Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2007, 08:52 AM

942 posts, read 2,519,340 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,
We are going to be visiting Huntsville next weekend and I am looking for recommendations for hotels, restaurants, and drives to see the area. We would like a nice, clean hotel. We prefer ethnic-type restaurants such as Greek and Mexican, or really any Middle-Eastern type food. Oh, and a great barbeque place!
We would like to drive around and see the "nicer" parts of Huntsville and Decatur, with an eye toward relocation. Any recommendations? Thanks in advance!!!!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2007, 02:47 PM

13,768 posts, read 38,186,004 times
Do you want to live in H'ville proper? There are a lot of smaller towns just outside of H'ville. Do you have children and are schools a concern?
Try Gibson Bar-b-que.. chicken with the white sauce. I am sure others can tell you of other places. There are mexican restaurants 'Rosie's on the pkwy is good.
Not an expert on where to live in H'ville as I live 25 minutes s.e of there in Arab.

Old 08-26-2007, 07:57 PM

1,561 posts, read 2,793,470 times
Surin of Thailand (Airport Road) is highly recommended by many, and my daughter and my cousin (who lived in Korea for 10 years) always make a point of eating at a Korean restaurant somewhere here in Huntsville when they're in town--maybe someone else on the forum will know its name.

The Hampton Inn (Boulevard South) and Radisson Inn (South Memorial Parkway) are right next to each other, and many of our family members and acquaintances stay there when visiting from out of town. They have had no problems, and that area is somewhat safer--in my opinion--than some others you could choose. Decatur will be a little more of a drive than if you stayed out near Madison, but at either the Hampton or the Radisson you'll be as close as you're going to get to south Huntsville.

Old 08-26-2007, 08:06 PM

Thanks for the replies. I would like to stay somewhere where my husband will say, "Boy, I didn't realize Huntsville would be so nice, modern and clean." I want him to be pleasantly suprised by the surroundings. I would also like to take him on a driving tour of the general area, particularly the areas that would make him say the above statement The interior of the hotel isn't quite as important as showing him that Huntsville is nicer than some of the other Southern cities in which we've lived. I REALLY want him to be impressed! Thanks and feel free to continue the suggestions.

Old 08-26-2007, 09:12 PM

4,739 posts, read 10,435,565 times
The Embassy Suites downtown is new; overlooks Big Spring Park, Museums, and the Civic Center; and is convenient to everything.

Greek - Papou's on South Courthouse Square. Mexican - I like Rosie's (S. Parkway or W. University Drive), but there are too many to list. Try Humphrey's for cocktails or dinner.

Driving tour of SE HSV: starting downtown, drive through the Twickenham Historic District, go to Five Points then up Pratt Ave / Bankhead Pkwy over Monte Sano Mountain to Governors Drive. Head East (away from town) to Hampton Cove then back over the mountain on Sutton Rd to Bailey Cove Road (aka Carl T Jones aka Airport Rd). Head South to Ditto Landing Marina (Green Cove Rd) then back up the Parkway - or down the Parkway to visit Keeper in Arab.

BTW Keeper - any good Middle Eastern food in Arab?
/ jk

Old 08-26-2007, 09:23 PM

6,048 posts, read 18,416,504 times
We have LOTS of Mexican restaurants because of the Hispanic population. Casa Blanca (several locations, one on University Blvd catty-corner from Madison Square Mall) is a good one. Maria Bonita in Decatur, along with El Portal on the Beltline (Ala 67) in Decatur. Gibson's BBQ in Decatur (Huntsville Gibson's is a different branch of the family, thus different BBQ)...Whitt's for take out BBQ. Catfish is a regional favorite - McCollum's in Decatur.
You might also search this forum for more info. Welcome!

Old 08-26-2007, 09:37 PM

268 posts, read 703,844 times
You might want to drive over the river to Decatur and see the historic sections, Line St, Ferry, Jackson St, to name a few. There is shopping downtown at Bank St and Lagniappes has great lunches and wonderful iced coffees ! In Decatur, you should see Wheeler Wildlife Refuge and Point Mallard Park.....if youre curious to see more "exclusive" neighborhoods, Burningtree Mountain and Country Club are v. nice.....we like to head out toward Burningtree to surrounding areas on our bike . Good Luck !

Old 08-27-2007, 06:22 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,186,004 times
HMMM.. As Henry Cho might say Gannon's is on the east side of town.. we consider that a mid eastern restaurant LOL
You might want to take 431 or 231 to 69 to Lake Guntersville to show hubby if he likes fishing or boating. It is a pretty drive down the mountain with the lake below. Boondockers or Top O the River are good places for lunch both on the water. You can make a loop leave H'ville using 431 go through G'ville to 69 then take 231 back to H'ville. You will go through the big town of Arab 'the home of the Polk Salait festival'.
I love Twickenham area, the houses are beautiful and they each have a sign telling when they were originally built.
Have fun.. The Tennessee Valley is a great area, something for everyone.

Old 08-27-2007, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reactionary View Post
The Embassy Suites downtown is new; overlooks Big Spring Park, Museums, and the Civic Center; and is convenient to everything.

Greek - Papou's on South Courthouse Square. Mexican - I like Rosie's (S. Parkway or W. University Drive), but there are too many to list. Try Humphrey's for cocktails or dinner.

Driving tour of SE HSV: starting downtown, drive through the Twickenham Historic District, go to Five Points then up Pratt Ave / Bankhead Pkwy over Monte Sano Mountain to Governors Drive. Head East (away from town) to Hampton Cove then back over the mountain on Sutton Rd to Bailey Cove Road (aka Carl T Jones aka Airport Rd). Head South to Ditto Landing Marina (Green Cove Rd) then back up the Parkway - or down the Parkway to visit Keeper in Arab.

BTW Keeper - any good Middle Eastern food in Arab?
/ jk
Perfect! Thank you so much!

Old 08-27-2007, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dee 42 View Post
You might want to drive over the river to Decatur and see the historic sections, Line St, Ferry, Jackson St, to name a few. There is shopping downtown at Bank St and Lagniappes has great lunches and wonderful iced coffees ! In Decatur, you should see Wheeler Wildlife Refuge and Point Mallard Park.....if youre curious to see more "exclusive" neighborhoods, Burningtree Mountain and Country Club are v. nice.....we like to head out toward Burningtree to surrounding areas on our bike . Good Luck !
Yes, we definately want to see the historic areas of Decatur. I am considering buying a townhouse in Decatur, but I need to warm hubby up to the idea He wants to stop working, so not having a house payment is VERY important. I will try to warm him up with a tour of the nice, historic area!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area