Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather > Hurricanes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2008, 09:31 AM

11,169 posts, read 10,656,715 times

Advertisements

Welp! OK, lemme think here a sec. So in that case, you may have a point, NCN.

Maybe the wildlife sanctuary would not be a good idea so those people do not get dispersed into our own communities?

People are always going to nag and whine. But, with Katrina, not enough was done. I think they did a great job with Gustav. Was it people complaining about Gustav?

Also, where's Metrolina? I'm not familiar with Metrolina (been sitting here wondering where that is, unrelated topic!) Help me before I obsess, please - lol. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2008, 09:39 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,158,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayrandom View Post
The same reasons people live in earthquake zones, volcano zones, drought zones, tsunami zones, forest fire zones, and flood plains. At least you get a warning with hurricanes.
Add places with extreme cold and especially blizzard conditions to that list as well.

In other words: after using common sense to mitigate the dangers (building at sea level or higher along the coast, high R Factor insulation in extremely cold [hot places to a lesser extent] locales, reinforced structures in earthquake/hurricane zones, etc)-----------pick your poison.

Old 09-01-2008, 10:10 AM

14,637 posts, read 35,055,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
We have already spent millions on these people and all I see on the TV from the residents is complaints that we have not done more. Some people may have to live there but for the others, duh!

The other day one of the stations showed a person ranting and raving about the inconvenience of where they had been sent to safety. My first thought was "Why is the government having to move you anywhere. You knew where you lived, so you should have made provisions for moving when a storm comes. This should not be the governments job. Their only job should be to warn you that you should move."
Exactly!

Old 09-01-2008, 10:13 AM

1,781 posts, read 6,968,152 times
Because some of us are born in coastal areas and thats what we grew up with and feel at home there, it has nothing to do with having a Brain or lack of.

Old 09-01-2008, 10:18 AM

15,216 posts, read 30,581,997 times
Nobody should live anywhere where anything bad could possibly happen. Like Iowa. Those rivers flooded. They should have seen that coming. Ain't nunna my tax dollars should go to fix their stuff.

And, uh, Utah. They should know that a comet could strike downtown Salt Lake City any day now. They should move to the magical disaster-free place. Where's that again?

Old 09-01-2008, 10:44 AM

11,169 posts, read 10,656,715 times
Everyone should move to Tampa. We've had a mystical bubble around our city for years now.

Seriously.

Old 09-01-2008, 10:46 AM

15,216 posts, read 30,581,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepGirl118 View Post
Everyone should move to Tampa. We've had a mystical bubble around our city for years now.

Seriously.
You know, for all the hurricanes that hit Florida, the major cities like Tampa, Miami and Jacksonville seem to escape the brunt of it every time.

Old 09-01-2008, 10:47 AM

1,380 posts, read 5,933,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepGirl118 View Post
Everyone should move to Tampa. We have a bubble around our city.

Seriously.
That's right Charlie was suppose to go to Tampa, the hurricane hit the bubble got pisst and turned to Punta Gorda.

Old 09-01-2008, 10:55 AM

13,495 posts, read 37,465,814 times
NCN, I'm one of those who didn't realize that NC is at the top of the list for disasters. Do you have a link or could you just elaborate a bit on what you read? Was it because of hurricanes or tornadoes or what put it at the top?

Old 09-01-2008, 02:33 PM

543 posts, read 2,365,319 times
There are risk any place you live. Most people who live in coastal communities live there because it is home to them. Some do not have the resources or finances to just pack up and leave for good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather > Hurricanes