Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2008, 03:15 PM

Location: where nothin ever grows. no rain or rivers flow, TX
2,028 posts, read 8,119,865 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhang Fei View Post
I assume this is round-trip. That might be a terrible commute for Pennsylvania, but is pretty decent for someone commuting into New York City from the burbs by driving to the train station or bus stop, and then using mass transit.
except you have the option to sleep when using the train.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2008, 05:28 PM

1,329 posts, read 3,543,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wysiwyg View Post
except you have the option to sleep when using the train.
That works if you can sleep standing up, like an elephant.

Old 12-19-2008, 06:20 PM

Quote:
That works if you can sleep standing up, like an elephant.
man, you must come late all the time or absolutely no luck when people get off. my train rides in and out of NYC has been mostly great and restful, seated

Old 12-19-2008, 06:44 PM

1,329 posts, read 3,543,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wysiwyg View Post
man, you must come late all the time or absolutely no luck when people get off. my train rides in and out of NYC has been mostly great and restful, seated
You must have worked the night shift.

Old 12-19-2008, 09:11 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,199,026 times
Quote:
He works every shift, that is why he has no life here in Houston.

Old 12-20-2008, 12:11 AM

17 posts, read 31,564 times
Steelers Fan, think long and hard about if your dream of a good life is primarily defined by home ownership. If so, may I suggest a cold shower and some introspection. Houston home prices are much lower than many other places in the U.S. But it comes at a high price as there is never a free lunch in life.

Culturally and socially, Houston is nothing like the NE United States. Amongst the general population here, you will find a much higher level of ignorance and general stupidity than what you'll be used to in NY state. This is due, in large part, to the horrible public education system in Texas and the overwhelming number of Hispanic and Black minorities that overruns this city. Unless you can afford to live in the wealthier (mostly white and asian) northern/western neighborhoods, be prepared for either daily doses of third world ghetto attitudes from the people around you or daily round-trip work commutes of 2+hrs in stifling traffic. In the nicer neighborhoods inside the Beltway, you'll be looking at prices in the $450k+ range, which I assume, would defeat the purpose you guys had for moving here.

Old 12-20-2008, 12:37 AM

Quote:
nah. at night I get the limo service. corporate perks at my bank.
but seriously, NJ trains have more seating space than standing areas, so more than 50% of the riders are seated. its not a straphanger ride *if you remember* . If can get a seat, why not you? whites, blacks, hipanics, indians, chinese are taking seats. I'm starting to think youre ummm different? or possibly feeling so accomplished that you made a move away from the big bad city and telling grandpa stories as if you survived hiroshima. but hey, as long as you still remember the names of the people in your household i'll be enjoying your stories

Old 12-20-2008, 02:26 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,115,646 times
I think Houston's traffic and ugliness are overexaggerated. If you move far out then expect a long commute, especially if your commute involves 290. If you move 20 miles outside of Boston, Philly, DC, Chicago, etc. then you are going to have a long commute as well. Instead of spending of time in you car, it might be on a train. However, I bet the commute time is roughly the same door to door. The point is take account how far you are willingly to commute.

Here's some advice about moving to Houston. You will need a car, plain and simple. Every major highway that leads to the 'burbs has Park&Ride service that serves Houston's major inner city employment centers. Sugarland and Pearland are Houston's closest suburbs. They both have several master planned communities (MPCs) but Pearland is an overall younger community. MPCs offer the most bang for your buck in my opinion but that is just a general statement. Katy, Cypress, Clear Lake, Kingwood, etc. are all great areas as well but it really depends on where you are working. Deciding where you based on where you work will serve you well becauser you don't want to commute across town.

Finally, the further you move out the less green it gets. People bad mouth southwest Houston but it is a great example of how Houston grows in terms of greenary. Meyerland, Westbury, and Fondren Southwest all have large mature trees that provide a constant canopy in most areas. Not to mention how Memorial feels like East Texas pine forest. Houston really does offer some nice scenary once you get of the highways and major roads.

Old 12-20-2008, 09:57 PM

279 posts, read 1,163,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpgiordano View Post
Hi Steelers Fan, We are moving to Houston in 2 months from Dutchess County NY. Same concerns apply to us as well. An additional concern is the poor public transportation there that we are used to. Traffic is bad, so think about your commute. My new job is in downtown Houston so we would like to be inside the 610 loop. We are finding it difficult to find a place in a good area at less than $500k. The neighborhoods in Houston are not at all like Westchester county - few sidewalks and the areas are tough or very close to bad areas. I hear the schools are terrible. That's the bad news. On the good side, overall, the area is booming and there are some great developments and cheaper new construction further out. We will likely rent for 6 - 12 months buying, just to see if we like it and to locate the right neighborhood/house.

I'm from Pgh originally / Steelers fanatic. I hear there are lots of us down there. If you decide to hitch up the conestoga wagon, drop me a line, maybe keep in touch. giddyup.
Another thing you have to consider even if you do find your home under $500k is that there are no zoning laws enforced as in NY....someone can have a gas station or crappy house right next to yours. Its actually quite shocking seeing this all over town. This would never fly in the NY/NJ areas.

I would highly suggest anyone rent before they buy. There are slummy areas around here and even close to the nice areas and sometimes around the block. Its all mixed in. Only private developments or communities of wealthier standards have restrictions regarding this and I think you will be looking higher then $500k.

Traffic here though Texans complain is nothing like NY/NJ. 610 is bad and other routes but honestly 20-30 minutes around the loop and you're there....everywhere for that matter. If you live further out it can be longer...an hour or more i'm told by people who live out further.

The Woodlands are a beautiful area and some parts of the Galleria & River Oaks in Private developments.

Yes it is cheaper living here, but the closer in the city area you are it can be pricey. Insurance is more expensive here no matter what anyone tells you and that's because all the insurance companies and people I have spoken with said that is due to the high theft rate in they city area. This is pretty common sense though just like back home in NY/NJ. I just assumed that would be cheaper here too because it was the south but its not so.

No income tax so that's a benefit in your pocket. It pretty much even's out in certain things.
I do think its less expensive property wise by far then NY/NJ and you can get alot more and new homes built for a fraction of what they cost back home, but you should definately explore your areas and communities before buying anything.
I did alot of research but the things I saw online were so different when in person. I recommend also a trip out here too and drive around for a couple of days to really see for yourself.

I'm saving to go to Austin in a few months personally.
Good Luck either way
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston