Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Hyundai and Kia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2015, 05:16 PM

5,652 posts, read 6,997,999 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seafood Junky View Post
Typically Audio CD files sound better than MP3..

The other day I was on the road. Slipped in Quadrophenia (2 disc CD). That is some powerful music..
Yeah. As long as I still own CDs, I want that CD player. Especially if one has some jazz or classical in their mix along with the indie bands and The Who. Guess I'll keep buying used cars.

Just had a hellish 11-hour trip returning to Pittsburgh from CT. Had to go over the snow mess on a longer route along southern tier of NYS. Was streaming radio from Pittsburgh some of the trip... still plenty of dead spots out there. Cloud isn't quite ready from prime time as a sole source of mobile entertainment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2015, 05:18 PM

5,621 posts, read 5,948,506 times
Never thought about it but makes sense. Don't see many cassette players anymore...

Old 01-26-2015, 05:26 PM

2,081 posts, read 1,611,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Well, that's the Alex Jones version anyway. The real-world explanation is much simpler: Vanishingly few people use CDs any more. It's no different than when they started phasing out in-dash cassette players 15 or so years ago.

I use and enjoy CD's. I don't think it's right that we have to update music collections - and spend lots of $$ - every 10 or whatever years - I still have a good-sized collections of self-made tapes from the 80's and early 90's that I can't play. But there's nothing I can do about it, so I'll have to learn how to do MP3's or otherwise get the music on my CD's into a format I can play in future cars, if that's possible.

Old 01-26-2015, 05:32 PM

23,652 posts, read 14,055,678 times
Well, to each their own.

Me, if such electronics were the deciding point, then I wouldn't touch them with ten foot pole.

The F-250 has inputs for external electronics, but I've never touched that....which is why I can't tell you what they are. When I'm driving the truck, I put a long music CD, like Shania Twain and drive.

Why? Because the truck is too much of a beast to get involved in anything but driving it.

The Forester is 2002 and has a cassette system. I like cassettes because they are a one handed blind system. I don't need to give it too much attention to put one in, pull one out which means I don't take too much attention away from what I am suppose to be doing which is driving.

In a way, all these electronics reminds me of what my father said to the salesman when he was car shopping in the 70's. "I don't need all these switches overhead. They are there to let people imagine they were flying an airplane and I all ready do that.".

Old 01-26-2015, 05:54 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,310,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seafood Junky View Post
Typically Audio CD files sound better than MP3..

The other day I was on the road. Slipped in Quadrophenia (2 disc CD). That is some powerful music..
Even in a lossless uncompressed format, you can still fit about 75 standard-length albums on a 32GB USB drive. I'd rather have one USB drive than lug 75 CDs around.

Old 01-26-2015, 06:40 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,699,716 times
I have a CD collection from over the years, and yes, I still play them occasionally in my car. I dont care what anyone says, a CD has better sound quality than streaming music from a phone.

Old 01-26-2015, 08:48 PM

1,672 posts, read 1,253,793 times
I haven't used a CD in over 10 years... and before that, I just used one to copy music to my mp3 player.

Old 01-26-2015, 09:53 PM

5,994 posts, read 20,133,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
I have a CD collection from over the years, and yes, I still play them occasionally in my car. I dont care what anyone says, a CD has better sound quality than streaming music from a phone.
It depends. Music streamed via Bluetooth 3.0 in a quality digital format (FLAC, 320+ MP3, OGG, etc) is at least as good if not better. Music streamed from Pandora or cloud based players can be good but also fluctuates with signal quality. The quality of factory sound systems is usually the bottleneck when it comes to car audio.

Old 01-26-2015, 10:04 PM

2,444 posts, read 2,769,737 times
Unless you're talking high-end car audio systems, most aren't good enough to justify the moaning about sound quality. As long as you're using at least iTunes-quality MP3's, you'll be fine.

Old 01-26-2015, 11:55 PM

308 posts, read 500,004 times
There are some current Makes/ models that deleted CD player already...like the Dodge Ram
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Hyundai and Kia