Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-13-2021, 08:02 AM

1,645 posts, read 3,115,668 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick In Madison View Post
Otherwise you'll get what happened to the Huntsville Stars when the New York (???) owner owned them for what eventually was nothing more than a tax loss.

Spending money to "potentially" make money is tough to do for 99.98% of us. Frankly, I don't think the Huntsville market is large enough to support such an adventure. Despite the population of Fort Lauderdale, I watched the Fort Lauderdale Strikers do their best in the NASL and to only relocate elsewhere.

I hope good things can come to the old 'joe' whether its soccer, La Cross, or any other support.
I think the top level for Huntsville would be the NISA league. Budgets are fairly low. The issue for Huntsville is any league that isn't a bus league is incredibly expensive for air travel with our limited offerings.

But, it all comes down to a willing owner, with large sums of money. I think $10m is the minimum requirements, but it might be $20 m or higher.

And you are right, would need to be local ownership. Or at least move to town like the TPandas' owner has done.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2021, 08:52 AM

3,472 posts, read 4,898,981 times
Its a soccer team.....in the US and even worse.....in the South. There isn't a lot of interest in it so there isn't any money in it. A soccer team will not support itself monetarily or be profitable. Someone will have to prop it up.

Old 04-13-2021, 10:29 AM

1,645 posts, read 3,115,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dijkstra View Post
Its a soccer team.....in the US and even worse.....in the South. There isn't a lot of interest in it so there isn't any money in it. A soccer team will not support itself monetarily or be profitable. Someone will have to prop it up.
Sorry, that's a very old take.

Chattanooga averaged 4,000 a game for their amateur team.

Atlanta led MLS in attendance.

Nashville was booming in the amateur level, and moved up to MLS and I think they will do very well. Charlotte was a lower division team and also moved up. Charleston has been a consistent draw for probably 25 years. Birmingham has done very well. Louisville is drawing great crowds.

Now those are cities bigger than Huntsville, but our area is quite diverse and growing. I'd probably start with the amateur team and work up if the market supports it.

Old 04-13-2021, 11:09 AM

3,472 posts, read 4,898,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FCEddie View Post
Sorry, that's a very old take.

Chattanooga averaged 4,000 a game for their amateur team.

Atlanta led MLS in attendance.

Nashville was booming in the amateur level, and moved up to MLS and I think they will do very well. Charlotte was a lower division team and also moved up. Charleston has been a consistent draw for probably 25 years. Birmingham has done very well. Louisville is drawing great crowds.

Now those are cities bigger than Huntsville, but our area is quite diverse and growing. I'd probably start with the amateur team and work up if the market supports it.

I don't believe many, if any Soccer teams are profitable. I know Nashville wasn't but were getting close to not losing money at least. I have no idea about Birmingham and don't care enough to dig into it but I would be willing to bet they are in the red every year. I have no idea why wealthy people invest in soccer teams unless they are just fans and want to promote the sport while at the same time have a tax write off. Without them throwing money away on the teams and propping them up, pro soccer would not exist in the US. To be fair though, most minor league baseball teams, womens NBA and many other sports aren't profitable and are propped up as well.

Old 04-13-2021, 03:05 PM

3,036 posts, read 3,670,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AU HSV View Post
A new apartment complex is one of the buildings planned.
Additional details:

*360-units

*7 Levels

*Retail & restaurant spaces on the 1st & 2nd levels

*Pool, gym & clubhouse on the 7th level

*Parking garage is included, but appears to be a separate project.

*To be located in the [parking] lot between Casual Pint/Vintage West & Taco Mama.
More info
https://www.al.com/news/2021/04/100-...rovidence.html

Old 04-13-2021, 05:01 PM

13,434 posts, read 9,954,201 times
Quote:
It looks very nice. Probably will be the top apartment spot in Huntsville.

Old 04-13-2021, 05:10 PM

City updates on Restore our Roads program initiated by Mayor Battle and the City of Huntsville
https://cityblog.huntsvilleal.gov/re...nfrastructure/

Interesting part

City is also looking at improvements to the I-565 and Memorial Parkway interchange.

Also under consideration is a bypass that would parallel Memorial Parkway and ease congestion on both Interstate 565 and the Parkway. That project may soon transition from possibility to necessity with FBI’s relocation at Redstone Arsenal and Huntsville’s selection as the permanent site of U.S. Space Command.

“That would give us a secondary outlet to Memorial Parkway, and it would provide us a relief valve,” Battle said. “When the Arsenal goes from 40,000 people to 55,000, that will be important to us.”

Old 04-13-2021, 05:50 PM

May have been mentioned earlier; Opening in a few weeks, this place should be a hit
Agave & Rye, a Tequila and Bourbon Hall plans to open April 28 in Bridge Street Town Centre.

The interior will seat 170 guests, with 40 of those seats at the bar. Outdoor seating will be available for up to 100 guests.

The look of the Huntsville location will be unique, said Agave & Rye Founder and CEO Yavonne Sarber.

“The interior of the restaurant will evoke a style that blends soothing and contemporary décor – all unique to this location. A blue, like the sky on a summer’s night, will color the high, lofty ceilings,” Sarber said.

https://agaveandrye.com/

Old 04-13-2021, 07:21 PM

13,434 posts, read 9,954,201 times
Quote:
City updates on Restore our Roads program initiated by Mayor Battle and the City of Huntsville
https://cityblog.huntsvilleal.gov/re...nfrastructure/

Interesting part

City is also looking at improvements to the I-565 and Memorial Parkway interchange.

Also under consideration is a bypass that would parallel Memorial Parkway and ease congestion on both Interstate 565 and the Parkway. That project may soon transition from possibility to necessity with FBI’s relocation at Redstone Arsenal and Huntsville’s selection as the permanent site of U.S. Space Command.

“That would give us a secondary outlet to Memorial Parkway, and it would provide us a relief valve,” Battle said. “When the Arsenal goes from 40,000 people to 55,000, that will be important to us.”
Is that the project that leaves 565 somewhere east of the Space & Rocket Center, goes near the botanical gardens and eventually intersects the Parkway? I thought that was pretty much a done deal (being built eventually I suppose) and not one just under consideration - kind of an alternate to the Patriot Parkway that was shot down by Arsenal security concerns.

Improvements to the Parkway/565 interchange are definitely needed but will be expensive if done properly.

Old 04-13-2021, 07:41 PM

Actually this sound like a totally new project.
Patton road along the east side of the Arsenal would be a relative easy upgrade to controlled access. Upgrade the Jordan Lane I-565 interchange and add a Bob Wallace overpass and you have a smooth fast corridor.
Another option is to upgrade Triana Blvd to the closed Gate 5 (Hansen rd). A new exit at I -565
Would be required.

Last edited by AU HSV; 04-13-2021 at 07:50 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area