Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2008, 08:17 PM

1 posts, read 4,095 times

Advertisements

New to the area? Single and looking for places to go on the 4th. Like to meet new friends and learn about the area and culture. Any Ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2008, 05:02 AM

1,645 posts, read 4,585,102 times
Independence Day Celebration - Huntsville
On July 4th, The Exchange Club of Huntsville is hosting its annual Independence Day Celebration at Bridge Street Town Centre this year with the largest fireworks show in Huntsville's history. In additional to the fireworks show, there will be a whole day of activities including a large children’s area - complete with blow up slides and bounce houses. There will also be all day entertainment provided by Bridge Street’s Pavement Performers and a performance by The Reunion Band. For more information, call (256)539-9504.

Spirit of America Festival - Decatur (broken link)
The South's largest free 4th of July celebration is held annually at Point Mallard Park. Other family events include a kids/teen talent show, a NCAA cheerleading competition, children's activity area, 5k & 10k road races, 100 mile bike ride, softball tournament, golf tournament, food and game vendors from across the southeast, the Miss Point Mallard Pageant - a Miss America Preliminary Pageant, continuous stage entertainment by local and area bands and artists, and a booming fireworks display at 10 pm on the 4th. July 3rd (1 p.m.-midnight) and July 4th (9:30 a.m.-midnight), 2008. Free. For more info, call (256) 350-2028 or 256-350-1776 or 800-524-6181.

Old 06-30-2008, 07:21 AM

1,618 posts, read 4,787,891 times
It's so goofy but after going to professional fireworks shows for years and years, I'm excited to live someplace where the little street fireworks are legal! They were part of my own childhood started being made illegal in more and more cities around southern California. I hope Huntsville keeps them legal, as I really think the 'danger' is only from people who misuse them.

Sounds like a fun event though at Bridge Street.

Old 06-30-2008, 02:19 PM

2,451 posts, read 3,213,202 times
I believe that possessing or shooting off fireworks in Huntsville is illegal. Outside of the city limits it may be OK. Hopefully that doesn't spoil some of your fun.

DJM

Old 06-30-2008, 05:37 PM

871 posts, read 2,884,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmaxwell View Post
I believe that possessing or shooting off fireworks in Huntsville is illegal. Outside of the city limits it may be OK. Hopefully that doesn't spoil some of your fun.

DJM
They are also illegal in the Madison City limits - although they do not heavily enforce it except when their is a drought.

Best place to see fireworks in Madison is the Kroger parking lot. Great view of the fireworks at Dublin, cheap snacks from Krogers and easy to get out of when it is over with.

Old 06-30-2008, 09:27 PM

1,645 posts, read 4,585,102 times
Seen the festival on the Mall in the DC area... done the local at home fireworks in DC--now looking foward to Bridges!

Happy 4th~

Old 07-01-2008, 06:30 AM

It is? I keep seeing fireworks stands. It seems odd to me that they'd sell them in city limits if it's not legal to possess or shoot them in city limits? I better do some homework. My neighbors seem to think it's legal.

Old 07-01-2008, 06:38 AM

Darn, you're right: Department of Public Safety (http://www.ci.huntsville.al.us/dps/DPS_fireworks.htm - broken link) I guess those stands I am seeing out here are all technically in the county.

Maybe we will go to bridge street after all. The 4th isn't the 4th without fireworks!

Last edited by zenjenn; 07-01-2008 at 06:51 AM..

Old 07-01-2008, 07:14 AM

426 posts, read 1,272,296 times
I'm betting all those stands are located in the county. Where I live, the Huntsville, Madison city limits are all over the place, intertwined with areas of the county. It's really weird to me that you could be in the county and your next door neighbor can, literally, be in the city.

I think if Alabama would make it legal to sell fireworks more than the two weeks per year (or whatever it is--around July 4 and New Year's) people wouldn't make such a big deal out of it. They're already shooting fireworks around the western part of the county and will continue for probably another week or so. LOL--my dogs absolutely *hate* this time of year.

Old 07-01-2008, 08:02 AM

Yeah I talked to some neighbors and they think it is legal because our postal address is "Owens Cross Roads", but we ARE in city limits, so I am 99.9% sure they are wrong. I'm sure they will shoot them off anyways and have a great time, but I'm too goody-goody law abiding to do so, and with my kids, I won't even watch. IF a patrol car comes by and puts a stop to it and fines my neighbors, I don't want to be the one to explain to my 5 yr old why our friends are breaking the law. I have even bought items like appliances that are delivered to our residence and the retailers will tell me I don't have to pay the extra tax because our address is "Owens Cross Roads" and I try to really insist that yes, we do have to pay the tax. Do you believe they won't even let me? As far as I am concerned, if I am reaping the benefits of city schools and services than I should follow the city laws and pay the taxes. But the Big Cove/Hampton Cove area has some kind of municipal identity crisis going on I guess!

I agree they should be legal the week of the 4th, and for safety concerns have regulations about where and how you can light them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area