Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-07-2012, 09:17 PM

2,878 posts, read 4,636,036 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I got a job with a company out of Huntsville, the job is really working from home so I can live anywhere. But, I saw the price of land just 20+ miles outside of the city and compared to other areas - it is darn cheap! I can have a nice house with 20 acres for under $200K, hay for my horses and a small hobby farm too...

So, my wife and I are contemplating moving there.

My question concerns horses - we have two and like to ride them out on trails. Are there any trails, forests, etc. in the proximity to Huntsville? Within one hour of trailering/driving is fine... Where do people generally ride in the area?

Any information is appreciated.

Thanks!
OD
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2012, 03:20 AM

355 posts, read 964,983 times
Here is a 10 mile trail in Athens you can ride:

Rails to Trails

Old 03-08-2012, 05:39 AM

300 posts, read 607,418 times
Buck's Pocket is supposed to be really nice; it's about an hour--hour and a half from Huntsville.

Old 03-08-2012, 07:53 AM

Thanks!

When I look at the map of Alabama, to the East and North-East of Huntsville there is a large green area that looks mountainous. I am a bit ignorant on the geography of this part of the country - can someone tell me what those (mountains?) are? Google Maps does not label them as anything...

Thanks!
OD

Old 03-08-2012, 08:12 AM

583 posts, read 829,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ognend View Post
Thanks!

When I look at the map of Alabama, to the East and North-East of Huntsville there is a large green area that looks mountainous. I am a bit ignorant on the geography of this part of the country - can someone tell me what those (mountains?) are? Google Maps does not label them as anything...

Thanks!
OD
Most if not all of it is private property. There is some land up there that is Forever Wild land with county road access, but most of it is private.

Near Huntsville, I'd say Bankhead NF or the Skyline WMA area. I don't know if you can ride horses in the Wheeler Wildlife Refuge.

Old 03-08-2012, 02:06 PM

6,048 posts, read 18,439,536 times
I don't think horses are allowed in Wheeler National Wildlife Refuge, but Bankhead National Forest - the parts in Lawrence and Winston counties - does. You might want to check their websites.

Old 03-08-2012, 06:06 PM

300 posts, read 607,418 times
Also, if you happen to find a riding buddy at Redstone Saddle Activity (they board close to 90 horses), you could use their trails as a visitor. I hear they've got miles of beautiful trails out there, too.

Old 03-09-2012, 06:50 AM

3,881 posts, read 4,135,401 times
You might try calling a few of the stables around the huntsville area. They may have some trails or be aware of trails that you can ride on. A lot of folks on the outskirts of different areas do have horses and own property and will let others ride there.
I'm not in Huntsville anymore, I'm out toward Bankhead that some have mentioned (On the map I'm actually in the Bankhead Forest area) and though there is a lot of good riding area there, it really is quite a drive out from Huntsville.

Old 03-09-2012, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by writerwife View Post
You might try calling a few of the stables around the huntsville area. They may have some trails or be aware of trails that you can ride on. A lot of folks on the outskirts of different areas do have horses and own property and will let others ride there.
I'm not in Huntsville anymore, I'm out toward Bankhead that some have mentioned (On the map I'm actually in the Bankhead Forest area) and though there is a lot of good riding area there, it really is quite a drive out from Huntsville.
Thank you very much!
OD

Old 03-09-2012, 09:21 PM

889 posts, read 2,401,150 times
Man. Based on the thread title, I was expecting a report on a horse riding around town unchecked. A little disappointed...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area