Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2006, 12:58 PM

4 posts, read 12,199 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlh113
I am also moving to Katy from Florida, but NW Florida. I have a son entering high school and would appreciate any advice on the schools in Katy. I have read the information from the Katy ISD and individual school websites, but some real information from students or parents would be appreciated.
I moved to Katy and went to Taylor High School my sophomore-senior years. I moved from Tennessee. This school district is supposed to be one of the best in the country, but the first thing I noticed was the rampant drug problem. Over the years the crime has skyrocketed, with people being shot inside 2 different restaraunts within a month of each other. Don't be fooled into thinking it is a safe place. Its also very hot with little trees! The construction on I-10 into Houston is horrible and a commute takes so long. (unless you get a toll pass for the westpark tollway) Oh, and on the way home from work.. 5 or 6 o'clock you have traffic plus the setting sun all the way home as Katy is directly west from Houston. I suggest The Woodlands area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2006, 08:49 AM

5 posts, read 44,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pumpkincat
I moved from Tennessee. Over the years the crime has skyrocketed, with people being shot inside 2 different restaraunts within a month of each other. Don't be fooled into thinking it is a safe place.
Maybe from the country in Tenn there is no crime, but this is a metro area of the 4th largest city in the US. As for the shootings, I'd love to know when those happened. I know many HC sherrifs, constables and Katy Police officers, and that's news to me. Many of them live within 3 blocks of my house. Why? Because this is one of the safest neighborhoods for their families.

Quote:
Its also very hot with little trees! The construction on I-10 into Houston is horrible and a commute takes so long. (unless you get a toll pass for the westpark tollway) Oh, and on the way home from work.. 5 or 6 o'clock you have traffic plus the setting sun all the way home as Katy is directly west from Houston.
Hot, yes! Your 50 miles from the land center point of the central curve of the Gulf of Mexico. Humidity is a way of life. You've heard the phrase "The tension in this room is so tight you could cut it with a knife". That's not the tension, that's just the summer breeze. As for the setting sun on the way home, duh! There is a reason Houston is known as the Air Conditioning capital of the world. If you are dumb enough to look for a car dealer that actually might have 1 car in stock w/o AC just for you, may you swerve off the freeway at a point were they removed the guard rails due to construction . And on the lighter side, invest in a satelite radio. It's hard to be upset @ the road while listening to a replay of Howard Stern upseting your moral sensibilitties .

Quote:
I moved to Katy and went to Taylor High School my sophomore-senior years. This school district is supposed to be one of the best in the country, but the first thing I noticed was the rampant drug problem. I suggest The Woodlands area.
The Woodlands? The traffic may be better now that contruction is done on I-45 but it's twice as far from Downtown. And the people have more money. You think there was a drug problem in school her, well richer kids + better drugs. I went to a high school with a similar mix of money, and the kids mostly had weed. In Sugarland, they had a little more money and everyone was doing coke. When I went to college, I met a lot of even richer kids from Plano (Dallas metro). They were all into heroin. Richer neighborhoods only mean less minorities, more cliches, and better drugs. You'll need all that extra money for the rehab and years of psychotherapy your children will endure.

Old 04-12-2006, 11:53 AM

5 posts, read 33,794 times
I appreciate the input regarding drugs in the schools in Katy. It is high school and I know that drugs are available, its my job to educate my son regarding that. What I was really asking about is the quality of the education. If anyone can provide some input along those lines, it would be appreciated.

I now live in NW FL. I know humidity and bugs. What else does Katy have to offer?

Old 04-13-2006, 06:06 AM

Default Things to do in Katy

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlh113
I appreciate the input regarding drugs in the schools in Katy. It is high school and I know that drugs are available, its my job to educate my son regarding that. What I was really asking about is the quality of the education. If anyone can provide some input along those lines, it would be appreciated.

I now live in NW FL. I know humidity and bugs. What else does Katy have to offer?
Sorry, I feel like I answered this a lot lately, but many have been privately emailing me instead of posting in this group. The easier question is, what does Katy not offer. The only thing left to know go to Houston for me are the big oriental grocery stores (not enough asians out this way to warrant one). Best place to get fresh fish and certain specialty items.
Katy has one of the best school districts in the state. That's one of the reasons we have the lowest number of private schools per capita in the metro area. The educational programs are top notch, the resources appear limitless (our new Merrill Center for instance), and the sports programs at several of the high schools rank among the best of the state.
For shopping, it's become the new Mecca. We have a Mills Mall here. Two large theatres to keep you from going in to Houston, as well as a new Alamo Drafthouse theatre (it's theatre for adults; the buy up a closed theatre, take out every other row of seats and add table for dining, including beer and wine). We have a burgeoning of restaurants in the area in the last few years, with a lot more specialty restaurants showing up (Vietnamese, Indian).
We don't have a ton of cutural places/events, but we do have the Forbidden Gardens. It is a replica of of China set up by a local Chinese billionaire who wants to remain anonymous.
(More to follow)

Old 04-13-2006, 06:18 AM

We also have a yearly festival celebrating the pioneer days of Katy in the 1890's. It's always $1 per person and the kids always love it. There is also Katy Market days once a month.

And let's not forget the parks. There are 2 resevoirs built on this side of town by the Army Corp of Engineers years ago. Parks were built in them to make use of the land when it doesn't flood. To the north is Bear Creek Park (which we share with Houston). It has a private archery range/area you can join cheaply as well as several pavillions, a golf course, Horse and Ranch Club, and hosts the largest youth soccer tournament in the state every year.

To the south is George Bush Park. It includes a Bark Park (for dogs) name after the famous cocker Millie Bush. It has a Shooting Range, multiple soccer fields, a lake, and a model airplane flying field.

In Katy proper, behind the police station is Peckham park. It has a natatorium, a stocked lake w/ pier, and an 18 hole miniature golf course (free of course). Very popular for birthdays. There are several other large parks in the area as well as a new one being built to the far north.

What we don't have: night clubs, a gang problem, high crime rate, run down delapidated structures, lax homeowners associations, declining property values.

Old 04-13-2006, 07:14 AM

5 posts, read 33,794 times
Thanks for your input. It reinforces my decision that Katy is the place for me. I will be looking for a house to rent (2/2 min.) if you know of any, please let me know.

Old 07-18-2006, 06:16 AM

6 posts, read 27,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by honeyinhouston
Well Katy, TX is nice but I like the Sugar Land and Pearland area better. If you are going to commute to Downtown Houston for work....you will have a helluva ride.

Of the 3: Sugar Land, Pearland, and Katy, is there one area that is more culturally diverse than the other? I'm looking for an area that has a little more diversity to match my diverse family Of course finding an area that also has quality education, responsible homeowners, and low crime are my 3 bigger concerns....

Old 11-25-2006, 03:06 PM

5 posts, read 21,757 times
Look out for flying Texas roaches. Boy are they BIG!

Old 11-25-2006, 03:37 PM

1,336 posts, read 6,451,629 times
Sugar Land will be the place for you if you're looking for diversity. It's one of the most diverse 'nice' suburbs in the nation.

Old 04-07-2009, 11:16 PM

6 posts, read 28,960 times
I grew up in Katy. Graduated from one of the local schools. At that time there were just three. I am now a local real estate agent. I have been in the area over 30 years and now my son attends a Katy High School. There are so many great things about all of the Katy schools. What types of activities is your child interested in....some schools excel in certain areas. If I can help provide more information I will be happy to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston