Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather > Hurricanes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2008, 09:09 PM

197 posts, read 753,057 times

Advertisements

Thanks. It helps to know that others make it through hurricanes without having panic attacks.

I'll just keep my medication near me "just in case." (LOL)

iuki
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2008, 07:40 PM

12,626 posts, read 32,101,763 times
I too have anxiety and panic attacks. I've been here for the hurricanes in 2004 and didn't have any problems. People tend to think they are worse than they are. Once you experience them, you'll think big deal! Actually it's fum b/c everyone gets to have the day off and hang out. Some quality family time with the kids.

Old 08-20-2008, 01:17 PM

3,631 posts, read 14,563,274 times
I rode out some hurricanes in Florida [even went out in the eye of a cat 2-just in the front yard -it was neat ] and my main experience was one of overwhelming sleepiness. I think from the barometric pressure getting so low.

Old 08-20-2008, 04:45 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,920,301 times
Well I don't know if I'll ever consider it fun. My kid had to hold his king mattress against his front door for 12 hours during Rita and had no power for weeks. People were fighting in the streets to bogart people's equipment etc. His neighbors lost roofs etc.

Wellington had a large horse center sustain a ton of damage yesterday and a whole building got lifted right over a horse and flew somewhere else.

The Treasure Coast had people being taken out of houses in boats the water rose over their doors. Trucks underwater with people in them, the worst flooding in over a decade. PSL says 25 million in damage.

I"m coming back to this thread to say, I have reconsidered the safe room and find it to be a good idea.

Being alone in a tornado is no big deal and you can run in the bathroom etc But since I live with two small birds who sleep in their own room in a big cage no way could I get them out in time if a projectile from the tornado crashed in their window at night. They wouldn't have a fighting chance. At least with a dog you can grab him and run in the interior room.

When I move from this rental in Feb, my number one priority will be EASY hurricane protection whether I rent or buy. These stupid aluminum pieces you have to drill in the walls are ridiculous. I cant understand putting that system in a 55+. I guess they were the cheap option. It was so stupid I didn't notice that when I signed the lease. Especially since I always like the ones that stay up all year long.

And next time, I'm definitely putting at least some of my shutters up, regardless of the laid back neighbors, even for a tropical storm warning.I also don't think it'd be fun having to fight with the insurance company, clean up and replace all the damaged stuff that it took me so long to accumulate, even though I try and live pretty minimal

Old 08-22-2008, 09:13 AM

17,553 posts, read 39,191,005 times
I have claustrophobia and am prone to panic attacks as well. Hurricanes have never caused them for me, however. But we have never boarded up our windows either. I, too, need to be able to see outside. I won't be in a locked room, don't like to ride with the power locks on in a car (I have had them break, as well as the power windows!) In other words, I have to know I can "breathe." Don't swim and won't go on a boat, either!

Well, that's my story, and as you can see I am pretty neurotic! But so far, no problems with the hurricanes triggering anything!

Old 08-22-2008, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
I have claustrophobia and am prone to panic attacks as well. Hurricanes have never caused them for me, however. But we have never boarded up our windows either. I, too, need to be able to see outside. I won't be in a locked room, don't like to ride with the power locks on in a car (I have had them break, as well as the power windows!) In other words, I have to know I can "breathe." Don't swim and won't go on a boat, either!

Well, that's my story, and as you can see I am pretty neurotic! But so far, no problems with the hurricanes triggering anything!
Thank you so much for sharing. That certainly makes me feel better.

It appears that as long as I am able to see out, the odds are that I won't have a panic attack.

Guess that answers hurricane windows vs. shutters.

Hope everything is going well for all of you Floridians here on this forum. You are all in my thoughts and prayers.

iuki

Old 08-27-2008, 08:19 AM

12,626 posts, read 32,101,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iuki001 View Post
Thank you so much for sharing. That certainly makes me feel better.

It appears that as long as I am able to see out, the odds are that I won't have a panic attack.

Guess that answers hurricane windows vs. shutters.

Hope everything is going well for all of you Floridians here on this forum. You are all in my thoughts and prayers.

iuki
How did you do?

Old 08-27-2008, 11:53 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,681,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kali's Grandma View Post
One the 3 vulnerable ones, we figure what the hay, they need replaced anyway so we don't board them.....ok ok we're not that brave, we do tack down the curtains to minimize and damage from flying glass.
So these are the only windows covered.
It's not the flying glass you have to worry about, it's the wind. Once the wind gets inside the house and creates an air pocket, it's very easy for the roof to lift off. I don't think curtains will keep the wind out, lol.

Old 08-27-2008, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beckycat View Post
How did you do?
We haven't moved to Florida yet.

I am checking out every aspect of moving there BEFORE we make that big move from Washington State to Florida. We are retirees and can't afford to be moving back and forth from the West Coast to the South East.

Thanks for asking.

Hope everything turned out well for you.

iuki

Old 08-29-2008, 01:15 PM

3,927 posts, read 8,673,921 times
I can relate in a different way. We have tornadoes where I live and there are many times we have to seek shelter. As I do not have any shelter at my home, I have to go to the community shelter just down the road from me. These shelters are 8 inch concrete with a steel door that must be locked when the storm is near and on top of us. There is an older storm shelter right next to it that is underground and then there are the two above ground community shelters.

I get panic attacks during the storm from listening to all the sounds outside. As we are in a very enclosed space with usually only a lantern as light and no electricity we are just waiting. Many people talk with their neighbors and others try to nap. Me? Well, I have found if I take my weather radio and have my cell, I can keep busy with weather reports and have many who call me for weather updates. I try to keep my mind focused on my task and the ability I have to call and warn people who rely on me for that information.

Prayer also helps quite a bit when things are dicy and scary during the hardest part of the storm.

The above is different from you because we are usually only in a storm shelter for a short period of time, maybe an hour tops, then can go outside whereas during a hurricane I do not believe that would be possible.

I also try to take something to help me stay more calm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather > Hurricanes