Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-05-2010, 04:47 PM

410 posts, read 1,495,671 times

Advertisements

Hello Everyone,

I am looking for some advice.

I would like to get another degree/certificate to have something to fall back on. I don't necessarily want to go to school for 4 years to get a bachelors degree. (I already have one in Sociology. I do plan on getting my masters at some point and time. I'm not able to do so now because of my work schedule)

I am looking for some type of certification or 2 year degree I can take classes online or on the weekends. (I travel therefore the weekdays are not an option for me to take classes). I know about nursing and teaching as an alternative career but I'm wondering about other avenues of employment that would be good for me to pursue.

I'm not looking for that career choice of like/would love but something that is a fall back on situation. (Nothing that includes me building a computer/computer support or engineering......sorry I don't do well with those types of things)

I've been thinking about medical billing and coding, paralegal or something in human resources. (Those are a couple of things online that I've glanced at) Also please include what schools/hospitals/offices offers these classes.

Any other avenues I can go into for a second career that you know about or places that offer classes of whatever sort that would be great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2010, 05:43 PM

4,900 posts, read 13,740,597 times
Nursing may not be feasible because you have labs and can not do it all online.

Old 04-05-2010, 06:51 PM

Thanks for the input Chris but I wasn't thinking about nursing.......I was just saying everybody always gives the response of "nursing or teaching" so I didn't want anyone to tell me that again.

Old 04-05-2010, 08:20 PM

4,900 posts, read 13,740,597 times
Wow I swear I read nursing in there. I guess all these threads blend together after a bit. If you have time to do another 2 year degree why wouldn't you have time to get a Master's degree which also takes 2 years and can be done online? Both UH-Clear Lake and UH-Victoria offer online masters programs so maybe that is something to consider? What field are you currently in?

Old 04-06-2010, 07:14 AM

Thanks for your response Chris. Yes you did see nursing in there. I was just saying I didn't want anyone to give me the typical answer of teaching or nursing because I'm not interested in either one of those.

I would like to get my master's in public health or public administration. There are only a couple of schools I've seen that offer that type of degree in the area. With that type of degree most of the classes aren't online.

I don't think it will be a 2 year time frame necessarily since I've got a bachelor's (some of the classes will compensate for the core classes I need for an Associates). Versus getting a Master's will take me much longer since I have to start from scratch (in a sense) and it will take me much longer than 2 years since I would only be going part time.

Some certificates are 9 month programs or a little longer that I've heard about but that's in class so that's much shorter but I don't know if I can find any that are 100% online or on weekends.

I will check with both of the UH's (I didn't think of that). The field I'm currently in isn't what I went to school for or what I want to advance myself in. (I'm a software trainer) After this point in my career everything in this job if (I wanted to advance) would have to be techincal which I don't have an interest in.

Anyone else with any ideas? Or heard of any classes like that?

Old 04-06-2010, 08:35 AM

299 posts, read 1,017,037 times
I know project management is a hot topic in many companies at the moment. There are online professional project managment certifications. Not really a degree, but a skill that caries some weight if you are looking for an office type job. General project management also spans a wide range of fields, so you are not locked into just IT, or Health Care, or Oil and Gas.

Old 04-06-2010, 09:17 AM

Thanks Baggiegenes!

I would've never thought about Project management. I will look that up to see what schools have that as an online option.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: