Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2014, 09:10 AM

11,787 posts, read 17,771,707 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW Dave View Post
I have been to the original Saws in Florence, sandwich tasted like potpourri, like twigs. Just awful, but then again I have never had a good meal in Florence, maybe that will change one day, but it was an off day.
SAW

Are you sure they are related? I was under the impression Homewood was his first location. It is highly regarded here as well, especially if you like North Carolina vinegar based sauce as opposed to the sweeter heavier kind that is prevalent here.

Quote:
The Alabaster location seems to be the one most likely to get my business. I will make sure I try that one when I do.
That is a good one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2014, 11:46 AM

1,782 posts, read 3,279,085 times
Huh! It's not called Saw's anymore, but "Smokin' on the boulevard" weird. I ate there 4yrs ago, but it had been there for years. Oh well.

This Saws place sounds awesome. I do like the vinegar based sauces.

Sounds like I need to head back down and get some bbq!

Old 06-21-2014, 10:27 PM

1,892 posts, read 3,085,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW Dave View Post
Jesus, I hope Dickeys is NOT coming.

I am a faithful Jim N Nicks guy, but have wanted to try Full Moon. I need to get some on my way back from Bham sometime. I just heard how great the cookies were so, I'll add that to the list.

Dave, since you are a favorite JN's fan, I am wondering if you have been to their restaurant in Shades Valley, (Central Ave. Homewood) that is called the Little Donkey? It has been open for about two years. A new concept for them. It is kind of a bbq/Mexican place. Contemporary approach and popular with your age group.
Great meat as you would expect, and same with the drinks.

They have just opened another new concept last month that is called BIG BAD BREAKFAST. It is in the Greystone area on US280. This is a partnership with a 'James Beard' award winning chef from Oxford, Mississippi.

Ok, one more. If you haven't been to the New York Butcher Shop in the Heights Village Shopping on Cahaba Heights Road. Do yourself a favor. They have been around for a few years now, but one cannot tire of a perfect sandwich. The roast beef is like biting into cream cheese.

I know this thread is about Full Moon, so I will reiterate that you should eat there too. LOL
You better diet a few days before your next visit.

Enjoy and when you have made this journey share you thoughts please. But it looks like it may have to be an overnight trip. lol

Best to you

Old 06-21-2014, 10:48 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,157,635 times
When Archibald's in Tuscaloosa puts a franchise up, I'll be camping out in front of the door on opening day.

Old 06-22-2014, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj kapoor View Post
Dave, since you are a favorite JN's fan, I am wondering if you have been to their restaurant in Shades Valley, (Central Ave. Homewood) that is called the Little Donkey? It has been open for about two years. A new concept for them. It is kind of a bbq/Mexican place. Contemporary approach and popular with your age group.
Great meat as you would expect, and same with the drinks.

They have just opened another new concept last month that is called BIG BAD BREAKFAST. It is in the Greystone area on US280. This is a partnership with a 'James Beard' award winning chef from Oxford, Mississippi.

Ok, one more. If you haven't been to the New York Butcher Shop in the Heights Village Shopping on Cahaba Heights Road. Do yourself a favor. They have been around for a few years now, but one cannot tire of a perfect sandwich. The roast beef is like biting into cream cheese.

I know this thread is about Full Moon, so I will reiterate that you should eat there too. LOL
You better diet a few days before your next visit.

Enjoy and when you have made this journey share you thoughts please. But it looks like it may have to be an overnight trip. lol

Best to you
Ha, I have heard of Big Bad Breakfast, not Little Donkey.

New York Butcher Shop sounds great, I just wish I had more reasons to go to Bham, other than finding things to do inbetween meals!

Old 06-23-2014, 06:58 AM

626 posts, read 754,739 times
I dont understand the hype about Jim and Nicks. Ate there on a number of occasions and was never so impressed that I would choose it over anything we have here in the Huntsville area.

Old 06-23-2014, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamar Bowman View Post
I dont understand the hype about Jim and Nicks. Ate there on a number of occasions and was never so impressed that I would choose it over anything we have here in the Huntsville area.
That is true, a lot of the newer locations suck and suck hard.

I always eat at the 5pts location, because they have been there for a very long time and the food is just better.

I have eaten at some off the interstate and they have been terrible. Prattville being one that haunts me.

Old 06-23-2014, 09:22 AM

36 posts, read 38,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamar Bowman View Post
I personally LOVE Dickey's. Ate at a few Dallas locations while on travel and I ALWAYS stop in when there. I only eat their brisket so I cannot speak to other items. The best brisket I have found in town is at chuck wagon and it does not come close to Dickey's. If we get one, you should try it. Much better than JnN IMHO.

Old 06-23-2014, 09:56 AM

11,787 posts, read 17,771,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WidgetMaker View Post
I personally LOVE Dickey's. Much better than JnN IMHO.
Two just opened (will open this week) in our area, so they will have a hill to climb topping other Birmingham favorites. If it meets HSV approval I'm sure this town will be abuzz with the new king of Q and everyone will forget about Saw's, JnN's, FM, Miss Myra's, Demetri's, Shane's, Dreamland, Costa's, etc, etc.

Old 06-23-2014, 08:53 PM

1,892 posts, read 3,085,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
Two just opened (will open this week) in our area, so they will have a hill to climb topping other Birmingham favorites. If it meets HSV approval I'm sure this town will be abuzz with the new king of Q and everyone will forget about Saw's, JnN's, FM, Miss Myra's, Demetri's, Shane's, Dreamland, Costa's, etc, etc.

Times have really changed; I remember when no list would exclude Golden Rule. (but never my favorite)

Just to pay homage; I still really miss the Roadhouse in Dodge City on 69.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area