be the bigger of the two vehicles with a higher and wider roofline. My next vehicle will take my wife’s mobility into my decision. I like the Elantra but my wife has trouble exiting my car. She has to use the Car Cane to help her up and out. I love her more than I love a machine.
Amen. Any day.

Old 01-30-2020, 09:49 AM

8,498 posts, read 4,741,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimAZ View Post
IMO the styling is off, especially the front grille.
It’s been off since day one. Not as ugly as some of its fellow (and now-dead) toastermobiles like the Scion xB and Nissan Cube, but...I don’t know how this thing got good sales to begin with. That whole genre makes sense in Japan the way they tax automobiles (I don’t know how Korea taxes cars), but here that whole box car genre is just an eyesore.

Old 01-30-2020, 10:18 AM

19,033 posts, read 27,599,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioNative View Post
I have a 2020 Soul and love it, including the front styling, but I have to admit that the styling of the back end is not that great. I’m not a big fan of the tail light that encircles the back window.

Well, to start with, tail lights looked like phone handles.
Then, name itself is very steep for a car. Add to it Angel, for example, as another model..
KS was one of those cars that always puzzled me, how something that, pretty much, looks like an iron, can become so popular.

Old 01-30-2020, 12:53 PM

3,573 posts, read 2,882,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcp123 View Post
It’s been off since day one. Not as ugly as some of its fellow (and now-dead) toastermobiles like the Scion xB and Nissan Cube, but...I don’t know how this thing got good sales to begin with. That whole genre makes sense in Japan the way they tax automobiles (I don’t know how Korea taxes cars), but here that whole box car genre is just an eyesore.
For me it's not about the styling, it's about the function. I wish Honda had kept the Element going, would have considered that option. I did look into the used market and they re-sale for a shockingly high price here in the Seattle area.

We agree on the Nissan Cube, that was the ugliest, the scion was okay at first but got uglier over time.

Old 01-30-2020, 02:27 PM

9,419 posts, read 11,166,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 45needshung View Post
Seeing a Kia Soul in my area is like hens teeth. Maybe people are finally realizing that they are poorly made for the long term. Anything can look great new once. Putting it through the paces for a decade is a true test.
I see many 1st gen Souls around here. But if it's all bimmahs and mercs where you live, that's good too. I've had three Souls and they were/are trouble-free. I can't say the same for a couple of GM and Chrysler products.

That said, I was ALWAYS a sedan guy. I NEVER thought I'd be driving a storage container.
But I drove a couple, then I had one as a rental. Great car, very handy, hauls stuff. Doesn't complain. Loves animals.

It's a quick handler, great brakes, good view out, ++ reliability, quick enough 99% of the time. Utterly reliable. Comfortable for around town or cross country.

The hamster ads were what set this one apart. KIA had great ads for a long time. Now they seem to have decided to join the mediocrity crowd.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
Well, to start with, tail lights looked like phone handles.
Then, name itself is very steep for a car. Add to it Angel, for example, as another model..
KS was one of those cars that always puzzled me, how something that, pretty much, looks like an iron, can become so popular.

To each his own. I don't begrudge others what they drive. Unless they're blowing oil smoke at me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sockeye66 View Post
For me it's not about the styling, it's about the function. I wish Honda had kept the Element going, would have considered that option. I did look into the used market and they re-sale for a shockingly high price here in the Seattle area.

We agree on the Nissan Cube, that was the ugliest, the scion was okay at first but got uglier over time.
Yup.

Old 01-30-2020, 05:29 PM

7,940 posts, read 9,497,233 times
I love her more than I love a machine.

Yes, I totally agree. And when my wife said she wouldn't be able to ingress and egress a 2016-2019 Ford Fiesta ST, I kept listening. She said she loves Kia Soul's. I said, OK, let's get us a brand new 2020 Kia Soul. I want the base model LX that has the 6-speed stick and Android Auto. It's engine is more powerful than our 2011 Kia Soul base 5-speeds. No more 1.6L I-4, now a 2.0L I-4 with 147hp and 132 ft-pounds of torque.

Watch this YouTube video - he goes over the power and really good handling aspect of the 2020 Kia Soul.

https://youtu.be/OYKJNmjlocY

2020 Kia Soul in Cherry Black

Old 01-31-2020, 05:09 AM

5,457 posts, read 6,049,852 times
Quote:

To depart slightly from the Soul sales topic, thinking strictly from a mobility standpoint for your wife, my son (no mobility issues) recently went from an Elantra (2013) to a Subaru Crosstrek (2020). One of the first things he mentioned was the additional ground clearance and sitting "up off the road" feel of the Crosstrek. He said going from about 5 inches to almost 9 inches of ground clearance really made a difference getting in and out of the car. He claims the benefits made up for the reduced fuel economy of the AWD in the Subaru. I think he said he went from about 31 / 36 MPG in the Elantra to 29 / 33 in the Crosstrek.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Hyundai and Kia