Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather > Hurricanes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2008, 04:53 PM

20,868 posts, read 23,580,764 times

Advertisements

I would say to be ready from the Fla panhandle to Houston Texas. These things do have a mind of thier own.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2008, 05:03 PM

780 posts, read 1,767,228 times
Yeh we should blame Bush and while we are at it I heard England is entering into a Recession, lets blame Bush for that too

Old 08-30-2008, 05:31 PM

259,024 posts, read 90,679,200 times
Looking at the current track and at mapquest it seems that those as far inland as Shreveport may experience hurricane force winds on Tuesday. I do hope and pray for all in harm's way here. Please take this seriously. This is no time to stock up on booze. Keep a clear head for your own safety. This guy could come in worse than Katrina. Anything is possible.

Old 08-30-2008, 06:18 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,465,814 times
Not sure what's going on right at the moment, but at 6 pm CST, Gustav was only 6 mph away from a Cat 5. They said the winds for that category are 156 and above.

Yes, PLEASE don't relax if you live in coastal Tx. We have a friend on the police dept. in Houston and he has to work tonight even though it's his night off. They may end up moving them to 12 hour shifts once they know for sure what's going on. So keep paying close attention to the weather.

Nomadicus, it sounds like the Keys are getting winds or rain from this already. They didn't give the impression that they'd have a direct hit, but it looks a little rainy in several parts of Fla.

Old 08-30-2008, 06:25 PM

259,024 posts, read 90,679,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammie View Post
Not sure what's going on right at the moment, but at 6 pm CST, Gustav was only 6 mph away from a Cat 5. They said the winds for that category are 156 and above.

Yes, PLEASE don't relax if you live in coastal Tx. We have a friend on the police dept. in Houston and he has to work tonight even though it's his night off. They may end up moving them to 12 hour shifts once they know for sure what's going on. So keep paying close attention to the weather.

Nomadicus, it sounds like the Keys are getting winds or rain from this already. They didn't give the impression that they'd have a direct hit, but it looks a little rainy in several parts of Fla.
I'm way up here east of Tampa Bay and we have had several hard rains come across starting earlier in the day than the normal summer rains. I haven't set foot outside so don't even know if the wind is up much or not but I don't think so. I saw a post in another thread where someone in S FL was getting some stronger winds and rain from the old man doing his thing.

edit: I just looked at the 8PM report and it has winds of 150 while centered over Cuban mainland. They have to be having it rough now. I don't see much of a change in projected track at this time.

http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/goes/flt/t1/vis-l.jpg

Last edited by Nomadicus; 08-30-2008 at 07:02 PM..

Old 08-30-2008, 06:48 PM

1,692 posts, read 3,540,356 times
I know Katrina was bad but what number as that and is this one worse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather > Hurricanes