Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-16-2011, 07:40 AM

9 posts, read 44,274 times

Advertisements

Hello!

We are in the process of looking for a new home with a little bit of land for horses. We would like to move somewhere along I-65 between Hartselle and Elkmont. The reviews and ratings on the Greatschools website are all over the place. Some of the schools with low ratings have great reviews and vice versa. I was hoping to get some feedback from anyone who has experience at some of the schools in my search area to help me make a decision. I am primarily interested in the middle and high schools.

I have a child who will be entering the 8th grade. Academically, he is in the gifted program and is in honors & pre-A/P classes. Socially, he is somewhat shy, although he is social once he acclimates. Athletically, he is not interested in any sport except archery. I do not need the best school in the universe, but I would like to avoid any that have antiquated facilities and/or poor community support. My main priorities are a school that encourages parental involvement, has strong student support from the teachers, and has a student body that is welcoming to new students.

Some of the schools I would like to know about are Elkmont, Hartselle, West Morgan, Athens, and Ardmore. I am sure there are schools I am not yet aware of along our search route, so please feel free to bring them to my attention. We intend to tour some of the schools once we narrow down our search area. However, I feel that the information gained from people with personal experience in a school is extremely important.

Thanks so much!

Sunny
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2011, 09:00 PM

6,048 posts, read 18,466,678 times
That's an awfully broad area. Hartselle has excellent schools and a brand-new high school.

Old 12-17-2011, 08:21 AM

3,465 posts, read 4,863,183 times
As far as education, most schools are basically the same with exception of some that have specialized magnate type programs. The difference is the quality of students that attend the school. If the school is in an area with a less educated adult population, generally the average student doesn't do as well in school because their parents are not involved in their education and do not give them the support and assistance to excel in school (we all know some of these type people). Schools in these areas generally do not score as well on the public tests and therefore do not rank as well in the national ratings. However, the intelligent students and students with support still do very well and receive a good education. Studies have shown that A students, regardless of school attended; are prepared and do well in college.

Those websites like "Greatschools" are pretty much useless as far as gauging the quality of a school and whether or not your child would fit. Those sites are mostly places where people like to promote their school, so take it for what its worth.

My suggestion would be to go visit the schools as you narrow your search down and see what you think. Walking through a school while it is in session and watching the children will pretty much tell you what you need to know. You will most likely have one or two where you say "No way!" and a few that feel like home. Although your child is not into athletics, sports at school bring the community together and instill school pride within the children so you might take that into consideration as you continue your search.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area