Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2013, 05:40 AM

137 posts, read 231,669 times

Advertisements

I have been meaning to ask this question for a long time, but what is the deal in this area with the abandoned vehicles on the highway? I've seen more of them in this areas that have far more cars and people in them. They sometimes sit out there for days too. Why aren't the towed off and impounded?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2013, 06:47 AM

1,644 posts, read 3,043,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rae-zor View Post
I have been meaning to ask this question for a long time, but what is the deal in this area with the abandoned vehicles on the highway? I've seen more of them in this areas that have far more cars and people in them. They sometimes sit out there for days too. Why aren't the towed off and impounded?
I haven't seen any, but when I used to drive in via 565 I'd see them often. Usually they start accumulating when it first gets warm (I'm guessing overheating) and in December (maybe having to take the beater out to do shopping.)

I think they get the orange sticker first, warning them they'll get impounded if they don't move it in the next X days. No idea what the amount of days is.

Most of the cars I would see were POS (not point of sale) and the people who drive them, I'm guessing, might not have funds to move them or repair them on hand easily.

Old 08-19-2013, 07:05 AM

1,846 posts, read 4,749,333 times
When my mother in law visited us (she drove up from Florida) in Huntsville, she remarked that there were a lot of abandoned cars on the highway in Alabama. It is enough to be noticeable.

Old 08-19-2013, 07:44 AM

331 posts, read 512,544 times
What many people dont realize is that you can get road side assistance through your phone carrier. I pay 5 bucks for the family share with Verizon and getting a car towed up to 10 miles with no extra charge is a nice thing to have. All you need is to have that phone present at the vehicle you call about.

Regards
Huffbuffer

Old 08-19-2013, 09:10 AM

300 posts, read 608,165 times
Yeah, it's pretty bad. They are usually beater cars; I've noticed that, too. I think in some states where the roads are much busier, no chance to move it is given. Once it's noticed and tagged, they get picked up within 24-48 hours. Maybe it's a more efficient police force doing the tagging and more tow companies contracted to remove the cars. Once I saw an old beater tow truck picking up an abandoned car on 565. I figure if that's what's out there towing, no wonder things are so slow!

Old 08-19-2013, 10:30 AM

137 posts, read 231,669 times
I meant to say it was on 565 I noticed this.

Old 08-19-2013, 03:15 PM

1,782 posts, read 3,287,711 times
Yeah I agree, first warm month and then all those radiators blow.

But I do see a lot of them here...

Old 08-20-2013, 12:49 PM

458 posts, read 619,005 times
It seems to me that this is a southern phenomenon. I saw it all the time driving on I-95 in Florida. It's strange because this area has a relatively mild climate. Never gets super hot or super cold.

Old 08-20-2013, 03:09 PM

282 posts, read 688,963 times
About a year ago there was a 4 door sedan on the side of the road on the elevated part of 565 for like a week. It was on the skinny 2 lane changeover and was not safe.

Old 08-24-2013, 05:01 PM

1,782 posts, read 3,287,711 times
Ok, so on Friday morning there was a car just parked in the right lane in front of my new house in Madison.

I got there about 7:30 and its literally in the road, not on the grass across the street, but taking up a full lane. The house btw is for sale and I know the owner, it's not his car or any car associated with him. In addition, the house is indeed empty and the garage and driveway are vacant.

So I went across the street and checked the engine and it was cold.

I waited till today, Saturday to call the police dept. They came out within 10min of my call and put an orange sticker on it and it said the car was being investigated by the MPD.

I asked around and no one knows what the deal is, the owner of the house for sale actually lives in the neighborhood, but is out of town. It's a local 47 plate too.

But the first thing I thought of when I saw it was this thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area