Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Hyundai and Kia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-22-2018, 09:31 AM

17,669 posts, read 17,857,953 times

Advertisements

Debuted at the car show. Basic shape is the same. Changes include heads up display, base engine now the Elantra's 2.0L Atkinson cycle engine for better efficiency, four wheel independent suspension, and now the available N performance model which is a big step up from the 1.6L turbo with 201 HP. The N Performance model will have over 260 HP and performance suspension tuned in Germany.

Pluses include unique styling that isn't like any other vehicle on the road today, heads up display, and the debut of the Hyundai N Performance in USA.

Minuses include love or hate styling and the first two engines are already available in the Hyundai Elantra and Kia Forte with more seating room. Not sure about the prices. It's possible the base model 2.0L will be more expensive than the Elantra and Forte with the same powertrain because the Veloster will have four wheel independent suspension while the Forte and Elantra will have the torsion beam rear suspension. Step up to the 1.6L turbo in the Forte and Elantra and you get the same type suspension as the Veloster so I'm not sure on the cost difference. The N Performance package won't be available in neither the Forte nor the Elantra. It will absolutely be more expensive, but by how much is yet to be seen. The N Performance model is the one to shoot for. Looking forward to a comparison test between this model and the Focus and Civic sport models.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2018, 04:40 PM

8,379 posts, read 13,530,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
The N Performance package won't be available in neither the Forte nor the Elantra. It will absolutely be more expensive, but by how much is yet to be seen. The N Performance model is the one to shoot for. Looking forward to a comparison test between this model and the Focus and Civic sport models.
N peeked my interest and I would be in the market for one if they can keep the MSRP below $32K and where one can be had around $25K OTD.

I held off on my car shopping mainly due to waiting for the 2018 model GTIs. So, I have no problem extending the wait till the 2019 Velosters come out as it is the only other vehicle I would consider at this point.

Old 01-22-2018, 04:52 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,787,326 times
1st gen looks better IMO. I don’t care for that screen sticking out of the dash in the new one, I’d want to reach up there and break it off.

Old 01-23-2018, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
1st gen looks better IMO. I don’t care for that screen sticking out of the dash in the new one, I’d want to reach up there and break it off.
I agree but sadly, more and more makes and models are adapting that annoying design!
That was one of the most annoying things of Mazda 3. I liked the way 1st gen infotainment looked.
Not sure why they went with the annoying sticking out tablet look. Soooo bummed.

Old 02-18-2018, 02:46 PM

628 posts, read 847,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurcoLoco View Post
I agree but sadly, more and more makes and models are adapting that annoying design!
That was one of the most annoying things of Mazda 3. I liked the way 1st gen infotainment looked.
Not sure why they went with the annoying sticking out tablet look. Soooo bummed.
They want young people to buy it so thats why it has the tablet look because young people like tablets

Old 10-11-2018, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwh View Post
They want young people to buy it so thats why it has the tablet look because young people like tablets
Interesting connection you made because most younger folks, even working in IT are not that fond of tablets.
If it was folding/retracting, then it would have been OK but stuff sticking out like that is at the very least, esthetically not pleasing.

I may still get one if the rest of the vehicle is built and performed well. I have not yet test driven a 2019 model. I liked 2017 version, wasn't great but it was a decent car for the money. If I can get an R-Spec under $20K then I'd for sure.

I'd really like to read the candid feedback of those who currently own one. Even better if they owned/driven an older model and it they compared.

Old 10-11-2018, 05:17 PM

17,408 posts, read 12,368,997 times
I don't know about that stuck on tablet just being a young people thing. That's fairly common among luxury cars now as well. At least some of them retract away when not in use. But many are fixed.

Old 10-11-2018, 05:44 PM

1,982 posts, read 6,897,943 times
I have a 2016 Turbo stick shift. Saw the 2019 in the dealership last week when in for warranty work on our other car. I didn't really like the styling. It looks more like the Elantra hatchback, the rear door handle is also visible. Minor stuff, but I like the quirky looks of mine. Has started a lot of talks when outside in the parking lots/etc.

Old 10-11-2018, 05:50 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,787,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurcoLoco View Post
Interesting connection you made because most younger folks, even working in IT are not that fond of tablets.
If it was folding/retracting, then it would have been OK but stuff sticking out like that is at the very least, esthetically not pleasing.

I may still get one if the rest of the vehicle is built and performed well. I have not yet test driven a 2019 model. I liked 2017 version, wasn't great but it was a decent car for the money. If I can get an R-Spec under $20K then I'd for sure.

I'd really like to read the candid feedback of those who currently own one. Even better if they owned/driven an older model and it they compared.
It’s like a pimple that needs popping, and it would drive my OCD crazy.

Old 10-11-2018, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
I don't know about that stuck on tablet just being a young people thing. That's fairly common among luxury cars now as well. At least some of them retract away when not in use. But many are fixed.
Sad but true. There are more cars using that styling and most of the feedback to that is not positive from what I can see. Many cars still come with it being integrated in the dash as it should be which is why I am considering Civic Si and VW GTI as comparable alternatives.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00molavi View Post
I have a 2016 Turbo stick shift. Saw the 2019 in the dealership last week when in for warranty work on our other car. I didn't really like the styling. It looks more like the Elantra hatchback, the rear door handle is also visible. Minor stuff, but I like the quirky looks of mine. Has started a lot of talks when outside in the parking lots/etc.
I have to agree, in some way I like the new model but in some ways, mainly the rear end, I liked the older models better. 2019 Veloster supposedly has much better suspension and handling plus improvements on the interior which is why I became interested since I liked the way the older model drove already.

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
It’s like a pimple that needs popping, and it would drive my OCD crazy.
I hear ya!
I can totally see myself breaking it when cleaning the dash 'cause sometimes I am quite a bit like Wreck-it-Ralph! I break stuff without even realizing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Hyundai and Kia