Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-05-2014, 07:02 PM

1 posts, read 1,907 times

Advertisements

An auto repair shop was hired to rebuild the transmission on an SUV, I furnished the torque converter, I put down a fraction of the total bill. Three weeks later I went in to pay my bill and pick up the car. The engine was missing and valves clattering, the front end pulling to the right, I drove 1/2 block back to the shop and told them I would have a wrecker come pick it up again. Also I found out the repair shop had driven the vehicle for 176 miles while it was in their possession , thus damaging the motor. They finally admitted driving it , they offered to repair the drive train but not the engine once I paid the complete bill.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2014, 09:05 PM

3,881 posts, read 4,126,163 times
Oh geez. Are we allowed to have the name of the place? No way on paying the bill and then getting a fix.
I remember yrs ago, my dad put our car in shop for overhaul because we were moving from Ct. to MN. While in the shop, they had left the key in the car under the mat. The car was stolen, wrecked in high speed chase from cops. The place tried to say that my dad was responsible cause he left the key in it. He told them they were crazy...they'd had the car for several days. He fought and fought with insurance co (travelers) for almost a yr. They had admitted to him several times that it had been their fault but they weren't going to do a thing about it. He started taping all calls. Finally one day again they admitted that my dad was not at fault but noone would ever know that. He played the tape back to them and they yelled at him that it was illegal for him to do that and he said.. what the hell do you think what you're doing is?. They hung up, called him about half hr later and asked where to send him a check. All told it took about a yr with phone calls about 2x's a week. He's a persistent bugger. There's got to be some sort of recourse for you. Sounds like they did a little joyriding or something. That's a little far for a test ride!
I just know that I never want to use that place. Man, I feel for you.
Maybe call the attorney general's office? I know that can be effective for other businesses.

Old 04-05-2014, 09:31 PM

1,644 posts, read 3,035,289 times
Well, if I see someone with single digit posts, I tend to be doubtful about the thing in general. I noticed the name wasn't given, and was interested at first, but then saw it was his first post on this account.

That said, isn't HB's writing style so it's not him.

Old 04-06-2014, 06:23 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,194,689 times
Better Business Bureau might be able to help or advise you.

In regards to naming bad businesses, it is against the ToS since the business has no way to respond. If someone asks, you can 'not recomment' them but the dirty details need to be sent via PM

Old 04-06-2014, 01:26 PM

11,787 posts, read 17,769,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdg55 View Post
An auto repair shop was hired to rebuild the transmission on an SUV, I furnished the torque converter, I put down a fraction of the total bill. Three weeks later I went in to pay my bill and pick up the car. The engine was missing and valves clattering, the front end pulling to the right, I drove 1/2 block back to the shop and told them I would have a wrecker come pick it up again. Also I found out the repair shop had driven the vehicle for 176 miles while it was in their possession , thus damaging the motor. They finally admitted driving it , they offered to repair the drive train but not the engine once I paid the complete bill.
1. Why would you even suggest a wrecker unless you knew the engine had problems to begin with? If the car had problems in the engine only after you left it with them you would have rightly come in raising hell, not offer to have it towed out of there.

2. They offered to fix the "drivetrain" but not the engine. When people say drivetrain or powertrain they are commonly referring to the engine and transmission. So you are saying they offered to fix only the transmisson, the job you hired and paid them for to begin with?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area