Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Hyundai and Kia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2019, 10:53 PM

12,908 posts, read 27,980,195 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dax13 View Post
Yes, I am aware of the warranty, however I am also aware of the failure rates at far less mileage and the cost of a replacement if the warranty is expired or otherwise voided. Think I'll wait to see if KIA has re-invented the wheel. And let's face it, the Soul isn't phenomenal in gas mileage to begin with, but the savings with a CVT isn't worth it to me. I am one of those people who does keep a car for a long time. The KIA replaced a 97 Ranger that I bought brand new, and my second vehicle is a 97 Mitsubishi ( also bought new) that still gives me 40 mph. Before the KIA, I hadn't been a member of "the book of the month" club since before the turn of the century. 🤣

Dax
30mpg for driving a box is great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2019, 06:41 PM

529 posts, read 1,173,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by airics View Post
30mpg for driving a box is great.
Fair enough. I just did a 5300 mile road trip in a rented 2019 GMC Terrain SLT with an 8 speed automatic. Great ride, all the bells and whistles. Strolled right along at 5-10 mph over speed limits ranging from 65-85, handled mountains just fine, but Holy BatCr*p, don’t try to pass anything. I’d punch it and you would have thought I filled the tank with liquid Qualudes. Took forever to decide to downshift appropriately. Even my son was surprised at the lag. Made me really appreciate my spunky little 2016 Soul+. I actually looked through the owner’s manual to make sure it wasn’t a CVT. I would have taken the KIA but I got a killer rate on the rental. Oh, and the MPG overall was actually comparable to what I get in the KIA over comparable conditions.

Dax

Old 07-03-2019, 07:07 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,571,506 times
Quote:
Fair enough. I just did a 5300 mile road trip in a rented 2019 GMC Terrain SLT with an 8 speed automatic. Great ride, all the bells and whistles. Strolled right along at 5-10 mph over speed limits ranging from 65-85, handled mountains just fine, but Holy BatCr*p, don’t try to pass anything. I’d punch it and you would have thought I filled the tank with liquid Qualudes. Took forever to decide to downshift appropriately. Even my son was surprised at the lag. Made me really appreciate my spunky little 2016 Soul+. I actually looked through the owner’s manual to make sure it wasn’t a CVT. I would have taken the KIA but I got a killer rate on the rental. Oh, and the MPG overall was actually comparable to what I get in the KIA over comparable conditions.

Dax
There have been a lot of complaints about delayed downshifts with GM automatics. It’s just the way they have them programmed.

Old 07-04-2019, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
There have been a lot of complaints about delayed downshifts with GM automatics. It’s just the way they have them programmed.
I don’t doubt that for a minute. After the first two times of having to back out of an attempt to pass, I gave up. If the vehicle in front of me had a live driver and it was a two-lane road, I just hung back and took in the scenery. If you’ve ever had to get on the freeway in metropolitan Texas, utilizing a very short ramp from an access road, you’ll need a change of underwear. (Or an undertaker)

Anyway, glad to be back in the HamsterMobile.

Dax

Old 07-09-2019, 01:01 PM

9,398 posts, read 11,147,212 times
Quote:
I don’t doubt that for a minute. After the first two times of having to back out of an attempt to pass, I gave up. If the vehicle in front of me had a live driver and it was a two-lane road, I just hung back and took in the scenery. If you’ve ever had to get on the freeway in metropolitan Texas, utilizing a very short ramp from an access road, you’ll need a change of underwear. (Or an undertaker)

Anyway, glad to be back in the HamsterMobile.

Dax
Isn't there a manual control where you can kick it down before you need it?

Old 07-09-2019, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwatted Wabbit View Post
Isn't there a manual control where you can kick it down before you need it?
Yes, but I wasn’t comfortable enough to play games with an uncooperative and baffling tranny. Now if I had clutch pedal to mash and a real stick to throw, it might have been a different story. I don’t trust push/pull buttons paired with an auto transmission that is programmed by some outsourced dude Mod cut.

And to think I used to think electrical shorts and vacuum leaks were a PIA.

Dax

Last edited by PJSaturn; 07-09-2019 at 10:19 PM.. Reason: Rude; racist comment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Hyundai and Kia