Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2010, 02:26 PM

64 posts, read 186,621 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I am thinking of relocating to Houston with me four kids, ages 9-16. We are looking for a new town to start over in after a few years of bad luck. (bankruptcy, divorce, foreclosures)

1) We would like to find an area were the kids can walk and get and ice cream, a latte, or sit outside and enjoy lunch at a cafe. My kids are not into major sports, more on the lines of ice skating, laser tag, and skateboarding.

My daughter is into art, photography, manga, anime and anything Japanese, France or England related.

What about Science centers, aquariums, theme parks, water parks (here it is $38 a piece for 4 hours...YIKES)

2) I am just starting my research on the Houston but would like some in put on hospitals, crime...what areas to really avoid, shopping (food & clothes), weather (daughter can't take huge amounts of humidity) and schools. I currently academically homeschooling them. Yet, they are interested in returning to school rather it be a public, private, alternative such as a Sudbury. (I have a LD child who needs OT and Speech, which is also why we need a great hospital near by)

3) What is the insurance, electricity, and taxes like?

4) How are the recycling laws? Here we take our trash to the dump. I have a friend who lives in CT and she has to wash anything (even dog food cans) that goes into the trash and remove the labels. Just wondering if TX is that strict or not.

5) We are religious but don't go to church. (Here in Virginia you are the devil himself if you do not go to church) Want an area where it is not talked about every minute of the day.

6) I will be renting ($1000-1400) and work from home so not tied to a curtain area.

7) Are there areas to avoid due to smells, race tracks (noise), etc?

8) Where do the singles (45 ish) meet one another? Lol

9) Last but not least, an area where Yankees are welcomed. (True story: when I moved here I went to the land deed office. The guy heard my Boston accent and said, "You a Yankee? You better get your deed and get the hell out of here." He was NOT joking!!!!!! In fact the bumper-sticker around town says, "Terrorism has been going on since 1861." (Civil war 1861-1865)

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Danni~
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2010, 02:38 PM

10,114 posts, read 19,415,962 times
If your dd can't take a lot of humidity, Houston isn't your best choice. Are there other reasons for chosing Houston, such as family, job, etc? Otherwise, I would write Houston off my list.

We lived there almost 15 years, and I had constant sinus problems. Whenever my mother came to visit her asthma acted up and she would up in the ER. My kids had constant ear infections.

Houston's humidity rarely goes below 90%. Its right on the gulf. My FIL said you grow gills when you move there! High humidity, coupled with one of the worst pollution situations in the country, doesn't make for a good environment for anyone with lung problems.

Otherwise, we liked Houston and enjoyed our time there. I just went there last week, I always pack Sudaphed and take some before going, just because of the humidity. Its thick as pea soup at times, reminds you of London.

Old 05-16-2010, 02:40 PM

Oh, but medical---are you aware Houston Medical Center is the largest in the world and considered to be among the best? I still drive there for speciality care. People come from all over the world for their medical care, you can't beat it!

Old 05-16-2010, 02:46 PM

10,090 posts, read 42,433,741 times
Agreed...if your daughter can not take humidity, no use in addressing the other questions. Houston is Humid with a capital H and there is no getting away from it unless your indoors 24/7.

Old 05-16-2010, 03:03 PM

64 posts, read 186,621 times
Wow, humidity that bad, huh? Yikes. I can really move anywhere in the USA. Although, I have found that most places I can't get what I want for rent. ($1000-1400: 4 bedroom, 2 bath, garage & yard) and a great hospital is a must. Any suggestions of such a place????

Old 05-16-2010, 03:19 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,060,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danni923 View Post
Hi,

I am thinking of relocating to Houston with me four kids, ages 9-16. We are looking for a new town to start over in after a few years of bad luck. (bankruptcy, divorce, foreclosures)

1) We would like to find an area were the kids can walk and get and ice cream, a latte, or sit outside and enjoy lunch at a cafe. My kids are not into major sports, more on the lines of ice skating, laser tag, and skateboarding.

Sugar Land, nice residential area, plenty of parks, yes it gets hot, but it's something you can grow into. Everything is air conditioned, and you'll be fine, unless you take extensive walks around the park at 12 noon. Even then it's something you can grow into, people over do how hot Houston gets.
The area is very diverse and it's regarded as a great place to raise families, many parks, great public schools in the First Colony area. And access to some Hospitals in the area like Memorial Herman, Houston Baptist Hospital, etc.. they're all pretty good.
And it's good restaurants for Indian, Chinese, Vietnamese, Italian, French, Mexican, and other American foods, not just one of each but tons and tons of each culture. There's a lot of shopping opportunities here as well.

My daughter is into art, photography, manga, anime and anything Japanese, France or England related.

That's fine, most kids who I went to high school and middle school with were into anime and manga as well. The First Colony area has a lot of positive diversity for everyone. You can find tons of people you have things in common with. People of all kinds of ethnic backgrounds.

What about Science centers, aquariums, theme parks, water parks (here it is $38 a piece for 4 hours...YIKES)

Houston Science Museum is one of my favorite museums that I have been too, it's a lot of fun, we have a great museum district in Houston. We also have a wonderful Theater district normally in the top 5 in the country, as for theme parks, they're building Earth Quest Adventures soon, so that should be a reliever (hopefully then can get started), for water parks in metro area theres Splash Town and Sclitterbahn Galveston. There's a NICE Houston downtown aquarium.

2) I am just starting my research on the Houston but would like some in put on hospitals, crime...what areas to really avoid, shopping (food & clothes), weather (daughter can't take huge amounts of humidity) and schools. I currently academically homeschooling them. Yet, they are interested in returning to school rather it be a public, private, alternative such as a Sudbury. (I have a LD child who needs OT and Speech, which is also why we need a great hospital near by)

Texas Medical Center is the largest medical center in the world, number one for cancer research and treatment, and in the top three for cardiovascular treatment and research. People come from across the world to be treated here at times. So hospital wise you're fine. Even Sugar Land being a suburb has good hospitals in the area, nearly ALL the suburbs have great hospitals. So you'll be okay in this area.

3) What is the insurance, electricity, and taxes like?

Property taxes exist, and can be high, but there is no state income tax, and most things are relatively cheaper here than they are on the east coast and west coast. Electricity and other taxes are fine, they're nothing to hassle about.

4) How are the recycling laws? Here we take our trash to the dump. I have a friend who lives in CT and she has to wash anything (even dog food cans) that goes into the trash and remove the labels. Just wondering if TX is that strict or not.

Recycling laws aren't strict here at all, just put it in the recycle/trash bin, put it out in the front yard on trash/recycle day and the guys who come for that take care of the rest, pretty nice and simple. No hassles here.

5) We are religious but don't go to church. (Here in Virginia you are the devil himself if you do not go to church) Want an area where it is not talked about every minute of the day.

I'm Hindu, I have never had anyone hassle me about my religion or try to convert me, or even ask me in detail about it. People here go about their business, every place in the world has it's religious preachers, but those people in Houston, NYC, Chicago, LA where ever are in the minority 1-2% of the population. You'll be fine, no ones going to bother you about going to church or anything. I mean if I can make it in Houston not getting harassed, you should be more than fine!

6) I will be renting ($1000-1400) and work from home so not tied to a curtain area.

You're budget is more than good, it's great for Sugar Land. It's great for Katy as well.

7) Are there areas to avoid due to smells, race tracks (noise), etc?

Avoid areas like Pasadena if you want to avoid those things. you'll be fine, what I love about home in Sugar Land is that it's nice and quiet. You can go about your business without being harangued by others and noise.

8) Where do the singles (45 ish) meet one another? Lol

Hmmm, no idea, you normally meet people casually just like any other place. Stores, parks, parents of your friends, events, neighbors, there are so many variations of places you could meet someone. But most probably in Uptown Houston where the Galleria is. That's the best bet!!

9) Last but not least, an area where Yankees are welcomed. (True story: when I moved here I went to the land deed office. The guy heard my Boston accent and said, "You a Yankee? You better get your deed and get the hell out of here." He was NOT joking!!!!!! In fact the bumper-sticker around town says, "Terrorism has been going on since 1861." (Civil war 1861-1865)

I have a lot of friends who are Yankee's, they get around just fine. Houston isn't the south first, it's Texas first. You won't see bumper stickers like that here, or anyone bother you about where you're from. It's a pretty international city. I mean if people from India and China who can barely speak English make a comfortable life here, then someone from the north should be more than able to as well.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Danni~
I know humidity plays a big role for you, but it's something that can grow on you. Yes it's hot in Houston and if you absolutely with a passion hate humidity I suggest Austin, Texas, but people here can get by and go about their business. Normally Houston's out look on it's "humid" weather is over exaggerated. Everything is air conditioned, where ever you go you'll be fine. The nights here feel amazing, it gets hot during the day, but the evenings are nice as well, the afternoons get/day time is when it's hot, and even then you'll be fine. 4-7 year old kids go out and play in the park all the time, and if they can do it, you can too. It's not that bad. Like I said, AC is everywhere, you'll be fine.

Old 05-16-2010, 03:21 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,060,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danni923 View Post
Wow, humidity that bad, huh? Yikes. I can really move anywhere in the USA. Although, I have found that most places I can't get what I want for rent. ($1000-1400: 4 bedroom, 2 bath, garage & yard) and a great hospital is a must. Any suggestions of such a place????
The only other suggestion I have is Austin. But read my other post first before hand.

Also, let me know if you need any help with anything, if you have any questions, please message me on City Data. I can answer most of them.

Old 05-16-2010, 03:30 PM

1,678 posts, read 3,740,726 times
If you do rule out Houston due to the humidity issue any other major city (ie Dallas, Austin, San Antonio) should have what you are looking for as well although the whole state is a furnace in the summer.

Good Luck.

Old 05-16-2010, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmShahi View Post
I know humidity plays a big role for you, but it's something that can grow on you. Yes it's hot in Houston and if you absolutely with a passion hate humidity I suggest Austin, Texas, but people here can get by and go about their business. Normally Houston's out look on it's "humid" weather is over exaggerated. Everything is air conditioned, where ever you go you'll be fine. The nights here feel amazing, it gets hot during the day, but the evenings are nice as well, the afternoons get/day time is when it's hot, and even then you'll be fine. 4-7 year old kids go out and play in the park all the time, and if they can do it, you can too. It's not that bad. Like I said, AC is everywhere, you'll be fine.
Oh, but I disagree. Even with AC, the humidity gets to you. And you're constantly battling mold, etc. I found the nights to be as bad as the days, we always had the AC on. Count on sky-high electric bills, regardless of what you do, that Ac has to run on something and it costs.

If your DD has health-problems that can be worsened by humidity, I wouldn't considrr Houston if you have a choice. Even though the world's largest/greatest medical center is in your backyard, why provoke problems just so you can live near treatment facilities?

Old 05-16-2010, 03:38 PM

192 posts, read 505,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
Houston's humidity rarely goes below 90%.
Houston is humid, but its relative humidity ranges from 65-90%, with an average morning humidity of 89% & an afternoon humidity of 65%.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston