Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-13-2009, 04:29 PM

88 posts, read 511,533 times

Advertisements

My husband is getting an offer for a job located in Huntsville. We are currently in a northern subert of Atlanta (around Lake Lanier). My 8 year old son plays football and my 12 year old son plays travel ball. Schools here are great for GA standards but IMO they are "okay".

Can someone familiar with north Atlanta give me some pros and cons?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2009, 09:02 PM

4,923 posts, read 11,185,872 times
Overall better schools.
Good sports programs, summer, travel ball, etc.
Much less traffic.
City is more manage-able--easier to get around.
Crime not as bad.
Still has friendly small-town feel.
Pretty diversified folks who get along pretty well together.
Higher than average educated population.
Still retains a southern flavor.

Finally, my #1 reason--it gets you out of Atlanta!

Old 09-14-2009, 05:23 AM

1,178 posts, read 2,837,174 times
Hey, we are native Georgians and lived in the Atlanta area over 25 years. Saw it go from manageable to scary with traffic and growth. Our daughter graduated from Chattahoochee HS back when it was top rated ( don't know now). WE LOVE HUNTSVILLE AREA!!!! I can get from Gurley area to Madison in 30 minutes and everywhere else I want to go in 20. Couldn't do that there. The schools are good just as in Atlanta depends on where you live. If you have any questions, DM me. We just moved in the last 9 months. Warning, you will miss Trader Joe's and fantastic shopping in Atlanta but there is so much to make up for that. Huntsville is only a short drive to Chattanooga and not far from NAshville or Birmingham. Great location.

Old 09-14-2009, 05:55 AM

12,735 posts, read 21,769,052 times
Huntsville has nice shopping for a city it's size. A "Rodeo Drive" type development called Bridgestreet is here featuring stores like Juicy Couture, BeBe, Lucky Brand Jeans, and other high end stores. Parkway Place Mall is an upscale mall with a Williams Sonoma and Chico's. Madison Square Mall is your typical mall, which lacks a Macy's and which is slowly dying, but will soon get back to normal. There are other large shopping centers that contain your typical stores, such as Ross, TJ Maxx, Marshall's, Super Target, Khol's, and other "suburban" stores. There are also about 5 other large shopping centers on the way; if based on the economy, there may be 1 or 2 that will actually make it FOR NOW! Living in Huntsville would probably be equivalent to living in a large section of the Atlanta Metro, meaning that everything is in your reach, and you don' have to drive 40 minutes to get to work. There are 2 hospitals, one on the way, and several smaller medical facilities with hospital-like services. Huntsville has a lot of professionals and educational people. The schools here are great, and the housing is inexpensive compared to that "GIANT". Huntsville isn't your Southern hick town filled with Rednecks. NO!!!! However, Huntsville is diversed, although it's very BLACK and WHITE. Huntsville is experiencing a boom that is giving it a nice spotlight. I hope that I've explained the GREAT Huntsville in a nut shell.

Old 09-14-2009, 07:05 AM

A & M --- Huntsville does have some good shopping for a town of its size but it doesn't compare to Atlanta. Can't and shouldn't be expected to do so in the shopping category. HOWEVER, one point I know very well because I have moved from Huntsville area in 2006 back to Atlanta and then from Atlanta back to Huntsville in 2008. Huntsville housing is HIGH compared to Atlanta area. That market over there has great deals now for buyers and for a seller it is a nightmare. House prices here are somewhat inflated IMHO. With the economy finally bringing some reality to the market here it is somewhat better. I think the idea of BRAC made builders and sellers over here a little greedy and unrealistic. Nevertheless, I agree with you - Huntsville is a great place to live.

Old 09-14-2009, 07:39 AM

88 posts, read 511,533 times
Are there basements in Hunstville?

Old 09-14-2009, 07:58 AM

Some basements but not as many as we were use to in the Atlanta area. It is limestone over here and that doesn't bode well for basements like you are used to. Nevertheless, you can find some and also homes with alot of storage. We compromised in 06 on the basement. My husband put his workshop in the 3rd garage . I do remember our Atlanta basements as a great place for kids and particularly our teenager in those years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area