Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Hyundai and Kia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2019, 01:54 PM

105 posts, read 71,975 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
They are trying to keep their reputation from being ruined... again.

They are realizing the engine problems are occurring in later model years than they originally thought. At first they thought it was just 2011-2012 models due to manufacturing debris left in the engine, so they changed the cleaning process in late 2012. They told 2013+ owners the problem was fixed and that they had nothing to worry about, then the 13’+ models started seizing as well so they extended the warranty to the ‘13-‘14 models. At this time they told ‘15+ owners they had nothing to worry about, and now I see they extended the warranty on those too. They’re just kicking the can down the road.

Maybe that class action lawsuit taught them a lesson. We’ll see.
The 2015 is a pretty hefty re-design of the engine. The failure numbers for 2015+ are almost non-existent, except the SUVs, which didn't get the re-designed engine until 2016. My guess is they extended the coverage out of an abundance of caution.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2019, 03:19 PM

12,350 posts, read 9,735,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smc733 View Post
The 2015 is a pretty hefty re-design of the engine. The failure numbers for 2015+ are almost non-existent, except the SUVs, which didn't get the re-designed engine until 2016. My guess is they extended the coverage out of an abundance of caution.
I had not heard anything about a 2015 re-design and a quick Google search yields nothing about it. Can you document this with a link?

There are 198 engine complaints reported to the NHTSA listed on carcomplaints.com for the 2015 Sonata alone.

Old 09-28-2019, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
I had not heard anything about a 2015 re-design and a quick Google search yields nothing about it. Can you document this with a link?

There are 198 engine complaints reported to the NHTSA listed on carcomplaints.com for the 2015 Sonata alone.
I'll do digging when I have time, but it's a different part number. There's a thread on Hyundai-forums where this was confirmed. You'll notice the 2015+ Sonata (which was a platform revision) has 15 less HP and a more smooth torque curve. There were a number of internal refinements to the engine, hence the new part number.

198 complaints for the 2015 is drastically lower than the numbers for the 2011-2014, and most of them appear to not be catastrophic failures, but rather other assorted issues.

Old 09-28-2019, 09:08 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,668,273 times
Quote:
Well, Hyundai won’t even come out and admit what the problem is (other than the bs metal debris claim), so how do we know if it has been fixed?

Old 09-28-2019, 09:26 PM

1,977 posts, read 6,871,862 times
Quote:
I'll do digging when I have time, but it's a different part number. There's a thread on Hyundai-forums where this was confirmed. You'll notice the 2015+ Sonata (which was a platform revision) has 15 less HP and a more smooth torque curve. There were a number of internal refinements to the engine, hence the new part number.

198 complaints for the 2015 is drastically lower than the numbers for the 2011-2014, and most of them appear to not be catastrophic failures, but rather other assorted issues.

Yes, out of the 200+ pages of one thread on the Hyundai forum, there is a guy who rebuilds these engines and has posted pics and measurements on the newer engines that have stronger rods and the oil passages are larger. Now how much that will help is still unknown as these engines have to accumulate miles.

Old 09-29-2019, 04:27 AM

Quote:

Really? 2014 lists 110 complaints with a year more to accumulate. Even worst year 2011, with 728, is not drastically higher considering 4 more years of history compared to the 2015s.

The point is that both numbers are alarmingly high for complaints centered around the same problem with these engines.

Now they're adding insult to injury by putting new cars out of commission with the campaign 953 "update". If it ain't broke, don't worry, we've found a new way to break it.

Old 09-29-2019, 07:41 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,668,273 times
Quote:

Now they're adding insult to injury by putting new cars out of commission with the campaign 953 "update". If it ain't broke, don't worry, we've found a new way to break it.
The update is supposed to put it into limp mode if it detects a slight amount of knocking, whereas before you got no warning if you couldn’t actually hear it. I think Hyundai is worried someone may eventually be killed when their engine seizes in a busy intersection or something.

Old 09-29-2019, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Well, Hyundai won’t even come out and admit what the problem is (other than the bs metal debris claim), so how do we know if it has been fixed?
On Hyundai-forums, there's also some detail from a master tech about the reivsions. Pretty much each year from 2011 to 2015 had some type of internal revisions to sort out the issue. By 2013 the failures are less common than 11-12, so something was done to at least improve the issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00molavi View Post
Yes, out of the 200+ pages of one thread on the Hyundai forum, there is a guy who rebuilds these engines and has posted pics and measurements on the newer engines that have stronger rods and the oil passages are larger. Now how much that will help is still unknown as these engines have to accumulate miles.
Exactly that. Still a toss-up, and I wouldn't buy one based on that, but there is reaon to believe the issue is less bad on newer motors.

Quote:
Really? 2014 lists 110 complaints with a year more to accumulate. Even worst year 2011, with 728, is not drastically higher considering 4 more years of history compared to the 2015s.

The point is that both numbers are alarmingly high for complaints centered around the same problem with these engines.

Look at 2016 and 2017, both of which have much lower levels of complaints. 2016s have been out long enough that they should be having many more reports if the issue was the same. Released in 2015, those cars have been on the road for 4 years now. I'd guess some of the 2015 issues are related to the first year of the design modification, but many of those complaints are not for complete engine failures.

There's also been extensive study of the Hyundai OEM oil filter on "bobistheoilguy". It has a much lower filtering level than most aftermarkets, but a lot higher flow. I suspect that people not using OEM oil filters may be contributing to the issue as well.

Old 09-29-2019, 08:02 AM

Quote:
The update is supposed to put it into limp mode if it detects a slight amount of knocking, whereas before you got no warning if you couldn’t actually hear it. I think Hyundai is worried someone may eventually be killed when their engine seizes in a busy intersection or something.
Yes, it's clearly being done to (they think) abate their own liability. But how many cars have seized in an instant with no warning? I'm putting aside the poor cars owned by idiots who never check their oil. I think the answer is next to none, so there is no doubt in my mind that this "update" is of no benefit to me and could potentially render my car useless and under Hyundai's control - not mine.

I think many, perhaps most, of the crippled newer cars could have/would run 10s of thousands more trouble-free miles. I can't imagine a more effective way to call into question a brand's engine reliability than with what Hyundai has done with this campaign 953.

Old 09-29-2019, 08:17 AM

Quote:
On Hyundai-forums, there's also some detail from a master tech about the reivsions. Pretty much each year from 2011 to 2015 had some type of internal revisions to sort out the issue. By 2013 the failures are less common than 11-12, so something was done to at least improve the issue.

Exactly that. Still a toss-up, and I wouldn't buy one based on that, but there is reaon to believe the issue is less bad on newer motors.

Look at 2016 and 2017, both of which have much lower levels of complaints. 2016s have been out long enough that they should be having many more reports if the issue was the same. Released in 2015, those cars have been on the road for 4 years now. I'd guess some of the 2015 issues are related to the first year of the design modification, but many of those complaints are not for complete engine failures.

There's also been extensive study of the Hyundai OEM oil filter on "bobistheoilguy". It has a much lower filtering level than most aftermarkets, but a lot higher flow. I suspect that people not using OEM oil filters may be contributing to the issue as well.
I have no idea why are you trying so hard to spin this, but it doesn't matter. There is more than enough information out there now to make any informed consumer run from any car with this engine series.

I just wish I knew all of this in June of 2017.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Hyundai and Kia