Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Hyundai and Kia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2018, 08:08 AM

166 posts, read 170,725 times

Advertisements

Which one you prefer - the electric or the standard? I am 5.41 ft tall and went inside the electric one 2 weeks ago and had no problem adjusting the seat to my body. But we are all different. Do the test drive and decide - i mean your wife.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2018, 09:09 AM

1,465 posts, read 1,082,490 times
The new Toyota Corolla hatchback, sold as the Auris in Europe, will be the one to beat in this class. It'll be coming to the US in Summer and will have a 6 speed manual transmission. Sounds like a winner to me!

Old 04-02-2018, 06:26 PM

2,022 posts, read 1,737,314 times
Finally today we had a test drive. Front-wheel drive Kona SEL with the non turbo 2.0 L and 6-speed automatic. The Chico dealer didn't have a Limited or Ultimate.
I'm comparing it to our 8 year old, 2010 Kia Soul.
The dimensions are almost the same. The engine, horsepower and torque are nearly identical. Suspension is similar, rear torsion bars. The Kona has a 6-speed against the Soul's 4-speed, both torque converter automatics.
Having said that, I was pleasantly surprised. Side by side, the Soul feels like a little old truck, while the Kona is like an overgrown Mini Cooper. Smoother, quicker, more fun. With three people aboard, me, my wife, and the sales man the car was peppy and responsive, but there isn't much of a chance for speeding in Chico with the low speed limits and narrow streets. I didn't desire for a stronger engine, then again, on an open freeway it would be different.
I am 180 lbs, 5'10, and I had the driver seat all the way back to be comfortable. The manual seat is much better in the Kona. After the test drive when the salesman got out I sat in the back and I was fine.
I missed that there are no AC vents for the rear passengers; the Soul doesn't have any either.
Compared to our 2015 Santa Fe Sport turbo, the Kona felt much more nimble and easier to drive in tight spots and parking lots. Definitely more sporty if someone likes that; I do. The rear camera display is bigger; the Soul doesn't have one, 2010 Kia.
I was concerned with the rear suspension, but it is more pleasant than the 8-year old Kia. The Koreans learned a lot since 2010.
I was in sport mode all the time, and used the snifter occasionally. No complaints.
My plan is to get the turbo if I can live with the DCT transmission; that will take a much longer test drive.
On the other hand, if the turbo wasn't calling my inner hoodlum, I'd take the Kona SEL in a minute and be happy with it.
The car looks better than the pictures, with most cars the opposite is true.
On the SEL the AC and radio controls were super easy, I think the Limited might be more complex.
In summary, I think the Kona is a perfect vehicle for two people with a small child or with a dog.

Old 04-03-2018, 12:00 PM

1,465 posts, read 1,082,490 times
The 2018 Soul now offers the base model with the ability to purchase more options than before. Makes a difference to those of us who like a stick shift in a car but also want a couple of the newer options like rear view camera, larger infotainment screen etc.

Old 04-05-2018, 01:42 AM

17,302 posts, read 12,236,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlguy44 View Post
The 2018 Soul now offers the base model with the ability to purchase more options than before. Makes a difference to those of us who like a stick shift in a car but also want a couple of the newer options like rear view camera, larger infotainment screen etc.
That’s one of the nicely surprising things about Kia. These days it is one of the few manufacturers where you can get the top trim model with a manual.

Old 04-05-2018, 01:59 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,284,151 times
In case any one is wondering = https://www.google.ca/search?q=hyund...w=1098&bih=512
As for the Kia Soul i just bought one and that automatic tranny has the ability to shift manually with no clutch.

Old 05-05-2018, 06:20 PM

If anyone is still reading this thread, we bought a Kona Limited, front wheel drive. Paid $ 26,300 out the door, or $ 24,000 plus tax and DMV. $ 1,800 below MSRP.
The Kona with the turbo and DCT is a fun, quick, nimble car. Much better handling than the Kia Soul or the Santa FE Sport. My old Kia Soul and the current 2015 Santa Fe Sport turbo both feel like driving a bus when comparing them to the Kona.
The only car I liked so much (or better) was the 2007 VW GTI.
Our combined gas mileage is 35 mpg by the computer, I assume the real figure is probably 2-3 mpg less.
Inside space is about 15% less than the Soul. We can carry another couple on a day trip and they'll be relatively comfortable, albeit with only a limited amount of luggage.

Old 07-21-2018, 05:30 PM

Here is a brief update on the 2018 Kona Limited FWD, 1.6 turbo engine and 7-speed DCT automatic transmission.

After 10 weeks I really enjoy driving the Kona. Not a single problem so far. My only wish is that the gear ratios would be better, for example, going downhill at 60 mph in top gear, the engine rpm is 1,800. I think, at that speed, 1,300 or 1,500 rpm would work, the engine has plenty of torque.

Our computer shows 33.3 overall mpg. After several fill ups, my calculated (true mpg ) is 30. This means the computer is 10% over the real thing.

We live in a small mountain town with no traffic. About half of our trips are 30-35 miles round trip. The other half is 4-7 miles round trip. I believe with more long drives our mileage would be better.

Some owners on the dedicated Kona forum report gas mileage in the upper thirties.
Then again, your mileage might vary.

Old 01-18-2019, 10:40 AM

650 posts, read 774,559 times
Anyone bought kona ultimate 2019? How does it compare to Mazda cx3 , Lexus UX ?

Old 01-19-2019, 06:17 PM

We have a Kona Limited FWD and it runs circles around the other two.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Hyundai and Kia