Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Hyundai and Kia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2015, 09:38 AM

1,437 posts, read 3,776,758 times

Advertisements

My 1997 Mustang has a tape deck.

I've driven that car so long I missed an entire audio format. So umm yeah, I won't miss a CD player.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2015, 09:51 AM

9,130 posts, read 20,015,449 times
I remember my grandfather having an 8-track deck in his car.

I have a CD player, but rarely use it. Most of my music is on my phone now.

Old 01-27-2015, 09:52 AM

9,884 posts, read 10,977,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogarven View Post
Well, since we don't have smart phones or mp3 players, we will continue using our CD players on trips. I did enjoy the Sirus XM on a trip in the middle of the Mojave desert but that was still on trial with my daughters new car. Around town, I use the radio mostly as it is on the AM dial or in the afternoon, listening to NPR.
Same here. all you technophiles can have your smart phones, MP3 devices, SIM cards, etc.
I have my dumb phone, a cassette player/AM/FM stereo in the truck (someday I might scrounge the wrecking yards looking for the "premium" stereo that has both cassette and CD players); a AM/FM/cassette/6 CD player in the motorhome; and I'm not sure what is in the car other than AM/FM stereo. I know there is either a CD or cassette player in there, but I have never used it.
The Jeep Wrangler I used to have had a 6 disc CD changer in it; I used it a LOT on long trips.
I, too, had the "free trial" Sirius XM, but I did not want to put up with their incessant patting themselves on the back (self-serving commercials), so I did not sign up for it.
I have no intention of buying a new car anytime soon (never, that is), but I can guarantee if I do get one it will NOT be a Hyundai with THAT audio system!

Old 01-27-2015, 10:18 AM

1,588 posts, read 2,532,400 times
The idea of getting rid of them in a car is fine. I use my iPhone which is connected to a headunit via a front panel USB slot and detachable cord. I can't stand the hardwired systems or the docks.

In my opinion manufactures should take it a step further and get rid of those hard wired systems, one USB port, one Aux in and that is it. My wife's Edge has an Apple product hardwire system. If they would have just gone with usb, I could use any item. 3.5mm aux jacks do not give the same quality as the USB system but mp/3/4s don't give the same quality of a CD.

Although, with today's popular artisits it's probably better that they are in a compressed and garbled digital format. I mean unless you like hearing every nuance of Transformer copulation sounds and white girls pretending to be black.

I find I listen to something like Hotel California or Eric Clapton or just anything older. It just doesn't sound as good in a compressed digital format like MP3/4.

I like crisp and clean blanced audio, every person I have rode with recently likes BASS BASS and more BASS. "Check this, bass you feel that bass hit?" Yes, of course I can't feel or hear anything else. Don't get me wrong, I like nice deep bass but it just sounds like a garbled rattly mess the way many of my friends and relatives have set thier stereos.

Old 01-27-2015, 11:49 AM

2,444 posts, read 2,765,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyAMG View Post
I like crisp and clean blanced audio, every person I have rode with recently likes BASS BASS and more BASS. "Check this, bass you feel that bass hit?" Yes, of course I can't feel or hear anything else. Don't get me wrong, I like nice deep bass but it just sounds like a garbled rattly mess the way many of my friends and relatives have set thier stereos.

This post led me to "it's all about that bass, all about that bass, all about that bass." Which is a terrible song and now it's stuck in my head and it's your fault.

Old 01-27-2015, 05:51 PM

1,168 posts, read 2,398,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Regina14 View Post
I use and enjoy CD's. I don't think it's right that we have to update music collections - and spend lots of $$ - every 10 or whatever years - I still have a good-sized collections of self-made tapes from the 80's and early 90's that I can't play. But there's nothing I can do about it, so I'll have to learn how to do MP3's or otherwise get the music on my CD's into a format I can play in future cars, if that's possible.
I'm with you 100% Regina. I am SOOOO tired of having to keep paying for the same music over and over. I was so happy when CD's came into being. They are durable, unlike 8-track and cassette, and they have the second best sound next to long playing records. But once again, in order to make a profit, we are being forced to change formats.

Believe me, until I am forced to do so, I won't buy a car without a CD player. The convenience is great.....and so is the sound.

I use my CD player in my car continuously......at least when I'm not listening to NPR. And I don't want to have to invest in some gadget and pay to have my hundreds of CD's transferred over!!!!

Old 01-27-2015, 06:00 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,201,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimdc58 View Post
I'm with you 100% Regina. I am SOOOO tired of having to keep paying for the same music over and over. I was so happy when CD's came into being. They are durable, unlike 8-track and cassette, and they have the second best sound next to long playing records. But once again, in order to make a profit, we are being forced to change formats.
Newsflash: you can change formats without paying anyone anything by ripping your CDs to whatever format is compatible on your device or car stereo for free.

Old 01-27-2015, 06:21 PM

7,688 posts, read 29,156,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTLightning View Post
I cant even remember the last time I played a CD in the car anyway.
I play CD's in my car daily. But I'm a specialized customer since I have a large collection of classical music, and the best performers are sometimes on small, foreign indie labels. So no DD.

Oh, and my work laptop has no audio drive. I bought an external one.

Old 01-27-2015, 06:47 PM

5,994 posts, read 20,093,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Newsflash: you can change formats without paying anyone anything by ripping your CDs to whatever format is compatible on your device or car stereo for free.
This is correct. I've also routinely converted my music from one format to another for incompatible players, etc.

Old 01-27-2015, 07:10 PM

1,618 posts, read 2,625,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Not only that, but you can upload it to Google Play Music and have an instant streaming library of your very own.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Hyundai and Kia