Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2014, 09:44 AM

1,618 posts, read 4,794,183 times

Advertisements

Paul Sanford vs. David Blair.

Discuss.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2014, 10:05 AM

282 posts, read 688,273 times
who?

Old 05-20-2014, 01:31 PM

4,739 posts, read 10,453,246 times
Paul Sanford is the incumbent State Senator; David Blair is the Huntsville Board of Education member for District 2. I have voted for and campaigned for each of them, so this will be a tough decision. However, I tend to vote for the incumbent if they perform well - and both of them have represented me well.

Don't forget the Democratic Party primary: Mitchell Howie vs Rose Gaskin.

Meet the Democratic hopefuls for Alabama Senate District 7 covering Huntsville, northern Madison County | AL.com

Old 05-20-2014, 03:15 PM

2,513 posts, read 2,795,149 times
I was living in district 2. I don't know any of these candidates for district 7 since now I live I live in this district.

While education is a huge issue, so are the roads. The article talks about 1.6B required to fix the bottlenecks.

Anyone ever see where the gas tax goes to? Much of it doesn't even go to road projects. It goes to fish and wildlife funds and water way funds. Why? Then, the remaining isn't even distributed by population to the counties. Much of it is dispersed equally to all counties.

From al.gov:

Quote:

[SIZE=3]Distribution
[/SIZE][SIZE=3][SIZE=3]Gasoline – 1.23% of the $.12 levy goes to the Conservation Department.
35% of 1% of the $.12 levy is credited to the Water Safety Fund and the Seafood Fund.
70% of 1% of the $.12 levy is credited to the Game and Fish Fund.
18% of 1% of the $.12 levy is credited to the Water Safety Fund and the Seafood Fund.
60% of the $.05 supplemental tax goes to the State Road and Bridge Fund.
Remaining 40% is distributed according to the 45%/55% pattern below.
The balance of the $.12 levy and the entire $.04 gasoline levy are distributed as follows:
(1) 45% to the State Road & Bridge Fund. The distributions to the Game and Fish Fund (70%) and the distributions to the Water Safety Fund and the Seafood Fund (18%) are deducted from the State Road and Bridge Fund.
(2) 55% to be shared by the counties and their municipalities as follows:
(a) 25% of the net tax proceeds are distributed equally to the 67 counties;
(b) 30% of the net tax proceeds are allocated to the 67 counties based on population.
1. 10% of the counties’ share received shall be allocated to each municipality therein, based on a population ratio.
2. Remaining portion to the county.
Motor Fuels – The $.13 and $.06 levies are distributed as follows:
$.13 to Department of Transportation
$.06 as follows:
.93% of net collections is allocated among the incorporated municipalities of the state and distributed as provided in Section 8-17-91(a) (2) c.
4.69% distributed equally among each of the 67 counties of the state monthly.
Balance paid to the State Treasury to be used for highway purposes by the State Department of Transportation.

[/SIZE]
[/SIZE]

Old 05-20-2014, 04:05 PM

1,618 posts, read 4,794,183 times
This GOP primary is of particular interest to me because I feel Sanford has represented us well. I don't know much about Blair - except to say not impressed with some of the changes in HCS and he seems to be attacking Sanford for reasons I'm not yet persuaded are valid.

Old 05-20-2014, 10:54 PM

36 posts, read 56,906 times
Default District 8 state senate?

Does anyone know anything about Steve Livingston for state senate?

Steve Livingston for State Senate | Vote Steve Livingston

He is a Republican candidate for District 8 state senate.

Old 05-21-2014, 06:44 AM

4,739 posts, read 10,453,246 times
Steve Livingston is a great guy and I'm confident that he would be a fine representative. Livingston is from Scottsboro and knows Huntsville (his late wife was a real estate developer). Livingston's company (gas stations / jobber) gives him insight into area business needs.

zenjenn - agree about Sanford; Paul doesn't get in the news much but he has established himself as an influential player (kind of like south HSV Representative Howard Sanderford - never in the news but nothing happens without his support).

I've been pleased with Blair's performance on the school board. Hiring Wardynski was a happy start, the AEA union despises him, and he tries to ensure that children get the best education possible - Blair has his priorities right. IMO Blair has been fairly restrained in criticizing Sanford (he has to think he could do a better job), but he knows that people like Sanford.

Last edited by Reactionary; 05-21-2014 at 07:58 AM..

Old 05-21-2014, 07:49 AM

3,297 posts, read 6,273,703 times
Steve Livingston was married to Sandra Steele, of Enfinger-Steele. She just passed away a few weeks ago, she was a very special lady.

I don't know specifics about Steve as far as his platform, views, etc but he's a great guy and like has been stated, a businessman which should serve him well in Montgomery. I think he would do a good job in Montgomery

Old 05-21-2014, 09:17 AM

2,513 posts, read 2,795,149 times
Generally, if I don't know the incumbant or new guy too well, I usually vote the new guy in. I like change. I don't like good old boy politics which can happen with politicans who end up serving for years and years.

It seems like Blair is taking the stance that we need to make sure Redstone is still an important part for Government funding. Sandford wants to broaden the industrial economy of the area. Blair seems to have done a good job on HCS side of things. I do wonder why it took Battle to get the funds and if Sanford was around trying to get those funds too.

Looking at the Gaskin-Howie race, I don't have enough information to make an informed opinion. However, the few articles on al.com on both don't leave me impressed at all.

Old 05-21-2014, 05:15 PM

614 posts, read 768,100 times
Not to hijack, but this is a political thread so ...

Why has there been no mention or thread about Sarah Palin speaking tonight at New Hope's graduation? This is a big deal for the area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area